Hittin' the RE trail again...

Forum: Trying to Conceive Your First Child

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Coley
  • 2 Post By fromustobaby
  • 1 Post By kbpeanut

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive Your First Child LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 10th, 2012, 02:57 PM
Coley's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I know you guys haven't seen much of me for a while... but we had a veritable crapstorm blow through our lives. I'll warn you now... this update will probably be a bit lengthy, so you might wanna top off your ice tea now!

I had two back to back cycles that were so totally off and weird that I had the highest hopes I've ever had and when it all came to a very late end, I was totally devastated. I was bitter, angry, sad, depressed... the whole lot. It was hard to smile and be happy for others, so it was best to just stay away.

Add to that, my DH lost his job. Not only did it suck because it was a good job and it just sucks to lose your job, period, especially in this economy... but I freaked because that meant we'd be losing our health insurance as well. Our 2 remaining IUI's and $10k toward IVF!! I saw it all slipping through my fingers and just couldn't deal.

Not knowing how long it was going to take DH to find a new job, we moved in with my parents so we wouldn't have all of the normal monthly expenses of our own household anymore. My mom is having knee replacement surgery (first one is scheduled for August 6th) and my dad has macular degeneration, so he's not to drive anymore. So the move actually benefits everyone in different ways.

Luckily, DH was given a decent severance package with continuation of our benefits until the end of June. With the amount of the severance, paid out vacation time, emptying our 401k and what he receives from unemployment... living with my parents; we figured we can afford to pay for COBRA to continue our insurance for a while, to the tune of almost $906 bucks a month.

We sat down and had a chat and decided that we'd head back to the RE and use what we've got before we haven't got it. I'd fought accepting the fact that we'd have to go IVF for so long, but I don't have the luxury of fighting it any longer. The clock is ticking and time, is literally money. DH is keen to try an IUI with injectables before IVF, but I don't know how feasible that's going to be considering the monthly COBRA premium and the amount of cycles required to go through IVF.

I O'd late again this cycle, which is why I'm only 6 dpo on CD 32, which should make this cycle wrap itself up next weekend if I don't have a stupid short LP. That being the case, I'll be calling the new RE to get their earliest appointment in the hopes we can use my upcoming cycle for testing. It will be made clear that we are doing all of this on COBRA, so time is of the essence!

So that's where we are... I'm anxious to get things going again, actually. I'm certainly not looking forward to the needles that are invariably in my future, but I'm ready.

I'm ready to do this.
hoping and waiting likes this.

June 10th, 2012, 03:36 PM
Cait&AngelAbove's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Nikki I am so sorry that you have had to go through all of this! I am glad that y'all are taking the next step and going to see the RE. I hope you can get in to see him/her soon!

Thank you so much Bokkechick for the perfect siggie!!!
12-10-10 2-6-12
June 10th, 2012, 06:27 PM
IndyMommyWannabe's Avatar Always Hoping & Praying
Oh Nikki. first off that all sucks. plain and simple. I am sorry you have had to go through all of that.

you know we are here for you for any emotional support you need. Good luck with the new RE and I TRULY hope everything works out for you!!!!

IVF=ONLY option

October 2012 = Fresh IVF #1 - retrieved 8, 6 fertilized. Transfer 2. Fail.March 2013 = Frozen #1 - Transfer 2 of 4 left. Fail.
February 2014 = Frozen #2 - Transfer remaining 2 - IMPLANTATION!
8 weeks, D&C - blighted ovum - Triploidy

July 2014 = Fresh IVF #2!

"Sometimes the bad things that happen in our lives put us directly on the path to the best things that will ever happen to us!"

Come visit my blog/journal to learn more about our journey - Our Adventure through Infertility
June 11th, 2012, 08:37 AM
blueeyes25s's Avatar Expecting #1
Again I am so sorry about everything you went through and are going through. I am very happy to see your back and well I guess 'ready' to take that next step. Good luck and hope everything works out!!

Forever missing my angel 2010

June 11th, 2012, 11:49 AM
Mrs.Paradise's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I continue to keep you and your husband in my T&P's!!! I hope that you will get your much deserved BFP soon!!! and I hope Dan can find a better job soon!!!
June 11th, 2012, 06:07 PM
JennyLee's Avatar TTC #1 after loss
Glad to hear you're ready to jump back in! I hope the RE is willing/able to work with you guys to get stuff done quickly.
TTC #1 since 1/11, Unexplained Infertility
M/C 2/12
Polyp Removal 11/12
4 failed IUIs

IVF #1
Started stims 9/27
ER 10/8 - 24 eggs, 15 fertilized!
Blast transfer 10/13, 4 snowbabies
Very faint 10/18 (5dp5dt)
Beta #1 10/23 - 339!!!
Beta #2 10/25 - 856!!!
U/S 11/14 - Heart rate 144!

My Belly Pics
June 11th, 2012, 07:09 PM
fromustobaby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
so glad to see the full update...that is definitely pretty craptastic but it is good that you will be able to help your parents out so much with everything, I'm sure they are very grateful that you are there as well...

