Hah. (kind of long and bloggy)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To General Chat LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 12th, 2010, 08:22 PM
MrsSarah1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So earlier this week, I stopped by the grocery store on my way home. I was in kind of a sarcastic fighting mood so I should have known to avoid the public.

As I'm getting my stuff I pass by this guy, shaven head with a t-shirt that shows the outline of the bible and something about the world ending in 2012. Whatever. To each their own.

I get to the check outline, and as I'm walking up and unloading my cart I hear this voice "That lady needs a ticket back to Mexico, know what I mean?" I didn't immediately take notice because I could have been overhearing the last part of a conversation. He continued, and said "It's just not right what's happening. People like that shouldn't be here." I turned around and it was the guy in the bible shirt, shaking his head in disgust talking to the cashier behind me. My heart filled with anger as he continued "They should just ship them all back. It's just a sin against God."

(By the way, Merced, California is about the most diverse town in California. We have citizens of dozens and dozens of countries, at least half of our population is from Mexico or has Mexican heritage. This is just NOT the place to be spouting your arrogant opinions in the middle of the grocery store.. )

At this point the few cashiers and customers standing in line were pretty silent. Everyone was listening to what he was saying but no one was moving except his cashier that was robotically scanning his items.

Then, he continues!! "Homosexuality is also a sin. It's an abomination and disgusting." and then attempted to hand the cashier a pamphlet.

I couldn't help myself.

I turned around and said "How do you sleep at night?"

He looked at me a little stunned and said "Very well, thank you. But homosexuality is a sin."

I said "You are a hateful man!" to which he replied "No, I am a loving person. I love god and everyone except sinners and homosexuals."

I think I didn't breathe during this, but I said: "What happened to love? What happened to love thy neighbor? What happened to that? Why all this hate and judgment? Love is God and Love is God and you are a hateful man."

He replied "No, I am loving. Bible verse (blahblahblah) says (blahblahblah). Homosexuality is a disgrace."

To which I replied "No sir, YOU ARE A DISGRACE!"

He was done at that point, passed out a few flyers that no one really took and left. I fumbled with my bank card and the cashier kept smiling at me. As I left some people outside and at the door said thank you.

I was expecting John Quinones to pop out of the bushes and tell me it was all a tv show set up. But it wasn't.

I know that all of our opinions vary on this topic and I'm STRONGLY supportive of equal rights and against discrimination/prejudice (though actually on the fence about immigration), but under no circumstances do you stand in a grocery store, IN MERCED!, and spout off your views on our current immigration policy and gay marriage. How offensive!

I know that I did the same.. I spouted off my views, but no one was saying anything. I could feel the pressure and the tension. Both of the cashiers were hispanic and I'm sure they themselves have family members that were born in Mexico, or have friends, heck, I have friends that were born in Mexico, and family members too!

So I swear, I left that store floating on could 9. It felt **so good** to speak up like that. I am so tired of the hatred towards people of other religions, other races, other sexual orientations, other countries. Can we just stop already??

And, after this, I was talking to my best friend who was in school with me. She laughed and reminded me of the third grade. My first time I got in trouble.

It was Christmas time, we were instructed to make handmade Christmas cards. A little girl named Elizabeth, I think, said that she wasn't allowed to because it was against her families beliefs. The teacher told her it was fine, she could make one about winter or anything she wants.

The teacher walked away to the back of the classroom and the boys sitting next to her started to tease her. They told her she was stupid for not celebrating Christmas and she wouldn't get any presents from Santa because she didn't believe in it. They laughed at her and she started to cry a little. I stood up and yelled something to the nature of "You can't make fun of her. She can believe what she wants to believe and you're stupid, not her!" or something. The teacher yelled at me to pull my yellow card and I had to sit in for recess.

That just cracks me up..

Sarah: Equal rights activist since 1992
August 12th, 2010, 10:54 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Proud of you for standing up for that girl and in the grocery store!

That's why I love the debates. You can talk about your opinions in a way more constructive manner than like that guy did.
August 13th, 2010, 03:30 AM
TheMrs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Go you!!! I would have moved your card to purple (the best of the best in my class) if you were in my class.

August 13th, 2010, 04:56 AM
Linzie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Linzie
Good for you! There is nothing wrong at all for standing up to hatred and discrimination. And that guy is sooo wrong. (warning! religious views!) You are supposed to love thy enemy and thy neighbor. And i fail to see how Mexicans living in America is a "sin against God". Close-minded, short-sighted, religious extremists make me ALMOST ashamed to say I am a Christian. I do not want to be lumped with them.

but i applaud you!

August 13th, 2010, 05:41 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to melkissa2004 Send a message via Yahoo to melkissa2004
You go girl!

August 13th, 2010, 06:03 AM
WineKeepsMeSane's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Good for you! I can't stand people who use religion (any religion) as a justification for horrible behaviour.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search