Ot.....trying to start running

Forum: Trying to Conceive Your First Child

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BamaLove

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive Your First Child LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 10th, 2013, 05:42 AM
Ariw's Avatar Veteran
So I would LOVE to be one of those people who love running...
But I'm SOOO not I hate running! I don't like exercising in general but I can tolerate other things (I actually like the row machine and bodycombat classes) but overall..no thanks
Which is why I am overweight. My diet isnt horrible...could be better but not that bad

Anyways long story short I am trying (really hard) to get into and learn to enjoy running...not only for weight loss benefits but Just for stamina and endurance which is pitiful right now.

Any suggestions? I tried c25k and eh I can do it but it definitely pushes me and I've read alot that when you first start out you shouldnt feel too exhausted after your walk/run

I'm looking into the Jeff Galloway method...anyone try this? or have any other advice??

Gonna try to workout outside today..have always used my treadmill but I hate the treadmill, I always feel like it makes it harder
September 10th, 2013, 06:27 AM
momology's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Getting into any work out routine can be really hard. What always works best for me is setting aside a certain time every day or 3 times a week or however often you want to work out and trying to stick to that plan. I usually start by making sure I have good running shoes (bad ones/ old ones can cause all sorts of problems), some comfortable running clothes, music with running headphones, and a stop watch. Then I start by going to the course I intend to run and walking it the first week however far I hope to run. I think a huge key is to start slowly. Going into it too fast will leave you very soar and not wanting to return. Then I try and make a game out of it basically trying to run faster or farther every time but not by too much. Listening to my favorite play lists really helps and just trying to improve every time. Last year I started at 2 x 12 minute miles and ended up at 3 x 9 minute miles. Just having the goals made it so much easier for me. That is how I get into running and I usually dont fall out of it until something major happens once I get in the routine. Maybe we can help each other stick to it I started the walking last week and did my first 2 mile jog Sunday.

You can do it Ari!!!!!

Thank you *Kiliki* for the amazing siggy!!

Expecting our first baby August 25th, 2014!!!

September 10th, 2013, 06:58 AM
Super Mommy to be
I started out with the c25k a few years back.... def get good shoes. Last thing you want is a injury..you'll really hate it then! lol Here's a site I order my shoes from. You will go thru a survey about your feet and depending on your answers they will give you a selection of shoes that are good for you.
Road Runner Sports: The Best Top-Brand Running Shoes & Running Gear
I'm just back into running the last couple months after more than a years break.. My asthma in the winter is what forced me to really stop and then laziness set in after that I'm really trying to make myself do 4-5 days a week. I don't do mornings! I am NOT a morning person and I feel horrible when I run in the mornings so....... I've been known to run as late as midnight (yea most people say I'm crazy), but not really this go round. It's anywhere from mid-day to early evening ....

I'll have to google this other method you're talking about.......

Oh, I have a Nike Sports band that goes with a sensor you tie on your shoe and it tracks, mileage, pace, calories etc...not heart rate though.

Good luck to you!
Hebrews 11:1
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.
Romans 8:28
And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.
'Blessings' by Laura Story (What if trials of this life, are your mercies in disguise)
Glorious Ruins
September 10th, 2013, 07:47 AM
girlsofsummer's Avatar Expecting baby #1
Yayayay Ari! You can do it!

Start small. They key is to not overdue it the first few weeks or else you'll end up hating it.

Jeff Galloway method is a great starting point, too. I second what Linny said about getting decent quality shoes. You don't need to spend a lot -- don't be lured by $125 shoes, that's not necessary for what you're doing. However I would recommend if you do have a place near you that fits your feet, do that instead of going to just a regular shoe store.

Please PM me if you have any questions about running, I'd love to help!
September 10th, 2013, 08:03 AM
Mbwebb11212's Avatar Veteran
I found this site a while ago about getting into running. How to get fit: running for beginners

I too would LOVE to get into running. Everyone I know who is a runner loves it and I frequently have dreams where I'm running with ease and it's so peaceful. Of course when I run when I'm awake I'm huffing and puffing and more concerned about my body jiggling than actually running lol.

