DR apointment and questions

Forum: Trying to Conceive Your First Child

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive Your First Child LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 19th, 2005, 04:06 PM
aurora7997's Avatar Member
Send a message via AIM to aurora7997 Send a message via Yahoo to aurora7997
so i finally gave in and made an OB/GYN apointment last week for my yearly exam and to discuss TTC. i HATE going to the DR. this will be the first time i've seen an OB/GYN in my life. it's on 10/14 at 10am. AF should be over with by then (she should be here on the 5th), unless we some how get PG this month.

anyway, my question is, what types of questions do you suggest i ask? what should i expect? what else should i talk to her about? i have some medical problems and i know i need to tell her about them, but what else?

thank you for any advice.

<p style="background:clear;"><font face="verdana,arial,sans-serif" size="1" color="black">On November 25, 2001 we became one.</font>
</p>

September 20th, 2005, 10:14 AM
Hey Dawn,

Having been to the OB/GYN once myself I can only offer limited advice. You will definately have a papsmear if you haven't had one before. You should talk to him/her about not being able to conceive and any concerns you might have. I'm sure you'll have some tests run as well. I haven't been there in over a year and am hoping to not to have to go. I hate docs

Good luck!

Paula

~Baby dust to all!!!~
September 22nd, 2005, 05:30 AM
Hi Dawn,

I remember feeling the same way you are a loooong time ago, I am now 36 and have been going for years. All I can tell you is that it is something you get used to. The first few times are rough, but, after awhile you think to yourself, "OK, HAVE A LOOKSIE, WHO CARES, THEY SEE SO MANY A DAY!" Best of luck on your appointment. When I went to discuss TTC, I actually did an early blood test which would rule out or detect a whole series of things (they gave me the option of doing it then OR when I get pregnant). I opted to do it then, so they may ask you this too. Let us know how it goes..
September 22nd, 2005, 08:28 AM
Regular
Hi Dawn,
I have an appt the same day! I have been going to the gyno for about 10 years now - and I always dread it, but the anticipation ends up being worse than the visit itself!

It helps to find someone you're comfortable with. I've always gone to a woman. In college it was the rule anyways, but now it's my preference. She's very nice and talks me through the whole thing.

Dr will ask you first day of your last period; any problems with spotting or irregularity.

Since this is your first time they will probably also ask if you have any STDs; if you are monogamus, for how long; if you and your partner have been tested for HIV; what your other medical history is (surgeries, psychological problems, etc). They'll want to know what meds you're on also. Aside from a pap smear, they'll probably test you for STDs also. Pretty standard.

I am compiling a list to ask my Dr when I go:
1. What type of exercise can I do once I'm pregnant and for how long? (I practice karate 4-5 times a week)
2. What medications are safe to take when TTC or once pregnant (allergy meds, asthma inhalers, etc)?
3. What is a normal amount of calories to consume when TTC or when pregnant?

Good luck!!
September 25th, 2005, 02:41 PM
garshgirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree with everyone above, I've been going yearly for about 12 years now...(wow)..and it's gotten to where it okay, just do your thing, tell me i'm okay, and thanks for making sure everything is in place.
You're not the only one in the room even if the doc is a female.

good luck ttc...lots of baby dust to you!

September 25th, 2005, 03:06 PM
Hi, I just had my annual exam about six weeks ago. I actually like my OB/GYN but I hate my primary care doctor. My OB/GYN is always on-time, very easy to talk to and quite informative. When he found out I was about to TTC, he put me on pre-natals, something that I hadn't even thought about. So if you're not on pre-natals, you might want to ask him/her for that.

Cecilia
September 25th, 2005, 03:31 PM
ttmulligan's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Another good question to ask is about medications that your doctor says is ok to take. You often forget about allergies or headcolds or headaches, so it's better to ask your doctor what he/she recommends!!!

<span style="color:#CC33CC">me: Jessica, 25
DH: Patrick, 25
September 26th, 2005, 11:48 PM
aurora7997's Avatar Member
Send a message via AIM to aurora7997 Send a message via Yahoo to aurora7997
just to clarify something up, i've been going every year for my yearly tests stince i was 18, but always had a family practice DR, not an OB/GYN.

anyway, thanks for the help. i really do need to write up a list to take. i try to everytime i go to the DR.

<p style="background:clear;"><font face="verdana,arial,sans-serif" size="1" color="black">On November 25, 2001 we became one.</font>
</p>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search