Ovulation Test Reading Positive for 6 Days?

Forum: Trying to Conceive Your First Child

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By denalibear
  • 1 Post By Missa_Mae

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive Your First Child LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 30th, 2012, 01:24 PM
Hello! I am new to this board and, admittedly, I don't know as much as I'd like to about the way cycles work (or all of the abbreviations you guys seem to be so fluent in! Bear with me, please?!). So I may be throwing way too much information out here, but I'm confused and need help!

I have always had an irregular cycle (sometimes as much as 6 months between periods!) since I hit puberty. Apparently this is normal in my family. Over the past three months, I've been consistently having a 31-33 day cycle. It's been over the past three months that I've been tracking ovulation using the Answer test strips - the kind you dip in a cup. There's been nothing abnormal about the tests so far.
I've had two miscarriages before, one in 2009 that resulted in a blighted ovum and a chemical pregnancy in May of this year. This tells me that I'm not completely infertile, even though I know with my screwed up body I'm not normal.

The first day of my last period was October 5th and it lasted through the 14th (about 4 or 5 days longer than it usually lasts).

I began testing ovulation on the 15th. It went as follows
October 15 - negative (clearly)
October 16 - negative (clearly)
October 17 - negative (clearly)
October 18 - negative (clearly)
October 19 - negative (clearly)
October 20 - negative (clearly)
October 21 - negative (clearly)
October 22 - negative (clearly)
October 23 - negative (clearly)
October 24 - negative (clearly)
October 25 - positive (test line slightly darker than control line)
October 26 - positive (clear, test line much darker than control)
October 27 - positive (clear, test line much darker than control)
October 28 - positive (clear, test line much darker than control)
October 29 - positive (clear, test line much darker than control)
October 30 - positive (clear, test line much darker than control)

I've been testing FMU and mid-afternoon and the results are consistent. I've never had a positive for more than two days, so I'm not sure what is going on. I've read that ovulation tests can also predict pregnancy (fingers crossed, that would be wonderful!) but I'm not sure when is a good time to take a HPT. I don't want to take one too early! Also, because there have been consistent negatives before the positives, I'm hesitant to blame the tests. I haven't had any recent illness or additional stress that would cause a new LH surge.... I'm just really confused!
Has anyone else had this happen? How did it turn out? Why would my body be reading this way? I know I should call a doctor, but seeing as I just moved, I haven't found one that I feel comfortable sharing my baby-crazy questions with. Please help!
October 30th, 2012, 03:31 PM
Nicholle ttc's Avatar TTC our first!
I wish I had a clear anwser for you Megan. I'm guessing, if the OPKs are not defective, that your body is trying to O, but it just hasn't yet. I've never had anything like this, nor know anyone who has had a positive OPK for more than 3 days. Hopefully, you'll O soon if you haven't already. GL and KUP!

Natural cycles-August 2011-July 2012
August 2012-October 2012 clomid and progesterone
November 2012-IUI
December 2012, cysts from IUI, on bcp

January 2013-February 2013, long protocol IVF
15 eggs retrieved, 11 mature, 7 fertilized with ICSI
All 7 made it to 5 day transfer, 2 were transferred
Only 1 frozen snowbaby
1st IVF

May 10, 2013, lap sx, Stage 1 endo

June 2013 - MA Round 2
Femara + hcg shot
IUI # 2

FET tentatively scheduled for 10/31/13

Have never seen a bfp.

October 30th, 2012, 03:38 PM
Thanks, Nicholle! I'm trying so hard not to get frustrated because I have no idea what is going on inside me!! Ah, well, I guess time will tell
October 30th, 2012, 03:43 PM
Wizza's Avatar TTC our first since 2009
I've seen a lot of ladies complain about the Answer brand strips being too sensitive. It might just be that they are showing a positive at a hormone level that is lower than what your body is going to produce for a true positive. Could you maybe get some cheap ones at the dollar store or just another brand to compare them to? Also they can definitely show positive when you are pregnant but it wouldn't be until after a regular HPT is showing a positive.

October 30th, 2012, 09:09 PM
Thanks for your input! I tested just over an hour ago and it was negative, so I'm stumped! Lol we will see what happens next, fingers crossed!
October 30th, 2012, 09:31 PM
denalibear's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have had cycles where I had 4 days of positive OPKs. I do know you can sometimes catch your LH surge on the way up and also catch it on the way down...which will give you a + on your OPKs.

I hope yall caught the eggie!!!

MeganB88 likes this.

October 31st, 2012, 05:56 AM
Missa_Mae's Avatar First Time Mommy!
Hi!

I'm not as active on this board as I used to be but the first (and only) cycle we TTC I used OPK strips from earlypregnancytests.com ... and I had + for 4 days! Since it was my first time using them I was massively confused and we DTD everyday ...

Needless to say, I did catch my eggie on that cycle so I'm not sure if the + OPK for 4 days predicted my pregnancy or not ... but it's possible!

Good Luck & I hope you caught it!
MeganB88 likes this.
October 31st, 2012, 09:57 AM
Thanks, again, guys! <3 It's positive again this morning. I should probably step away from the sticks and just wait and see, but it's so **** baffling! I knew I should have paid more attention in health class! lol!
October 31st, 2012, 11:58 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi, I'm Jen - apologies for me being late joining the thread! I dont really had anything to add but I agree that trying a different brand of OPK might be worth a try? but i'd probably keeping using them either way until you test -ve

and KUP

Thank you Vicki for my amazing siggie!

November 5th, 2012, 12:10 PM
Hey, all! Thank you for your love! I decided to get rid of the pack I had, thinking it may be defective. I went with the Clearblue digital opks, and still, positive during the day, but if I take it at night, negative. I took an HPT a few days ago (early, I know, but I'm insane). It was negative! But the wicked red witch is due today, so we will see what happens! I want to say I'm at the point where I'm just not going to pee on any more sticks, but I don't want to give up yet. I'm just so frustrated!
November 6th, 2012, 07:28 AM
Nicholle ttc's Avatar TTC our first!
TTCing can be very frustrating. Some OPKs don't work for me, or I miss my LH surge. I typically recognize my body's signs for ovulation, increased CM, high CP and horniess! GL sweetie. If you don't catch the egg this cycle, hopefully you will during the next cycle!

Natural cycles-August 2011-July 2012
August 2012-October 2012 clomid and progesterone
November 2012-IUI
December 2012, cysts from IUI, on bcp

January 2013-February 2013, long protocol IVF
15 eggs retrieved, 11 mature, 7 fertilized with ICSI
All 7 made it to 5 day transfer, 2 were transferred
Only 1 frozen snowbaby
1st IVF

May 10, 2013, lap sx, Stage 1 endo

June 2013 - MA Round 2
Femara + hcg shot