EWCM vs Semen? Sorry if this is a weird question!

Forum: Trying to Conceive Your First Child

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive Your First Child LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 3rd, 2013, 08:27 PM
Julie321's Avatar Super Mommy
Hi guys!

Sorry if this is gross, but really wondering and hoping someone knows what's going on!

I usually ovulate really late in my cycle, around day 30-35 as my cycles can be up to 50 days. I am only on CD 15 today, but I took Soy Isoflavones this cycle hoping to speed up ovulation. So I've been on the lookout for the last few days for the telltale EWCM in case it happens early.

I just went to the washroom about an hour ago, and when I wiped, I am reasonably sure it was EWCM! Only thing is, I have no other symptoms. Usually when I O, I am bloated, cranky, I my face breaks out and my nipples are extremely sensitive. Don't have any of those symptoms now. Just the EWCM.

Hubby and I did the BD last night, wondering if there is a chance that it's just last night's semen? Google says semen doesn't stretch between your fingers though, and this did. Is it possible this is the start of my fertile window? Anyone else experience this the night after sex when you know you aren't fertile yet?

HELP!
May 3rd, 2013, 09:01 PM
epsilonbeta's Avatar Super Mommy
How much will it stretch? Even creamy can stretch some. I would check tomorrow morning as well when you have been a little further from BD to determine if it's for sure EWCM or not. Definitely possible if you are trying something new in your process, but semen could be lurking too.

Excitedly Expecting #1 w/ PCOS around June 16, 2014
Adopted mom to DS (16)
May 3rd, 2013, 10:41 PM
It stretches just like typical EWCM. about an inch maybe a little more.

I just checked again and it's still there, but VERY SLIGHTLY pink-tinged? No pink on the toilet paper, just the colour of the CM is kinda pinkish. My period ended almost two weeks ago. AHH so confusing!

It'd be a great thing if I woke up in the morning full of O symptoms!
May 4th, 2013, 08:31 AM
Nicholle ttc's Avatar TTC our first!
I typically don't check my CM right after BDing for this reason. The seminal fluid can remain for a couple hours after BDing. I usually don't check for CM until the afternoon after we BD'd (we typically BD at night). Is your cervix high? Are you horny? Those are the two tell-tale signs, along with watery or EWCM that indicates I'm about to O. GL and KUP!

Natural cycles-August 2011-July 2012
August 2012-October 2012 clomid and progesterone
November 2012-IUI
December 2012, cysts from IUI, on bcp

January 2013-February 2013, long protocol IVF
15 eggs retrieved, 11 mature, 7 fertilized with ICSI
All 7 made it to 5 day transfer, 2 were transferred
Only 1 frozen snowbaby
1st IVF

May 10, 2013, lap sx, Stage 1 endo

June 2013 - MA Round 2
Femara + hcg shot
IUI # 2

FET tentatively scheduled for 10/31/13

Have never seen a bfp.

May 4th, 2013, 10:16 AM
girlsofsummer's Avatar Expecting baby #1
CM could be tinged pink because of sex. Sometimes after DTD i get just a tiny bit of red mixed into my discharge.

I hope you get some clarity soon though, and I really hope its ewcm!
May 4th, 2013, 01:44 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm sure someone somewhere did this on purpose but semen and EWCM is so similar its frustrating! I'm CD11 right now and had the same problem today, not sure if i'm having CM/ EWCM or just semen I have done OPK and checked my cervix, its high firm and open so not quite there yet and my OPK was negative

I hope you figure it out and catch that eggie!

Thank you Vicki for my amazing siggie!

May 4th, 2013, 03:33 PM
So this morning it seemed to be as good as gone. It must have been semen. UGH. Getting my hopes up because of these Soy Iso's, even though I promised myself to expect nothing!

How does semen kick around to trickle out more than 24 hours later? I know it can live up there for up to five days, as it did two months ago when I had my chemical, but still!

I should start temping and checking cervical position, but I can't find a decently-priced thermometer, and it creeps me out to check cervical position because I have long-ish fingernails and I'm afraid of nicking myself. I guess it's the only accurate way to know when my ovulation may be off.
May 4th, 2013, 04:25 PM
plan4fate's Avatar I may bend, but not break
Send a message via MSN to plan4fate
The rule, if my memory serves me correct, is the day after BDing is considered "semen obscured" and should not be measured.. of course my TCOYF book is packed in my step son's closet and I'm so not in any condition to dig it out.

that said... for me personally, the difference between ewcm and semen are very stark, and I can easily tell which is which. But not all can. We usually try and make sure there's 20 hours between dtd while I'm oing so I can be sure.

