Lily learned a lesson tonight, and I'm a mean mommy :)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To General Chat LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 6th, 2010, 08:44 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Lily learned a messy lesson tonight...

Well tonight I let out our dog to go potty, a couple minutes later he is barking and I yell at him to come back in. Then we smelled the most horrible smell in the world, I couldn't tell if it was poop or a skunk. I then find out Lily is laughing at the fact that she went outside on the upstairs balcony and made Cody bark. Therefore I knew what happened... I go and check his tail and there is poop ALL OVER him. He was interrupted pooping and probably ended up pooping and running back home at the same time. It was all over his back end. So I get pretty mad at the fact that we have to clean him off at 9pm at night all because Lily distracted him. So as a natural consequence what does this Mommy do? Make her help me clean up all the poop off of him and give him a bath! She did NOT like it and my poor dog looked like he was ashamed at the whole situation. So she helped me give him a bath, she did cheer up (she was pretty upset about having to clean off his poop) but she certainly learned the lesson to not interrupt the dog when he is going potty And now she's running around the house happy that her doggie is clean and the dog loves baths, so of course he is wired too.

But 30 minutes ago.... oh man my anger was at a 10, I couldn't believe she would do that to him! Kids, don't ya love em?
August 6th, 2010, 08:54 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
August 7th, 2010, 09:41 AM
WineKeepsMeSane's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How old is Lily again?

I'm not really sure what to say to this....

August 7th, 2010, 11:17 AM
**Badfish**'s Avatar Worth Saving
How old is the dog? We go to a dog park at least twice a day and dogs are continuously distracted and trying to play while pooping and they manage to stay clean. Might want to call the vet. That doesn't sound normal.

August 7th, 2010, 11:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Well I guess Lily won't interrupt him again! Poor Lily, haha. I love that name by the way. So pretty.

August 7th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I hope you both had gloves on.

Is she old enough to know that she distracted him in the middle of potty time or did she just think she was trying to get her dogs attention? If she's really young, I probably wouldn't have enlisted her help for much if any of the cleaning as its a mess thats easier contained if I take care of it myself.

Glad everyone was happy when it was over though.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
August 7th, 2010, 02:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
She's almost 7... she knew what she was doing was wrong. We have had to tell her before not to distract him because my dog has the attention span of a flea and gets sidetracked way too easy. So she was old enough to know better, and she knew better because we have told her numerous times to leave him alone.

Jess... we think he had the runs from this new bone we got him yesterday that he ate a lot of but we think it upset his tummy. After we saw he had the runs we took the bone away and he hasn't pooped since. I swear all of our shelties have had the most sensitive stomachs ever. Cody is 5, but he has always had a sensitive tummy.

And we also had gloves on, we have lots of rubber gloves because we needed them after mom had surgery and needed to change the dressings. Of course I cleaned up most of the dog, she did help with keeping him in the bathtub and not jump out, but it was a natural consequence for her to finally see why we tell her to leave the dog alone when he is outside. Our pup is way too easily distracted so after telling her time and time again to leave him alone, she learned why. People can think it's mean, but at her age I don't think it's horrible because she should know better, especially when told time and time again to let him be until after he is finished.
August 7th, 2010, 03:34 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
....I consider myself to be pretty strict but this is just... I don't even know.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
August 7th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Excuse me, I must have failed as a parent because I made my child help me clean up her dog after she distracted him while he was going to the bathroom, despite being told not to many times before, and thought it was funny. Yes, I am the big mean Mommy and way too strict!

She's almost 7 years old and has been told not to distract the dog many times before. She's more than old enough to help clean her dog, especially when she thinks it's funny to distract him when I let him outside to go to the bathroom.
August 7th, 2010, 04:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't think you did anything wrong. It's not like Lily is 2 years old and you made her wash the dog on her hands and knees with no gloves on. I probably would have made Chloe help me too under those circumstances especially since you mentioned that you've told her before not to bother the dog while he is doing his business. Learning to wash a dog isn't going to emotionally damage anyone, lol.

August 7th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I guess I feel like I'm missing something? She distracted the dog, so he got poop all over himself? I'm not following I guess. My dogs, even if they stop because they see a squirrel, don't come inside covered in poop. I'm not sure why the 7 year old is the fault of a dog being covered in poop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe'sMommy View Post
I don't think you did anything wrong. It's not like Lily is 2 years old and you made her wash the dog on her hands and knees with no gloves on. I probably would have made Chloe help me too under those circumstances especially since you mentioned that you've told her before not to bother the dog while he is doing his business. Learning to wash a dog isn't going to emotionally damage anyone, lol.
What is said to children is though. My dad making me clean the kitchen because I dropped plates wasn't damaging. The accusations and things said to me while I was cleaning, I'll never forget.

I guess it's something I'm sensitive to, but blaming a child for a dog's actions doesn't make sense to me. If the dog gets distracted by almost anything including noises, how do you know it was her fault? I still don't follow that she somehow covered the dog in poop.

August 7th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My take is that Lily purposefully distracted the dog while he was going to the bathroom. She has been told more than once to not distract the dog. She did it anyways, and this resulted in the dog being covered in poop.

