has anyone else successfully given up caffeine?

Forum: Trying to Conceive Your First Child

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kbpeanut

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive Your First Child LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 13th, 2012, 08:12 AM
IndyMommyWannabe's Avatar Always Hoping & Praying
Ok - so for a couple of different reasons (my weight loss being one of them...) has anyone here given up caffeine successfully?

I LOVE my coffee...every morning I have coffee with sugar free torani syrup and half and half. I HAVE to start my day like this.

I haven't had coffee now for THREE days!

I'm also trying to give up diet pop...I gave it up for YEARS but have gone back to drinking it occassionally (literally I'm talking maybe 2 or 3 a week, if that?

However, I did just buy the AWESOME soda stream...where you can make your own at home...and I've been hitting that up a LOT lately (like 2-3 glasses a NIGHT!)...

So I've stopped using it as well (although my husband really likes it and will continue to drink it...)

But I'm trying to give it up both for my weight loss and for my fertility. I don't honestly know if it'll help but I know it can't hurt!

anyone?

IVF=ONLY option

October 2012 = Fresh IVF #1 - retrieved 8, 6 fertilized. Transfer 2. Fail.March 2013 = Frozen #1 - Transfer 2 of 4 left. Fail.
February 2014 = Frozen #2 - Transfer remaining 2 - IMPLANTATION!
8 weeks, D&C - blighted ovum - Triploidy

July 2014 = Fresh IVF #2!

"Sometimes the bad things that happen in our lives put us directly on the path to the best things that will ever happen to us!"

Come visit my blog/journal to learn more about our journey - Our Adventure through Infertility
February 13th, 2012, 08:26 AM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I did, but it wasn't a big deal for me because caffeine puts me to sleep anyways. I hope someone who cut it out and feels like they need it can come along with some advice!

February 13th, 2012, 08:28 AM
Nicholle ttc's Avatar TTC our first!
I have not given up caffeine completely, but I've reduced it down to only 12 ounces of Diet soda a day. I was drinking over 32 ounces a day of caffeine, coffee and soda combined--ewww, not in the same beverage--but you know what I mean. It was definitely diffiuclt to give up, but I did it for weight loss and fertility as well. I don't plan on giving up my 12 ounces of diet soda a day until I'm pregnant, but who knows, maybe before....we'll see. Good luck!

Natural cycles-August 2011-July 2012
August 2012-October 2012 clomid and progesterone
November 2012-IUI
December 2012, cysts from IUI, on bcp

January 2013-February 2013, long protocol IVF
15 eggs retrieved, 11 mature, 7 fertilized with ICSI
All 7 made it to 5 day transfer, 2 were transferred
Only 1 frozen snowbaby
1st IVF

May 10, 2013, lap sx, Stage 1 endo

June 2013 - MA Round 2
Femara + hcg shot
IUI # 2

FET tentatively scheduled for 10/31/13

Have never seen a bfp.

February 13th, 2012, 08:30 AM
Sapphera's Avatar NTNP Host
As someone who gets migraines, absolutely not. Pain relievers work better with caffeine (many even have caffeine in them), so while I don't have a lot of caffeine, I still have some.

Note: I'm not a coffee drinker .. so my caffeine is limited to hot chocolate or the occasional coke
NTNP #2
February 13th, 2012, 08:35 AM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
I am a big coffee drinker as well, but a long time ago, I switched to half caf/half decaf. That's pretty much what I drink every day, but when I need to cut down on caf for any reason, it's pretty easy to wean myself. If you're having a hard time without your coffee try decaf or at least half/half. Then wean yourself slowly off the caf until you're all decaf. Some people would rather give up coffee totally, than drink decaf, but for me, the half/half works for me!

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
February 13th, 2012, 08:35 AM
blueeyes25s's Avatar Expecting #1
I haven't given up caffeine completely but I don't drink a lot to begin with, just on occasion I'll have a diet soda.

Forever missing my angel 2010

February 13th, 2012, 08:36 AM
KatieKat's Avatar TTC #1
I mostly gave up caffeine successfully. I was never a coffee drinker, but I was a MAJOR tea drinker. I'd have a giant one in the morning, and then a few others throughout the day. I found giving up my tea to be very difficult - it took me a few months (and my body did not like it). I still drink one cup of decaf tea in the morning (I know there is a little caffeine in decaf - but it's not much), and the rest of the time I drink herbal tea. I also gave up drinking coke and other caffeinated pops, - I wasn't a huge pop drinker, but I found that to be hard as well.

