KIDS THESE DAYS!!!! O\T rant!

Forum: Trying to Conceive Your First Child

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive Your First Child LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 15th, 2013, 03:09 PM
Julie321's Avatar Super Mommy
AHHHHH!!!!

Does anyone here have a management job where you deal with high school students?

I remember when I was 16 and working, if I wanted a day off, I would ask for it before the schedule was made!!!

I work at the arena where the Ottawa Senators play, so of course, playoffs are crazy busy and we need like 30 staff on hand for each game. I make the schedule, notify everyone, then the text messages start coming in.

"I'm sorry, I'm not available Sunday."

Seriously, like 6 of them.

Last week I even got a "Sorry, I'm going to Comicon (sp??). I can't come. By the way, can you schedule me in for the Motley Crue concert on Tue? I love them" Seriously? I can tell you, I did not schedule that kid for the concert!

It is SO frustrating, and it would be horrible to have to hire people so close to the end of the season for just a few more busy shifts followed by a quiet summer, but it looks like I'll have no choice.

What happened to the good old days when if you KNEW there was work coming up (ie. The Senators making the next round of playoffs and knowing games would be announced in the next few days) you let your manager know you would be out of town, or had a wedding to go to, or whatever?

I just wanna strangle these kids. Especially the ones that do this to me every single freaking week!
May 15th, 2013, 03:44 PM
plan4fate's Avatar I may bend, but not break
Send a message via MSN to plan4fate
*hugs*

I know a lot of people like this... and not all of them teenagers. I'd tell them since they didn't give notice for time off, show up, or be fired. Trying getting unemployment for being fired for not showing up... wont happen

May 15th, 2013, 03:46 PM
zonee@gmail.com's Avatar Veteran
WOW!! That sucks and i am sorry. Guess no one taught them responsibility and respect;let alonr a good work ethic. I am sorry you have to deal with all of that.
: (
May 15th, 2013, 03:50 PM
Ariw's Avatar Veteran
Man! I can't imagine doing that to my boss! I have a weird fear of authority figures... Unfortunately I have to tomorrow since the only ticket I could get for my sisters graduation is on a day I was scheduled...
But it will be the first time ever to call in...
Hope you find some better employees!
May 15th, 2013, 04:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Wowsers. It really is unreal, though.

I had a job for years at a strawberry farm. Sounds idyllic, doesn't it? Hah! Teaching these 12-16 year olds the difference between rotten and unripe fruit vs something you would actually eat was ridiculous! I'm like, if it doesn't look like a food item, don't put it in your basket!

Many, many teenagers couldn't figure that one out.

Sorry you're dealing with this. What are they hired to do at the arena?
May 15th, 2013, 05:20 PM
butterfly721's Avatar Mommy-to-be to a baby boy
In every job, I've ever had, there were employees like this. Sadly, not all of them were teenagers. It was the worst when I worked in food service. People always wanted weekends and holidays off, and of course those were our busiest times. I got stuck working a lot.
May 15th, 2013, 05:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariw View Post
Man! I can't imagine doing that to my boss! I have a weird fear of authority figures... Unfortunately I have to tomorrow since the only ticket I could get for my sisters graduation is on a day I was scheduled...
But it will be the first time ever to call in...
Hope you find some better employees!
See, to me, that sounds like a great reason as to why you can't make it into work. Managers can get a pretty good read on people, and if they never call in, and never have excuses, it's easy to let one instance slide when it's for something important like a graduation.

Most of these people just tell me they have "family obligations" to which I call bull sh**!

One kid today tells me his family will be at their cottage all weekend and he can't come. And I'm thinking he has school on Monday. I say OK, how about coming in a bit later? Obviously you will be back on Sunday night at sometime? Playoff games are not optional. You need to find a way to get there, and I am OK with you being late.

He tells me his PARENTS are flipping out about having to leave the cottage early to accommodate him. How about teaching your children the importance of work? We hire people to work, and if they won't work on the days we schedule them, what good are they to us? If he was my kid, I would make him skip the cottage for the weekend and stay home so he could work on Sunday because obviously he should have told me of his plans to leave town before I notified him of his scheduled shift!

Someone asked me what the high school students do at the arena, but I don't know how to quote more than one poster.

They are all working on making pizza for the concessions. Some cook, others run the pizza in a cart from the kitchen to the concessions.
May 15th, 2013, 05:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaBonana View Post
Wowsers. It really is unreal, though.

