Birthday Party

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To General Chat LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 19th, 2010, 07:44 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
What does one do at a 3-year-old's birthday party? I've never really been to one, or had one, or thrown one, and I'm totally in the dark. Any ideas?
August 19th, 2010, 07:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
They eat cake and ice cream (well most of it probably ends up on their face/clothes/floor), run around screaming their heads off and laughing at everything. Then more cake. More screaming. Yeah, that's what happens at 3 year old b-day parties that I've attended. I suggest a lot of Excedrin.

PINATA Kes, pinata. You have to get one. And goody bags. Yes.

August 19th, 2010, 08:02 PM
AMDG's Avatar Margaret
We went to a three year old birthday party at a pool a few weeks ago.
We've decided we aren't having parties for our kids every year - we are going to pick a few special years like 5 and 10 and other than that just make the day really special at home with the fam, so we aren't doing a party for our Luke this year. Sorry, I'm no help.
August 19th, 2010, 08:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Melinda, that sounds awesome! I miss theme parties =(

August 19th, 2010, 08:19 PM
Mom of 2 boys!
Well we had our son's 3rd birthday party back in may. It was Dinosaur themed So he had all the decorations and the dinosaur cake.

We just had hotdogs/hamburgers and chips with capri suns for the food. We had it at a local place that has an indoor playground...which thank goodness it was indoor..since it rained like crazy that day.

They all just came in and played for a while..then we did cake and ate..then presents and played some more..that was it My son had a blast!!

and definitely a pinata!!

August 19th, 2010, 09:01 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
I have to say I find some pinatas really disturbing. I mean, you do a Sesame Street Themed party because your kid likes Sesame Street, and then tell him to.. beat Cookie Monster with a bat..? What? lol My pinata will not be a replica of a beloved character or living thing. No way is my kid beating the stuffing out of a turtle, either! Poor little pinata!

I'm kind of torn between a Luau and Mickey Mouse. Luke adores Mickey Mouse these days (Mickey taught him to count to 10), and so does lauren. however, he is also in love with Lilo and Stitch, which is why I was considering a Luau, though I can't find any specifically Lilo and Stitch party themes out there these days.

Thoughts?
August 19th, 2010, 10:59 PM
Veteran
My friend had a great birthday for her 3 year old twins. She rented this community play area for a few hours and all the kids brought books and they all left with a book.

The kids all played, then they all had a cupcake, then they all picked out a book grabbed a goodie bag and was out the door. Perfect imo
August 20th, 2010, 08:52 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
I'm not usually a big expensive party kind of gal, but Luke has one cousin who is currently living here but is moving (reluctantly) at the end of September, so it's kind of a birthday for Luke and going away party for his cousin wrapped into one super fun (hopefully) party.

Of course when I ask Luke what he wants for his birthday his only answer is cake.
August 20th, 2010, 09:00 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Oriental Trading Marketing

Have you visited orientaltrading.com? I've ordered from there before, lots of cool stuff.

August 20th, 2010, 09:31 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
Oooo.. thanks!
August 20th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
You're welcome! I think they're really reasonably priced too.

August 20th, 2010, 03:00 PM
Hey... Where's Perry?'s Avatar Darnit face
Run around naked!!!
August 20th, 2010, 05:59 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
Are plastic or paper cups more environmentally friendly?
August 20th, 2010, 06:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hm. I'm going to say the harder plastic ones because we always washed them out really well or put them into the dishwasher on a gentle setting so we could reuse them. They still don't last long, but they last longer than paper cups.

August 21st, 2010, 08:07 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
I'm not entirely sure I'd reuse them, especially since there's like 50 of them.
August 22nd, 2010, 02:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We do the pull string pinatas. There is no hitting involved. I do the theme parties also, and do games that go with the theme. We did Kaia's yesterday and it was a Bee theme and I just did some Bee theme games and the cake was a Bee theme. I also did ours at dinner time and cooked hot dogs and hamburgers for everyone.
Proud Christian, Cloth diapering, Baby Wearing, Signing, Select vaxing, ERF, Extended Harnessing, attempted breast feeding mama to Cadence 2/01/02 Courtney 11/26/03 Kason 4/02/07 and Kaia 8/23/09And very proud Army wife to Smitty.

August 22nd, 2010, 04:57 PM
mayandsofiasmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What the heck is a pull string pinata?? I live in San Diego so everyone does the traditional pinata and I love it! I agree that hitting a beloved character is disturbing, so I won't get a character one

Sofia even goes around singing the pinata song in Spanish- which she learned at school and I have no clue what all she is saying! I only know the first 3 words: Tale, tale, tale (pronounced Ta-lei)

Bounce houses are always SO fun!

August 23rd, 2010, 10:04 AM
Mega Super Mommy
The kids each get a string that is on the bottom of the pinata and pull. Only one of the strings opens the pinata though. No swinging of objects, and no beloved characters getting hurt.
Proud Christian, Cloth diapering, Baby Wearing, Signing, Select vaxing, ERF, Extended Harnessing, attempted breast feeding mama to Cadence 2/01/02 Courtney 11/26/03 Kason 4/02/07 and Kaia 8/23/09And very proud Army wife to Smitty.

August 23rd, 2010, 06:08 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
Are goody bags a must? Is it a faux pas to not have them, or can I skip it? I have a hard time thinking any parent would be upset that they don't get cheap plastic toys and treats to deal with at home, but I don't want to break some kind of party etiquette. What do you even put in goody bags?

And what do I put in a pinata for 1-3 year olds? There's a lot of candy they can't even safely eat!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search