Must-Watch Movies

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To General Chat LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 17th, 2010, 08:21 PM
foxfire_ga79
What movies do you think everyone simply MUST watch, because they are so moving and meaningful, or just plain good fun movies? I have NetFlix and I'm always open to new suggestions. Here's what I think you ladies might be interested in.

The War.
Kevin Costner and Elijah Wood as father and son in the 70's with 2 plots. The father is dealing with PTSD from Vietnam, and the son and daughter are having to deal with a group of bullies. I cry every. single. time. I watch this movie and so does everyone I've ever watched it with. From my badazz construction worker cousin to big ole cops and firefighters, there are no dry eyes in the end of this movie.

Angela's Ashes.
True autobiography of an impoverished family in Ireland.

Pan's Labyrinth.
It's in Spanish so there are subtitles. This is the ultimate faerie tale, but SO not for kids! It's pretty powerful to me, it really hit a lot of emotion.

The Nativity Story.
It's the best put together movie of Jesus' birth I've ever seen, but I've only seen like 2 or 3 cuz this isn't my usual topic for movies. lol I don't normally go for the Biblical stuff, but this one was VERY good.

From Hell.
COOL Jack The Ripper movie with Johnny Depp!

Waking Ned Devine.
Hilarious movie about people in a tiny rural Irish town---Mostly old people, like only 3 young adults and 1 child. The old people all play the lottery and finally one of them won it. But he died of a heart attack with the winning ticket in his hand, so his friends dreamed up a plan of pretending to be him to claim the prize money and share it with the whole town. Non-stop laughing.

I could go on and on, I love movies. How about ya'll??
June 19th, 2010, 07:05 AM
mayandsofiasmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I just watched Coraline and Alice in Wonderland. LOVED both!

There are so many movies that I am SO bad about remembering which ones are the best.

June 19th, 2010, 07:50 AM
GinaB's Avatar Ex-Navy Lifetime NRA!
Movies that really mean something to me

Crash

Quote:
Several stories interweave during two days in Los Angeles involving a collection of inter-related characters, a police detective with a drugged out mother and a thieving younger brother, two car thieves who are constantly theorizing on society and race, the white district attorney and his irritated and pampered wife, a racist white veteran cop (caring for a sick father at home) who disgusts his more idealistic younger partner, a successful Hollywood director and his wife who must deal with the racist cop, a Persian-immigrant father who buys a gun to protect his shop, a Hispanic locksmith and his young daughter who is afraid of bullets, and more.
Imitation of Life (Lana Turner version)

Quote:
A struggling young actress with a six-year-old daughter sets up housekeeping with a homeless black widow and her light-skinned eight-year-old daughter who rejects her mother by trying to pass for white
Fried Green Tomatoes

Quote:
A housewife who is unhappy with her life befriends an old lady in a nursing home and is enthralled by the tales she tells of people she used to know.
Saving Private Ryan

Quote:
Following the Normandy Landings, a group of US soldiers go behind enemy lines to retrieve a paratrooper whose brothers have been killed in action.

Movies that are just plain entertainment to me and my sick mind

Way of the Gun

Quote:
Two criminal drifters without sympathy get more than they bargained for after kidnapping and holding for ransom the surrogate mother of a powerful and shady man.
Lord of War

Quote:
An arms dealer confronts the morality of his work as he is being chased by an Interpol agent
Munich

Quote:
Based on the true story of the Black September aftermath, about the five men chosen to eliminate the ones responsible for that fateful day.
Band of Brothers

Quote:
The story of Easy Company of the US Army 101st Airborne division and their mission in WWII Europe from Operation Overlord through V-J Day.
The Ring I & II

Quote:
A young journalist must investigate a mysterious videotape which seems to cause the death of anyone in a week of viewing it
Quote:
Six months after the incidents involving the lethal videotape, new clues prove that there is a new evil lurking in the darkness
I am not a sappy, love story type person

June 19th, 2010, 08:36 AM
blondie-lox's Avatar Do NOT feed the Troll
I love the Notebook, because I'm a sap and ALWAYS cry.

My top movies are

Stepbrothers - HILARIOUS!

Super Troopers - again really funny

The Hangover - so funny

I also like

Seven

American History X

Huge thanks to *Kiliki* for the FANTABULOUS new siggy!!
June 19th, 2010, 08:49 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfire_ga79 View Post
Pan's Labyrinth.
It's in Spanish so there are subtitles. This is the ultimate faerie tale, but SO not for kids! It's pretty powerful to me, it really hit a lot of emotion.
This movie made me actually throw up, and gave me nightmares.. and that doesn't happen often. I was horrified, heh.

My movie list is kind of random; my favorites:
The Princess Bride
Saving Private Ryan
Mean Girls
Starstruck

But mostly I stick to whole television series:
Rome
Tudors
Dexter
The Last Airbender
Firefly
Star Trek: Voyager
June 19th, 2010, 02:37 PM
*Dayna*'s Avatar Aussie Mama
Trainspotting.
Requiem of a Dream.
June 19th, 2010, 04:52 PM
WineKeepsMeSane's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm not claiming cinematic greatness, just movies I can watch over and over

Shining Through (spies in WWII, based on a book)
Love Actually
The Princess Bride

hmm... more will come to me.

June 19th, 2010, 07:22 PM
foxfire_ga79
The Stoning Of Soraya M.
True story of a woman whose husband was sick of her so claimed she committed adultery to have her stoned to death so he could remarry.

I'm watching Precious right now. Was the book Push any good?
June 19th, 2010, 07:30 PM
Poncho06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I can get lost in watching Almost Famous

Sin Nombre is a great movie (subtitles) based around immigration to america

Run Lola Run

LOTR trilogy

Half Baked

Once Bitten

Better off dead

One Crazy Summer

I know I'll come up with more......

June 19th, 2010, 07:37 PM
JustJodes's Avatar Valar Morghulis
Top Gun
Good Will Hunting
Shawshank Redemption
The Usual Suspects
Forrest Gump
Billy Madison
Happy Gilmore
Slapshot
Old School
Scent of a Woman
School Ties
The Lost Boys
Fight Club
Youngblood
Chasing Amy (Actually, any Kevin Smith movie really)
The Program
Almost Famous

'Not today.'”

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search