Moving, moving, moving!!

Forum: Trying to Conceive Your First Child

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive Your First Child LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 13th, 2008, 01:30 PM
FyreMommy2B's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hey girls! It looks like we are going to be moving on base to a house. We got a letter from the management company for the house we rent that they are increasing our rent again. It's gone up $75 since we've lived here. We had a lease for the first year with a military clause so that if we get orders to a new base we are released from our lease. Well after one year they said we didn't have to renew the lease and could just go month to month. We will have been here for 2 years by the end of April. We have alot of room in this house (3bdroom, 2.5 bath) and it's in a very nice area. But we could really save alot of money by moving on base for a while.

So I was bummed about the increase in rent and Jake and I got to talking.

I don't know if I will like the base housing as much but I've been in a few from BBQ's this past summer and they were pretty nice. So we were thinking it was going to be a pain to move (knowing we'll be moving again by Sept/October when we get orders to a new base). We did the math and we'll be saving over $500 a month by moving to a house on base. Plus we found out that since DH has never lived on base (aside from the dorm he lived in after tech school) that the military will PAY for the move. Meaning they will pack and move our stuff. That was a pleasant suprise! And they will also pay for our move when we get stationed at a new base. So we're looking at this as a trial run to see how I like Base Housing and if I do then we may or may not stay in base housing at our next base.

I also found out that if we decide to move ourselves, they will pay us 90% of what the commercial movers would have charged to move us. So if we can do it for less than that then we could actually benefit a little.

So Jake just called and he stopped by the Housing office to fill out our application and they have 2 houses for us to go look at tomorrow and we can move as soon as April 1st. HOLY COW this went down quickly!!! So I'm meeting Jake for lunch tomorrow to go and see the 2 houses. We would save so much money living on base which is why I hope I like the houses. I'll be snapping pics with my camera to post so you can see what base housing is like.

And the nice thing is if I'm not crazy about it, it's only until Sept or Oct when we move again. We are planning to buy our first home at our next base once we find an apt or base house to live in while we get to know the area.

ps. - If anyone has any experience living on Base, would you please share you experience and thoughts. I'd love to know! Thanks!!

Our 2 year journey through Infertility & conceiving via IUI
http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1a8678

March 13th, 2008, 01:33 PM
LaLaRose3's Avatar My brand of heroin.
Good luck finding a house!! Keep us posted!

(NO FACEBOOK, PLEASE!)

March 13th, 2008, 01:39 PM
~April04~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to ~April04~ Send a message via MSN to ~April04~
Good luck!.. I never wanted to live on base.. just because we have no children so the Navy will only give us a one bedroom... and that's not enough room for us.. I hope you get bigger than that!!... I know quite a few people who have lived in base housing and they liked it a lot. It sucks about them taking your whole BAH so you can't make anything on that.. but it works out in some situations.

as far as moving.. I LOVE when the military moved us.. they do a fantastic job.. we did a partial DIY move this past time and made a lot of money off of it.. I hope you like base housing!!!

Thank You Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggie!

March 13th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Jennifer-in-Italy
Good luck! I've loved living on base here-the convenience of being so close to the commy, the hospital, the exhcnage, etc is wonderful. Housing may not be the nicest, but its cheap and saves money.
March 13th, 2008, 01:42 PM
~April04~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to ~April04~ Send a message via MSN to ~April04~
hehe I lucked out.. we rent a house like literally 5 mins from Langley Air Force base... and it's less than our BAH and I'm still only 5 mins from the commissary and exchange

But if we got stationed overseas.. I would definitely live in housing..

Thank You Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggie!

March 13th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
April I hope you like the housing. Saving $500 a month would be great! I can't wait to see pics.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

March 13th, 2008, 02:21 PM
CameraLinds's Avatar Zane & Jude's mama
Good luck!!! hope you like it and that it all works out!!

March 13th, 2008, 05:54 PM
snsgirl336's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I hope that you end up really liking the houses you're goign to look at! Keep us posted and Lots of Luck!

Thank you Natalie for my beautiful Siggie!!!

March 13th, 2008, 06:20 PM
FyreMommy2B's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks girls! I hope it works out for us. We found out from a friend who lives on base that it will be at least a 2 bedroom and a large basement. I am going to try to be very openminded although I can be pretty pick and I'm spoiled by our current house which is really very nice. *fingers crossed*

Our 2 year journey through Infertility & conceiving via IUI
http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1a8678

March 13th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Elliott's Mommy
Keep repeating to yourself that you can live 6 months just about anywhere so long as it's safe and habitable. And the $$ you save will help when you get your BFP and get to go shopping for all that new furniture

PS--This msg. is sent with love from your home state. . .

March 14th, 2008, 02:59 AM
Justjeni's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My Dh served 8 1/2 years at the same base and we lived on base housing the minute it came open. We really didn't mind it. Of course we lived in NO pet housing and that was always cleaner and much more new. I think now days most base housing has been updated, even "pet housing". We really like being close to the commissary and gas station. It was handy for both of us. I even did daycare for 2 of the years. I liked the support & we saved tons of money. A lot of people think they make money off base, but I have just seen people not make money b/c they don't add in all the things like......garbage, water, just different things like that. It just depends on who you rent from. I tried to stay my distance from those stay at home women that like to gossip. LOL You probably know what I'm talking about. Oh and another thing I loved about living on base was the gym!!! Let me know how things go for you.
March 14th, 2008, 06:35 AM
*Michelle*
A $500 savings is Niiiice! Sounds terrific to me, living that close to all those resources on base and they move you. Good luck with the move I think this is fantastic news! (save up more $ for a baby )
March 14th, 2008, 07:23 AM
LuvMyToriBug's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It will be great to save that money each month!! Good Luck, I hope it works out well for you and Jake!!

March 14th, 2008, 07:50 AM
Em2528's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
House shopping is so much fun, and its so exciting when you finally look at a place and LIKE IT...I hope all works out for you. Cant wait to see pics!

................. .
.................................................. ..

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search