Tips for TTC Baby #1

Forum: Trying to Conceive Your First Child

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By Jen@FirsAve
  • 1 Post By LadyGamer
  • 1 Post By HopefullyaLawMommy

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive Your First Child LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 19th, 2012, 10:01 AM
HopefullyaLawMommy's Avatar Veteran
Hi Everyone.

My name is Ashley, and I am 28. My DH and I have been married for 6 months, and we have decided TTC.

Since I am new to this I had a few questions that maybe you guys could help with. I was over at the "Am I Pregnant" board because I was having pregnancy symptoms but the test came back with a BFN, so now here we are officially TTC baby #1.

I have been doing research and know I should start tracking my cycles, etc. I was on BCP for 18 months, so not sure about how long my cycles would be without them, etc. Where should I start with finding how when I O and how long my cycles are?

I am excited to start trying but nervous at the same time because I want to make sure I do everything right.

Thanks!

Ashley
June 19th, 2012, 10:30 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi Ashley,

I'm Jen (25) and me and my SO have been TTC for almost a year.

Where to start...well first off i'd recommend charting, alot of us here use a website called fertility friend (ff) to help do this but there are others out there. You will need to get a BBT (a thermometer which shows two decimal places) and take your temp every morning as soon as you wake up. One reason I like FF is that when you sign up theres a tutorial they send out to you which teaches about charting and what changes in your temps will mean etc.

OPK's are also useful (ovulation predictor kits) as they will show your LH surge. you can get fairly cheap ones off the internet (try amazon)

Finally I would recommend a book called 'taking charge of your fertility'. I got it when i first started and its been a great reference for me and still is.

I cant think of anything else to add right now but im sure if ive missed anything someone else will fill in the gaps!

I do hope your stay here is short and sweet and please shout up if you have any more questions, theres a great and really supportive and knowledgeable bunch of ladies here!

Nice to meet you and KUP!

Thank you Vicki for my amazing siggie!

June 19th, 2012, 10:46 AM
Sapphera's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi Ashley!!

I'm Michelle (33) and DH is David (also 33) and we've been TTC for about a year and a half, so hi!!

I have nothing really to add, but definitely recommend the charting as well. And there is more to charting than just temps if you want to get more into that as well (such as cervical mucus). The big thing to remember is that charting temperatures will only confirm that you have O'd..it won't tell you when you're going to. Which is why they have the options of CM and position.

Also, keep in mind it can take several cycles for your body to regulate itself after having been on BCPs ..

And I want to also say.. feel free to ask any questions you might have This is a wonderful group of ladies and there is a huge amount of knowledge here.
WTTC #2
June 19th, 2012, 12:08 PM
jessicake's Avatar Veteran
Hi and welcome! I'm Jessica and we just started TTC this cycle I'm 28 and we've been married a little over 3 years.

I definitely agree with the others' advice. Charting is such a great tool, and it's really interesting to see how our bodies work. I use the "Taking Charge of Your Fertility Book" too, I read it last year when I charting to prevent pregnancy and now I still reference it a lot. It's a great resource! I chart manually and use the Fertility Friend online chart as well.

June 19th, 2012, 01:38 PM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
Hi and I'm Karin, one of the cohosts of this board. Big to what the other ladies have already said. I don't have too much to add, actually. I was on BCP for many, many moons, and it took me about 4-5 cycles to regulate once I stopped. Once I did, my cycles went back to really regular. However, I would have never known that without charting, like the other ladies mentioned. That would be my strongest recommendation.

Good luck, and hope your stay is short and sweet!
x

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
June 19th, 2012, 10:44 PM
LadyGamer's Avatar Objection!!!
Hi. I'm Christen. I'm on cycle 4 of TTC. DH and I have been married since 2007 and are very excited to add to our family. I'm taking the more... lazy route. I don't chart or temp or anything. I figure I'll try up with this for a while, see how it works. I think the more effort I put in, the more upset I'll be if it doesn't happen, so I'm trying to be laid back.

My advice is to have lots of sex.
Jen@FirsAve likes this.

Thank you, Jaidynsmum, for the amazing siggy

June 20th, 2012, 06:14 AM
HopefullyaLawMommy's Avatar Veteran
Thanks ladies for all of the advice. It is so nice to know you have a community to go to for advise and to vent if needed. Thanks for making me feel welcomed and I will definitely keep you updated!

Wishing everyone luck on their BFP!
Jen@FirsAve likes this.
June 20th, 2012, 06:36 AM
blueeyes25s's Avatar Expecting #1
and I'm Dawn (29), one of the other co-hosts on this board and DH (33). We just had our 5 year wedding anniversary and have been ttc for just over 2 years. Again, to what everyone has already said. I agree that charting is highly recommended; it's how I learned I had a short LP (luteral phase) and I now understand why my cycles varies between 25 - 28 days.

Please don't hesitate to ask questions. Good luck and I hope your stay is short is sweet!

Forever missing my angel 2010

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search