Please vote

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: when is a post too old to bump
30 days 9 27.27%
60 days 8 24.24%
after page one 3 9.09%
we don't need one 13 39.39%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To General Chat LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 8th, 2010, 05:28 PM
KimberlyD0
So we figured to be sure everyone gets a voice and to ensure its what people want we'll hold a vot for the regulations.

The main thing people wanted was a regulation about bumping posts. What we need to know is how long.

Please vote here and then we can get everything finalised.
August 8th, 2010, 05:34 PM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
I think the whole upset about bumping a post is stupid. Is there an option for that?
August 8th, 2010, 06:03 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
^^ There's a "we don't need one" button you can click.
August 8th, 2010, 07:26 PM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
I don't like to conform
August 8th, 2010, 08:33 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
I voted!
August 8th, 2010, 09:58 PM
rose198172's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Voted!

August 9th, 2010, 04:32 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
voted

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
August 9th, 2010, 05:32 AM
Nekinna2402's Avatar Anniken <3 Tanja
Send a message via MSN to Nekinna2402
we don't need one

But if we were to.. I'd rather think like after a year.. not just 30/60 days

August 10th, 2010, 05:48 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Bump

I don't think most people on the main board even know that we've asked for input. Few people check this section or have any clue that topics like this might be posted here. I think we need to add a link on the main board for both the input thread, and this thread. I forget this section even exists, but we are asking for DEBATE input. I think the regular debate board needs to know that and weigh in

August 11th, 2010, 01:19 AM
summerblue's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by glasscandie View Post
I think the whole upset about bumping a post is stupid. Is there an option for that?
ditto

There is no way to enforce a rule anyway. If someone wants to search for an old topic, then they can bump it. They might actually add something new. You never know!

I craft, check out my blog!
August 11th, 2010, 06:38 AM
mayandsofiasmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
um, there should be an "other" category. I think anything on page 3 or after should not be bumped.

August 11th, 2010, 09:59 PM
Undomesticated Housewife's Avatar Master(de)bater
Since even a RULE wont be able to prevent it.. and those of us in favor of one seem to be 'losing' anyway ..how about a sticky with some 'helpful tips'?

Something like:
Tips For New Debate Participants

Posting A New Debate Topic
  • You can use the search function to see if your topic has recently been discussed. If the last time it was debated was more than 1 month/2 months/3 pages back, go ahead and start a new discussion.
  • If the last time the topic was debated was less than 1 month/2 months/3 pages back, feel free to bump the last active discussion. Be aware that you might not receive many replies since it was so recently debated. Do not let this discourage you from posting in other topics. It is possible that members just have nothing left to add to the topic.
..and so on with whatever else would be good info for newbs. I know I've seen some "Give them a break, they are new and didnt know" type responses to regulars getting upset over various things. This way, they might actually KNOW and be more open to actually doing these things?

I dont know, but just thought I'd throw it out there!
August 11th, 2010, 11:58 PM
summerblue's Avatar Veteran
Just an FYI from someone who has been chatting on forums for almost 7 years. You can make a rule about this. You can cause yourself a lot of grief by getting annoyed when old threads bumped and you can try to make a rule and you can get all pissy at the newbs who do the bumping but nothing will really change. You can't enforce a rule like this. How could you? The only thing you could do is to lock threads after a certain point.

But if they are there and are open, don't you think it is actually considerate to do a search to see if a topic has already been debated? Then, you read it and if you have something new to add, you post. It gets bumped. What is the big deal? If you are done with it, move on. Why post all this whiny stuff? Just move on to a different thread and be done and let the old one die.

Really, I would think it is more annoying to read all this complaining than it is to read an old thread.

I craft, check out my blog!
August 12th, 2010, 06:30 AM
**Badfish**'s Avatar Worth Saving
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerblue View Post
Just an FYI from someone who has been chatting on forums for almost 7 years. You can make a rule about this. You can cause yourself a lot of grief by getting annoyed when old threads bumped and you can try to make a rule and you can get all pissy at the newbs who do the bumping but nothing will really change. You can't enforce a rule like this. How could you? The only thing you could do is to lock threads after a certain point.

But if they are there and are open, don't you think it is actually considerate to do a search to see if a topic has already been debated? Then, you read it and if you have something new to add, you post. It gets bumped. What is the big deal? If you are done with it, move on. Why post all this whiny stuff? Just move on to a different thread and be done and let the old one die.

Really, I would think it is more annoying to read all this complaining than it is to read an old thread.
You can always just go back to your other forums. Just sayin'.