I've never done cervical position, and I've been charting (started with bbt, then just went o cm/opk) since September 2011. I mean.. I check it once in a while but I don't chart it.

My BBT is from Walmart, but you might find a better price on amazon.ca. BUT I do know I've seen them at Shoppers for about $10 (and I paid that for mine down here in the US, so that's not a bad price) (I'm from NS).

(I just noticed another question you asked.. this is a slightly TMI answer)

It's not actually the semen you're seeing after about 6ish hours. It's what your body does to the seminal fluid. It's like a chemical reaction, and it chases the consistency. For some women (like me) it makes it thick, sticky and stretchy... more the consistency of boogers than CM. For others, it's just a thicker creamy like cm.
~TTC #1 together 2 years and counting ~

Awesome siggy made by Jaidynsmum
Matthew and Mark 08/24/2005 9w1d, Mattie Anne 04/07/2008 8w Mel and Dee 01/19/2010 (8 weeks) and 5 chemical pregnancies
Hope 07/22/2012@4w1d,Konnor 11/24/2012@3w6d,"Emmy"1/15/2013@ 3w6d,Ronen 02/10/2013@3w5d,Joy 07/19/2013@3w6d, "Pea" 09/06/2013@ 3w3d

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, PCOS, Insulin resistant.
150mcg Synthyroid, 500mg Metformin (aiming for 1500mg)
May 4th, 2013, 05:31 PM
butterfly721's Avatar TTC #1
I've had this question before about semen and EWCM, but I'm still not sure which one it was. *lol*
May 6th, 2013, 06:12 AM
momology's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
EWCM and semen are confusing it is like a joke. . . just like how early AF symptoms and pregnancy symptoms are the same. Seriously??

About the BBT - I got mine at a CVS for about $8 (not sure if you have CVS). I got one off Amazon first and I did not like it at all - it said it was a BBT but did not measure to the 0.00 degree. This one has worked well so far and remembers the last temp so you can go back to sleep and record it later. It does take a couple minutes which is annoying sometimes but it is really nice for the price.

Thank you *Kiliki* for the amazing siggy!!

Expecting our first baby August 25th, 2014!!!

May 6th, 2013, 07:03 AM
girlsofsummer's Avatar Expecting baby #1
Quote:
Originally Posted by momology View Post
EWCM and semen are confusing it is like a joke. . . just like how early AF symptoms and pregnancy symptoms are the same. Seriously??

About the BBT - I got mine at a CVS for about $8 (not sure if you have CVS). I got one off Amazon first and I did not like it at all - it said it was a BBT but did not measure to the 0.00 degree. This one has worked well so far and remembers the last temp so you can go back to sleep and record it later. It does take a couple minutes which is annoying sometimes but it is really nice for the price.
Ahh good to know about the CVS brand, thanks, Elle. I had a Walgreens one that was terrible, so I was wary about other cheaper drug store thermometers.

FWIW, after DTD, semen seems to come out of me fairly quickly (this was prior to TTC, when I'd get up pretty quickly after, I'm not much of the "lay around and cuddle" type!). Like I'd go to the bathroom and most of it seemed to be on the TP/in underwear, and then a few hours later when I went again there wasn't much left.
May 6th, 2013, 11:43 AM
plan4fate's Avatar I may bend, but not break
Send a message via MSN to plan4fate
They say anything that is of any use is out of the vagina quite quickly. My OB told me 5 minutes on my back/side and then I can get up. Which is good, because I'm also a run to the bathroom pretty quick person.
~TTC #1 together 2 years and counting ~

Awesome siggy made by Jaidynsmum
Matthew and Mark 08/24/2005 9w1d, Mattie Anne 04/07/2008 8w Mel and Dee 01/19/2010 (8 weeks) and 5 chemical pregnancies
Hope 07/22/2012@4w1d,Konnor 11/24/2012@3w6d,"Emmy"1/15/2013@ 3w6d,Ronen 02/10/2013@3w5d,Joy 07/19/2013@3w6d, "Pea" 09/06/2013@ 3w3d

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, PCOS, Insulin resistant.
150mcg Synthyroid, 500mg Metformin (aiming for 1500mg)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search