Aw Crap

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To General Chat LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 16th, 2010, 12:43 PM
foxfire_ga79
Well, got a note home from Timmy's teacher today, and nuts are banned in their classroom because there's a kid with an allergy. Now WTH do I do? 3 of his top 10 favorite foods are PB&J, celery with almond butter, and trail mix.
If it was just peanuts I had to get rid of I'm sure I could figure it out. Wally World sells soy butter that supposedly tastes like peanut butter that I'll start buying for Timmy. But ALL nuts? So many of the things I buy have warnings on the labels that they are made in the same factories that handle nuts. Even his favorite granola bars "may have traces of peanuts" according to the label.
There are a select few things that Timmy is willing to eat that are practical for packing for a school lunch time and afternoon snack time.
OMG I just realized, he won't be allowed to take Nutella either then will he?? I'm screwed, I'm SO screwed. I don't even know where to begin to try and figure out what he's allowed to take.
August 16th, 2010, 01:25 PM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Was there a list of appropriate foods with the note from the teacher? Maybe the parents of the child with the nut allergy could put together a list so that the other parents could help them help their child?

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
August 16th, 2010, 02:36 PM
Veteran
Oh that sucks! I am worried this will happen with us too. Owen is not a big meat eater so when he takes sandwiches they're more than likely going to be PB sandwiches.
August 16th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I make lily lots of cheese and butter sandwiches (one of her favorites). I have found a lot of easy to make foods that don't require peanuts, because even though she likes pbj sandwiches she didn't want them for lunch all the time.

Maybe some ideas are (based on what I give Lily):
-Cream cheese and jelly tortilla rollups
-Cracker lunchables, which can be made easily by yourself with just cheese and crackers and lunchmeat (Lily just really likes lunchables)
-Pizza lunchables (once again, can probably make without it being the actual lunchables brand)
-Macaroni salad (if your lunchbox can stay pretty cool so the mayo doesn't go bad)
-A "snack lunch" of special K granola/protein bars (as far as I know they do not have peanuts/trace amounts), dried fruit mix, she has to pick out one main food which is usually a half of a cheese or turkey sandwich, or the tortilla roll ups), goldfish crackers, cheese cubes, yogurt, and granola (which doesn't have peanuts, but once again might have trace amounts, haven't checked).

Lily usually likes the snack lunch, because as much as I push her to eat she eats like crap at school and gets distracted. It's so hard to get weight on her so I try to pack what she can eat and eat quickly. I might have to tell her teachers to please push her to eat next year. I always pack extra so she can have a snack at before/after school care, and the snack lunches usually give her the choice of what to have at snack time and lunch time. Which reminds me, she doesn't have a snack time this year. I have no idea how she will adjust to that, although hopefully she eats more at lunch then.

Although speaking of lunches, I got an email from her school stating the changes her school is doing in lunches, and I'm quite pleased with it. Haven't checked out the actual menu, but maybe she will be able to eat more hot lunches this year with the changes they are doing.
August 16th, 2010, 04:42 PM
foxfire_ga79
See, this is made worse by the fact that Timmy is so picky. No macaroni salad, hates lunch meats.
I'll try that cream cheese roll up, sounds good. But I've been trying so hard to get the kids away from over processed foods. The jelly I buy now has no added colors or HFCS. I've just about rid the family of HFCS and artificial colors.
I go to great lengths to make sure my kids have food that's good for THEM and meets THEIR needs, and now I have the burden of making sure I don't kill someone else's kid with my kid's lunch. No pressure or anything.
I called the principal of the school and left a message for her to call me back because I want to ask if Timmy can be moved to the other kindergarten classroom. I'm about to have a fuggin panic attack right now freaking out about making sure I don't accidentally send anything with nuts and kill that kid. I don't trust myself, I could overlook something way too easily.
August 16th, 2010, 05:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Are you positive that the rule is no nuts including those products which may contain trace amounts or is made on the same equipment as nuts? In my DS's classroom last year there was a child that had a nut allergy but if it was trace amounts of nuts or made on the same equipment as nuts it was okay. Talk with the family and/or school to find out the perimeters.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search