Hope you can schedule an appointment asap...I know for me, I scheduled an appointment for CD4 and was able to do an injectable cycle the very next cycle and they told me that if I'd scheduled it just a week earlier (before my period) I could have done that injectable cycle immediately...so maybe you could do an injectable immediately and also do the IVF testing so that if the injectables dont work, you can go right into the IVF cycle - I will say, one nice thing about injectables is that those follies grow super super fast and the cycle is over quickly

All the baby dust in the world to you...I can not wait to celebrate when you get that BFP, all of JM cant wait till you get that BFP - SOON!!!
Coley and kbpeanut like this.
June 13th, 2012, 09:36 AM
Nicholle ttc's Avatar TTC our first!
I'm so sorry Nikki. I've been worried about you for awhile. Thank you for updating us!

Natural cycles-August 2011-July 2012
August 2012-October 2012 clomid and progesterone
November 2012-IUI
December 2012, cysts from IUI, on bcp

January 2013-February 2013, long protocol IVF
15 eggs retrieved, 11 mature, 7 fertilized with ICSI
All 7 made it to 5 day transfer, 2 were transferred
Only 1 frozen snowbaby
1st IVF

May 10, 2013, lap sx, Stage 1 endo

June 2013 - MA Round 2
Femara + hcg shot
IUI # 2

FET tentatively scheduled for 10/31/13

Have never seen a bfp.

June 13th, 2012, 09:49 AM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
I don't know why I never commented on this? I thought I did?? I must have responded elsewhere.

Anyhow, I emailed you everything I had to say last night anyway, so don't want to be a repeater. But you know how happy I am for you

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
June 15th, 2012, 10:06 AM
Thanks for all the well wishes!!

My appointment with the new RE is on Monday morning at 10:30! It's a touch bittersweet though because DH won't be able to attend. He'll be starting his NEW JOB!!! We've been so blessed, he was able to find a new job before his severance package even ran out!

Since he'll be at work, my parents are actually going to go to my appointment with me. It's actually kinda cool... They had to go to a fertility clinic when they were trying for me, so it's kinda cool that they can be there as I go through this process myself.

I've also decided to ask my mom to do my injections for me. She was a nurse for a while when she was younger, so this will be familar for her and also a neat part of this to share with her. I made sure DH wasn't looking forward to being the one to do them and he seemed glad to have someone else do them

AF came today, so I'll be on CD 4 for my appointment. All of my medical records have been faxed to the new RE and the hard copies arrived here at home yesterday. I've got them all in a binder in sheet protectors along with print outs of all of my charts.

I can't lie... I'm pretty freakin' excited! Ok, off to get my TTC books from the storage unit! I always skipped the IVF portions of my books, but I'm dying to now that we're doing this!!

June 15th, 2012, 10:09 AM
FWIW, I think you should make yourself do your own injections at least once. Not because it's fun (it's not), and not because it's the cool thing to do (it's not), but just to prove to yourself that you CAN do them. I had to do my own for 4 days when DH was out by you, and while I was dreading it, there was no way around it. Once we practiced while he was there, it was sort of liberating to know that me, the person with a near-phobia of needles, was able to stick one (8?) into my belly.

Sort of neat. But just sort of.
Coley likes this.

June 15th, 2012, 11:09 AM
Mega Super Mommy
thats great news Nikki, i cant believe you arranged your appt for so soon! i hope it all goes great at the appt and i think its fab that your parents are going with you!

also..yay for Danny getting a new job so soon, im really happy for you both!

Thank you Vicki for my amazing siggie!

June 16th, 2012, 08:11 PM
Karin - I ain't makin' no promises! We'll have to agree to cross that bridge when we come to it.

Jen - Thanks! Things really have all been falling into place quite well. I was beyond thrilled to be able to get in so quickly! I was really afraid I was going to have to wait and that would've just made things that much more expensive.

I'm really excited and anxious! The sooner we can start things... the better, in my mind. The more I'm reading about IVF and the more I'm looking through the hard copies of our medical records, the more I understand why our RE immediately recommended IVF and said we were perfect candidates.

I just hope that's still the case now that I've aged another... year and a bit.

June 16th, 2012, 08:19 PM
Tammyms's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What was in there that they recommended IVF right away Nikki?

I did all my injections myself and didn't find them that bad, the trick is to do it quickly and not just hold the needle at your skin... that feeling hurts!

So glad you're able to move forward and I hope it works with great results for you guys!
June 18th, 2012, 05:03 AM
Well, when you look at the fact that both of our PCT (Post Coital Tests) were really poor because of my hostile mucus, DH's motility was "meh" and the count wasn't superb... I think our problems were: the sperm couldn't live or swim very long in my mucus before dying, if they did happen to live long enough to reach the egg, there's no guarantee their motility was sufficient to actually crack the shell and get inside.

So, it really seems like IVF would take care of all of our issues: the mucus issue is avoided, ICSI will do all of the work of getting the sperm inside the actual egg, so motility & count aren't determining factors on success, ya know?

So... yeah... I think that's why I'm feeling so optimistic right now!! Hopefully it's well deserved!

June 18th, 2012, 09:35 AM
Thinking of you today!

x

June 18th, 2012, 04:47 PM
fromustobaby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
thinking of you and hoping for update soon (NOT a good time for the boards to be screwy!)
June 18th, 2012, 04:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromustobaby View Post
thinking of you and hoping for update soon (NOT a good time for the boards to be screwy!)
I told her that I wasn't patient enough to wait for the boards to be fixed so I could read it in her journal...told her to post an update in a new thread Figured I wasn't the only one who was (im)patiently waiting!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search