August 12th, 2010, 06:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think even if it was a sticky, people wouldn't read it. To be honest, I haven't read the forum rules or any of the stickies. I assumed there was probably a rule about being respectful and what not and having lurked and read about how the others debated, it was clear to me what the rules were.

I'm all for not bumping super old threads, but I realize making it a rule or even a sticky won't make one shred of difference.

Oh, and from the poll, most people do want to see a rule/sticky implemented, we just can't decide on how long it should be. There should be another poll solely for determining how long it should be since the members (at least the ones that voted) would like to see something about it in the rules.

August 12th, 2010, 07:53 AM
I'll say it again. These guidelines are meant to HELP, not rule the land. It's easier to just quote the guidelines if something is in place, rather than go back and forth on a bumped thread saying
"don't bump"-
"why not, there is no rule I can do what I want"-
"yes you're right, it's just not helpful and won't get you the results you want"-
"neener neener I can bump a 4 year old thread if I want, and quote all these people who don't exist, now why won't anyone respond to these"-
"nobody will respond, they are gone, can you start a new thread now"-
"there is no rule, I can do what I want"

It's not about having a RULE. It's about having a guideline that helps communicate and make it easier for everyone, newbs and old posters. We can easily say "well it's in the guidelines to help you learn the flow of the board, and helps you see how to navigate".

This is what I put in the other thread, and I still think it stands. It starts out talking about why bumping can become a problem, but talks about the addition to guidelines in general

Quote:
I think it became an issue the other day because it DID happen over and over that day. It seems that when threads are getting bumped, it happens in succession, as someone is somehow reading the old stuff and bumping over and over.
That's just a trend I've seen over the years as to why bumping gets so old. It's usually never just one thread, it's confusing, and 8 "brand new" threads just got sent to the top of the board, pushing down other actual active threads. Then those bumped threads either get ignored totally or they get tons of attention and the debates that were thriving die off.

I think just like the debate terms at this moment are very open and have room to interpret, I think something along these lines can be added that doesn't necessarily make it against RULES but it does add to the guidelines. We don't REPORT a thread every time someone doesn't back up their stance, but we can point them to the guidelines that suggest that if you come to the forum, you must be prepared to back up your stuff and go beyond opinions.

So I don't think they are asking for new rules. Or new duties, or new anything that will create actual changes. The guidelines are not things that generally are about locking threads or reportable offenses. It's meant to HELP us as debaters, to point people to expectations and guidelines for the board.

So what do we as debaters actually want HELP with?

Things like these ideas-- some are meant just for us to discuss here in general and probably not added to the actual written guidelines, but these ideas are meant to inspire us to talk about what we do want added to move the debates along better

-Please don't bump threads over 10 days old. Old threads often inspire ideas, but please start a new thread if it is over 10 days old.

-Please don't hit and run? If you engage in the debate, please continue to engage in the discussion or back up your words or something to this effect.

-Please do NOT report a thread if you are not actually active in the thread. If you are lurking, allow the grownups in the thread to manage their own issues either through PM or on the board itself. Locking threads actually creates more issues, so if you did not participate, please do not report a thread. You might make things worse.

-Please work it out through Pm's first before you report a thread if you ARE involved.

This is from another forum that I visit:
** If you post it then be prepared for any fallout your words may cause. Debates can get heated. Be prepared to back up your posts!
It WILL make a difference, not so much in the bumping of a thread, but our ability to just point to the guideline and move on. You post the entire guideline, quoting it. It's then easily managed, the entire guidelines are seen and read, and you move on. It's more about how to react after it happens than stopping it from happening all together.

August 12th, 2010, 08:09 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerblue View Post

I've been posting in forums for almost 11 years and discussing the guidelines has happened in probably every one I've been a part of. What you see as "whining", most of us see as a discussion on what may or may not help the forums run a little easier. If you don't want to be annoyed by reading this thread, ignoring it might be the best solution.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
August 12th, 2010, 08:17 AM
I agree. We either ignore things or face them head on and discuss issues the board is having, even if they are minor. Best to at least discuss it as a group, even if nothing changes at all. Discussion about how we all see it could lead to a changing of ideas or approach or a third option that nobody ever thought of before now. I think it's well evidenced in human nature and at JM specifically that ignoring an issue doesn't fix anything.

This is the major complaint with threads being locked- the adults can't work out their issues. This is one major massive reason I want it added in the guidelines to please please please not report threads if you are not actively involved in the thread. It's like stepping into a fight between grown up siblings and telling them to go to their rooms, or stopping a married couple from finishing a heated discussion when you see it out in public. Let those people sort it out!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search