Eating More Produce

Forum: Trying to Conceive Your First Child

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive Your First Child LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 17th, 2013, 07:03 PM
I am counting down to TTC in about 11 months and have been trying to think of ways to prepare and get healthy in the meantime. Last week, I started trying to eat more produce.

Does anyone else feel like 5 servings a day is really a lot? Any tips for adding more without eating entire meals of just lettuce or bananas? What do you do for fruits/veggies in the winter? On a budget? How do you count servings?

Thanks! Tips and tricks would be appreciated; even strategies that nudge little ones into eating more would be appreciated
September 18th, 2013, 05:57 AM
momology's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What has really helped me is drinking a green smoothie every day (well almost every day) I put 1 banana, several scoops of plain lowfat yogurt, a handful of frozen strawberries, a good pour of orange juice, and then a big handful of spinach and blend that up. To do this on a budget I get my frozen strawberries in bulk from Sams and the other ingredients are really pretty cheap. 5 servings really is a lot but if you divide it out over the day (the smoothie is about 3 servings usually when I make it) Then I just need one serving with breakfast and one with dinner and it is more manageable.

Here are very general guidlines on measuring servings:
Fruits/ raw veggies - 1/2 cup = 1 serving
Berries - 1/2 cup = 1 serving
Spinach/ leafy greens - 1 cup = 1 serving
Whole fruit (banana, orange) 1 = 1 serving

Dont know any tips or tricks for little ones. Dont have any of those yet (and most ladies on this board dont)

Thank you *Kiliki* for the amazing siggy!!

Expecting our first baby August 25th, 2014!!!

September 18th, 2013, 06:05 AM
Ariw's Avatar Veteran
Ditto to Elle
I make green smoothies as well...It's very handy when you prepackage them and freeze them..put all the chopped and prepped veggies and fruit in a gallon size bag then in the morning, grab one, throw it in the blender, add liquid...there ya go.

Mine are a little different than Elle's
we do a handful of spinach, handful of green kale, a couple baby carrots, a little bit of celery, little bit of broccoli, then frozen berries...most of the time I use mangos and pineapple instead. and I add aloe or coconut water plus green superfood powder, flax and chia, sometimes maca powder...and half a banana every now and again.

Tags
budget , fruit , healthy eating , nutrition , vegetables

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search