Bfing know-it-all's help me!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To General Chat LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 28th, 2010, 12:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't know why I've been fretting over this lately, but it's something I've been thinking about a lot. I'm going to be breastfeeding this baby, and I have some questions. I know there's a breastfeeding board here, but I can't exactly find the answers that I'm looking for there.

Is it legal for a flight attendant to kick me off an airplane for not covering up/being 'modest'?
Can managers from a privately owned restaurant tell me to leave for breastfeeding?

I guess my real question is, is it ever legal ANYWHERE for someone to tell me I have to leave?

I guess it might be a silly question, but I don't know the answers and if I'm ever presented with those situations, I want to know my rights and not look dumb.

Help?

August 28th, 2010, 02:46 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
Only certain states have laws that state that a breastfeeding mom is legally able to breastfeed wherever she legally is allowed to be. Not all states have that law, some have breastfeeding laws but they aren't as nice as that one. Some laws state you can't be arrested for breastfeeding but that may be the only law on the books. So no, you aren't necessarily guaranteed the right to breastfeed - however, when a mom is kicked out for breastfeeding and she takes it to the internet the breastfeeding community rally's pretty quickly. It's not good for a business to not be pro-breastfeeding.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
August 28th, 2010, 03:35 PM
KimberlyD0
depends on your state

In Canada its illigal to ask someone to leave or to cover up while NIP but I know not all states have laws protecting BF moms rights as of yet.
August 28th, 2010, 07:34 PM
foxfire_ga79
I don't know where you live so I'll just link you this page:

LLLI | Resources

Just scroll down to where it says "Law" and choose US or international.

And here's the map for the US.

http://www.mothering.com/sites/resources/laws.pdf

If that's not enough, keep searching through the La Leche League site, or even check out kellymom.com
Those are the goddesses of the boobs.
August 28th, 2010, 07:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thank you all!!!!! I want to print and laminate the law portion so if someone says something to me I can be like, "SEE?!?! Now back off buddy!"

I'm only like 7-9 weeks along and I'm already fretting over this stuff. I just want to be prepared.

August 29th, 2010, 12:25 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe'sMommy View Post
Thank you all!!!!! I want to print and laminate the law portion so if someone says something to me I can be like, "SEE?!?! Now back off buddy!"

I'm only like 7-9 weeks along and I'm already fretting over this stuff. I just want to be prepared.
My best advice is to stand strong. If it's just some random person that says it to you, just keep your head high and let it be (even though it might be hard). If it's a business, contact your local LLL and make a stink about it. I am the biggest pro nursing in public advocates I know, and anyone that would dare tell me to stop nursing would get shut down real quick. But actual laws I dont know much about. I wish there was no laws against it, makes me mad that there are
August 30th, 2010, 06:35 PM
foxfire_ga79
Actually, you can buy breastfeeding cards online instead of making them yourself....

Breastfeeding State Law Cards Code Name: Mama

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search