I had a job for years at a strawberry farm. Sounds idyllic, doesn't it? Hah! Teaching these 12-16 year olds the difference between rotten and unripe fruit vs something you would actually eat was ridiculous! I'm like, if it doesn't look like a food item, don't put it in your basket!

Many, many teenagers couldn't figure that one out.

Sorry you're dealing with this. What are they hired to do at the arena?
It's funny what some young people think is acceptable. Either they are stupid, or just playing stupid as a way to be lazy and have their baskets filled faster?

We have a bunch of those too. They think that dishes are washed even if there is food still on them because they wiped it with a cloth.

They think the floor is mopped just because they wiped it all over the floor. Even if there is still dirt caked on!

I am only 10 years older than these people that work for us. I can't believe how much of a difference has been made in those 10 years. I was taught to do things properly, NOT the lazy way. I was taught to go to work when I was scheduled, and to respect my manager.

Half of these people show up to their job interviews in jeans and a t-shirt but what are you going to do? I schedule 12 interviews in a day and only 4 show up. Leaves me no choice but to hire these brats. Either that, or hire older people that #1 don't want to respect me as their boss because I'm only 27 and #2 will leave you as soon as they find a better job opportunity.

SO frustrated today!

Sorry for the ranting guys. Just had to let it all out before my husband came home. I'd hate to have to take it out on him
May 15th, 2013, 06:48 PM
epsilonbeta's Avatar Super Mommy
I work with ~160 teenagers every day in a "management" position aka their teacher. YOU didn't teach me. YOU didn't remind me. YOU didn't tell me to turn it in. YOU are failing me. YOU made me tardy. YOU got me in trouble with my mom. etc etc. There is no owning up to their faults for many of them. Good news is they don't seem to think math matters at all and tell me that 1/5 is the same as 5 so you can try to cut their wages and tell them the math is all the same
May 15th, 2013, 11:17 PM
Super Mommy
Ugh... kids... I'm one of the youngest people where I work, I'm 31 and I'm the baby.... ok, I was the baby until they hired this 20 year old who is a total flake and I wish they would fire her.

Still, there are grown adults that pull the same sort of crap. No sense of commitment, and I don't really have any advice I can give you.... if it were me I would start laying down the law and terminating people after 2 call offs in a 30 day period. If your availability "changes" after the schedule is made, that counts as a call off. Hah, but don't listen to me, cuz how can you run a shift if you've fired everyone? At my very first fast food job in high school, we had to put in our day off requests 2 weeks in advance.

I recently got my own "underlings" at work, and I am completely dumbfounded at being in a position where I have to train or supervise people...
May 16th, 2013, 04:49 AM
momology's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That is so frustrating!!!!!! Luckily I only have to deal with one intern at a time. But even that is awful. . . She often doesn't show up at all or is just missing when i need her help with something. I can't imagine dealing with a bunch if them.

Cautiously expecting Seamonkey #2 Due Oct 4th

Missing our angels:
Molar pregnancy loss (12 weeks) - 1/2013
Missed Miscarriage (10 weeks) - 6/2013
Early Miscarriage (5 weeks) - 12/2016

May 16th, 2013, 09:43 AM
Unfortunately I have to watch what I say to these kids. They don't need the income, they live at home with their parents. They can and will quit their job without another one lined up if it means they can go to a party or whatever else they have planned on the day they don't want to come to work.

I am at their mercy until the end of the hockey season.

And my lesson for next year- keep a larger staff, even if it means their shifts will suffer.
May 16th, 2013, 09:58 AM
ArmyWife28's Avatar Praying for a Miracle
That's super frustrating, kids these days drive me crazy because I never was like that. I knew to ask weeks in advance.
FurMommy to Bowie, Abby, Macy, & Leroy

4 Rounds of Clomid & 2 Rounds of Femara with NO Luck
6/5/13 1st cycle of Follistim 600AQ CD3- CD11
6/14/13 Ovidrel Trigger Shot CD12
7/1/13 27mm Cyst on R Ovary, Cancelled cycle
May 16th, 2013, 11:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy

May 16th, 2013, 12:16 PM
Super Mommy to be
They have no sense of responsibility........and it's most likely because they have been made to accept responisibility at home........or been made to have to face consequences when not doing what they are supposed to be doing....

They'll learn the hard way eventually................sorry you're so frustrated
Hebrews 11:1
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.
Romans 8:28
And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.
'Blessings' by Laura Story (What if trials of this life, are your mercies in disguise)
Glorious Ruins

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search