I don't really have any really good hints, other than stick with it. At first, I 'fell off the wagon' a few times, and it was always harder to get 'back on'. It's crazy how our body becomes used to/dependent on these things. It gets easier, I don't notice it at all nowadays, and if I want to drink pop I just pick root beer or ginger ale.

~thanks to Jaidynsmum for my perfect siggy!~

February 13th, 2012, 08:36 AM
JennyLee's Avatar TTC #1 after loss
I still have one half-caff coffee in the morning. I really look forward to that coffee, and I need the little bit of caffeine to wake me up. I've given up the second cup of coffee, 1-3 sodas/day, and occasional black tea I used to have. You should try decaf and/or caffeine free soda.
February 13th, 2012, 10:32 AM
Thanks for all the replies!! thing is - I'm an "all or nothing" type of person - and have to do things cold-turkey. This isn't a permenant thing by any means (which helps my decision, lol) - at least right now it isn't 'permenant'...but i'm really hoping it helps get that darned scale moving! I've been back on low carb for 2.5 weeks now (again, cold-turkey...) and am ONLY down 5 pounds...which yes I'm very happy for those 5 pounds - but in the past, 3 weeks in and i'd be at LEAST 10-12 pounds down by now...

IVF=ONLY option

October 2012 = Fresh IVF #1 - retrieved 8, 6 fertilized. Transfer 2. Fail.March 2013 = Frozen #1 - Transfer 2 of 4 left. Fail.

"Sometimes the bad things that happen in our lives put us directly on the path to the best things that will ever happen to us!"

Come visit my blog/journal to learn more about our journey - Our Adventure through Infertility
February 13th, 2012, 10:38 AM
SammyJ's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've just switched to the half/caff kind, which is still really good. I only have one small cup of coffee a day anyway, and I am also not drinking diet soda anymore either, although I love it. I don't think I will give of coffee all the way, unless I have a problem with it during pregnancy or something. I don't need the diet soda though, so it is much easier to stop drinking.

Thanks to *Sharon* for my awesome siggy! My pregnancy blog

February 13th, 2012, 01:19 PM
minalyn's Avatar MOMMY to Evan 1/7/13
Send a message via Yahoo to minalyn Send a message via Skype™ to minalyn
What about decaf? I drink water and sprite since it's decaffinated but only once in a while. I can drink up to 100 ounces of water a day, just like a fish!

February 13th, 2012, 04:07 PM
HopeTea's Avatar Cautiously expecting #1
Like Robyn, caffeine makes me sleepy. I've always loved coffee and tea, but it was still pretty easy to give up (went cold turkey AND cut alcohol at the SAME time! Talk about my awesome willpower, yeah? ). So I guess my case won't help you very much! Maybe if you have a good result from cutting the caffeine (my sleep schedule went back to normal and I stopped being so tired during the day, to name one), it'll encourage you to keep it up? Or replace it with something else. I drink herbal teas constantly and never miss coffee. But I might start allowing myself a cup of green tea here and there once I get passed the first trimester. Maybe. Good luck!

February 13th, 2012, 06:10 PM
Cait&AngelAbove's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have tried a couple times and have been unsuccessful. But I am trying again!

Thank you so much Bokkechick for the perfect siggie!!!
12-10-10 2-6-12
February 13th, 2012, 06:30 PM
I read earlier (I really need to stop googling! lol) - but I read earlier that women going through IVF really should limit (if not completely stop drinking) caffeine. I'm not on here to tell anyone else what to do (but if you're a googler like me you'll google! lol)

I've read though that caffeine can interfere with implantation at some level and a lot of sites i've read said that women going through IVF really shouldn't drink/eat caffeinated foods/beverages. so at this point...I am willing to try ANYTHING ya know?!

IVF=ONLY option

February 13th, 2012, 06:44 PM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
I've read the same thing, and hence why i've cut down (trying my darndest to switch to water), but my doc said whatever i'm doing should be just fine...one of those "everything is fine in moderation" things I guess. Either way, I'm doing what I feel is right, and you should too! The only caffeine I drink is in my coffee, and now instead of half caf, I'm making probably 90% decaf, with just a hit of caf in there.
IndyMommyWannabe likes this.

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search