I'd make my daughter help me anyways, regardless if she was the catalyst to the poop because well, I can't give a dog a bath myself. My dog hates baths and it takes two+ people to hold her down.

August 7th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lash View Post
I guess I feel like I'm missing something? She distracted the dog, so he got poop all over himself? I'm not following I guess. My dogs, even if they stop because they see a squirrel, don't come inside covered in poop. I'm not sure why the 7 year old is the fault of a dog being covered in poop?
Once she distracted him he started barking at her and running back towards the house, and was continuing to poop while he ran. He had the runs (I'm guessing from his new bone) and so his tail and legs got poop on it from him running. That was the issue with her, she saw him going to the bathroom and was calling to him from the upstairs balcony, and she's been told numerous times before to leave him alone when he is doing his business. My dog has the attention span of a flea, we have told her this many times. So she had to help me clean him. If that makes me a bad/strict parent, so be it
August 7th, 2010, 04:23 PM
It just wasn't explained in the OP in any detail, IMO I guess, that made it linear. There wasn't any way to follow how the dog was covered in poop or how distraction factors in to the equation at all

August 7th, 2010, 04:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lash View Post
It just wasn't explained in the OP in any detail, IMO I guess, that made it linear. There wasn't any way to follow how the dog was covered in poop or how distraction factors in to the equation at all
I said in the OP that she interrupted him and he came running home and probably pooping and running at the same time. I also explained how she thought it was funny that she distracted him and made him bark. So those details were covered
August 7th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Then you wouldn't have had multiple posts by multiple people if everyone here understood what you wrote. While it seemed easy and simplistic to you, apparently it was not so to the readers.

These suggest that people didn't have much understanding of the entire story. So either everyone here is ridiculously stupid, or there needed to be more explanation.

Each comment made thus far on this thread has been met with sarcasm and "well I guess I'm just horrible". I asked you basic questions for understanding and am met with smilie icons winking sarcasm, and "if that makes me a bad parent, so be it". Are you just attempting to bait people into saying that to you? I asked some pretty basic questions, to be met with a high level of defensiveness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amegra View Post
How old is Lily again?

I'm not really sure what to say to this....

Quote:
Jess is Write How old is the dog? We go to a dog park at least twice a day and dogs are continuously distracted and trying to play while pooping and they manage to stay clean. Might want to call the vet. That doesn't sound normal.
Quote:
frgsonmysox
....I consider myself to be pretty strict but this is just... I don't even know.
Quote:
Tammyjh
I hope you both had gloves on.

Is she old enough to know that she distracted him in the middle of potty time or did she just think she was trying to get her dogs attention? If she's really young, I probably wouldn't have enlisted her help for much if any of the cleaning as its a mess thats easier contained if I take care of it myself.

Glad everyone was happy when it was over though.
Quote:
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)

August 7th, 2010, 05:52 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Nope, not expecting to "bait" anyone. That's how I type and how I am in person, playfully sarcastic. Nothing meant by it, that's the way I write and speak to others. It's not a baiting tactic. But for people to seem put off by the fact that I made my child help give the dog a bath after she found it funny that she distracted him while he was going to the bathroom just makes me shake my head, because that to me is personal responsibility when it comes to family pets. I also explained that he probably ended up running and pooping, which explains why he had poop on him. I fail to see how whatever was added in later somehow changes the scenario either. One part added in later was how the dog has no attention span and is easily distracted, but that isn't a huge vital piece of information in the equation... point is she found it funny that she messed with the dog when he was outside doing his business. Even if I didnt originally put that she has done this before to the dog, even if it was the first time she had done it she would most likely have to help me clean him up. That's the responsibility that comes along with having a pet. I am practically shaking my head and laughing at the comments that are made, as if I did some horrible thing, but I know I didn't. Even if someone would say it, I know I didn't. It wouldn't bother me. Enlisting the help of your child to take care of their pets is something that my family expects at the earliest age possible. Even if that means handing a 2 year old a cup of food to put in the dog bowl, or as in last nights case, making my 6 year old help give a bath after she found it funny that she interrupted the dog going to the bathroom. We have a fish and Lily can't clean the tank without killing the fish, but she can feed the fish every day and wash the toys when the tank is being cleaned. I don't see how personal responsibility for family pets is strict... but if it is, so be it. I always took care of my own pets as much as I could at the earliest age, and that made me even closer to my pets. Therefore, I do the same for my child.
August 7th, 2010, 06:03 PM
I find that interesting, given that you titled your own post "I'm a mean mommy".

You can continue typing and interacting as you are-- I am however stating and helping you understand that this will be the continued response. If you don't enjoy these responses, then I'm not sure what else to tell you. As long as you are ok with this, then I'm not sure why the defensiveness is so high.

August 7th, 2010, 06:09 PM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The dog has the runs from eating a bone and probably ended up running before finishing his duty and you're saying its your dd's fault that he was a mess?
Quote:
I also explained that he probably ended up running and pooping

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
August 7th, 2010, 06:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
With a smiley face after the "mean mommy," kind of hinting that ya know, it's a joke? lol Sarcastic maybe? I'm hardly a true, mean mommy, and I know that. But that doesn't mean I can't be sarcastic and say I'm mean for making Lily help me clean up the dog. It's in a lighthearted manner, thats it!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search