September 10th, 2013, 08:12 AM
butterfly721's Avatar TTC #1
I've never been a runner, so I don't really have any running advice. However, if you decide running is not for you, I'd like to recommend brisk walking on an incline on the treadmill. (I know you said you are bored with the treadmill, but I find it's tolerable if you listen to music or watch TV while you are on it. You can also always walk up hills, outside.)

Since I started my workout routine, I've lost 45 lbs. I was overweight when I started, but I'm back down to a normal weight for my height now. I'd still like to lose a little more. If you have any questions or need a workout buddy, please feel free to PM me.

September 10th, 2013, 09:16 AM
Ariw's Avatar Veteran
Em I was thinking of you when I was writing this..I'm sure I will be hitting you up for advice

I just took the dog for a brisk 2mile walk and used the runkeeper app..I liked it, kept me informed every 5 minutes but I want to find one for intervals that will tell me when to run/walk etc

Thanks everyone for the advice, always appreciated
September 10th, 2013, 09:23 AM
girlsofsummer's Avatar Expecting baby #1
I *think* there are Jeff Galloway podcasts and/or apps but not sure.

Although my mom is using the c25k app and she said it has run/walk verbal commands?
September 10th, 2013, 09:35 AM
BamaLove's Avatar Veteran
I am not a runner but I am swimmer I started out slowly when I was trying to lose weight to officially start TTC and found that running at my then current weight (295) was hurting me like whoa. So a friend suggested swimming laps to get my cardio and that was what worked for me. My goal was to be 199 lbs when I started TTC so it did take awhile but in the very much worth it. In the last 2 years I have gone from almost 300 lbs to 195 lbs. I am still not at the correct BMI for my height but heck not where I once was. You can do if you set your mind to it. Do not think of it as a task but rather an activity you and your DH can do together
Jen@FirsAve likes this.

September 10th, 2013, 10:12 AM
Mbwebb11212's Avatar Veteran
Wow, congratulations BamaLove. That's incredible.

September 10th, 2013, 10:56 AM
plan4fate's Avatar I may bend, but not break
Send a message via MSN to plan4fate
Totally not a runner here. I tried C25k a few years back and even 3 weeks in I couldn't do the first weeks worth of stuff... Now I'm too broken to run. LOL

Good luck sweetie
~TTC #1 together 2 years and counting ~

Awesome siggy made by Jaidynsmum
Matthew and Mark 08/24/2005 9w1d, Mattie Anne 04/07/2008 8w Mel and Dee 01/19/2010 (8 weeks) and 5 chemical pregnancies
Hope 07/22/2012@4w1d,Konnor 11/24/2012@3w6d,"Emmy"1/15/2013@ 3w6d,Ronen 02/10/2013@3w5d,Joy 07/19/2013@3w6d, "Pea" 09/06/2013@ 3w3d

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, PCOS, Insulin resistant.
150mcg Synthyroid, 500mg Metformin (aiming for 1500mg)
September 10th, 2013, 09:47 PM
Super Mommy
Ditto the comment about making it into a game, and every time you run just trying to one up yourself a little bit from the time before. That's one thing that motivated me.

Things I do to try to make it enjoyable... definitely have to have some good fast tempo music, and I will run in a park for the scenery and fresh air when it's nice out... If it's super hot or super cold, I just do my time on the treadmill or elliptical at the gym... which works out because I can also mess around with the weight machines. Really I have no idea what I'm doing with those though .

Honestly, I don't even think running is all that great... it's high impact and tough on your joints and just stresses your body in general, but it's such a straight forward thing to do and hard to completely screw up, that that's why I run. If I knew how to get in shape doing something else, I would, but running is the best way I know to really exert myself. If you don't like running, there are other ways to achieve the same goal.

Woo, you can check out Amy's crazy temps right here.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search