for those of you with dogs...

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To General Chat LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 2nd, 2010, 06:12 PM
Jarheadwed's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How did your dogs handle it when the baby started crawling? Dexter is pretty close, and I am nervous about the dogs. They mostly ignore him now, but they also don't have him moving after them. Any advice?

September 2nd, 2010, 06:54 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
My dogs are ridiculously gentle, and have always either ignored the kids, or ran away.

My advice is to just make sure the dogs have a place that Dexter can't go, so they always have a safe place to go if he starts to overwhelm them. Also, try not to let him chase them anyways. The dogs will learn to respect Dexter's personal space long before he'll learn to respect theirs.
September 2nd, 2010, 07:04 PM
foxfire_ga79
Ditto Kes. I wouldn't let a baby chase a dog or pester it. All of my dogs have either ignored the babies or gotten up and left, but I don't allow much interaction at this age.
September 2nd, 2010, 08:07 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
My dogs either completely avoid the babies (going so far as to leave the room) or couldn't care less when the baby sits on their head. Depends on how well that particular dog adjusts to noise. The dogs I have now don't care what the kids do, but they still have a safe place just in case something changes somewhere.
September 2nd, 2010, 08:51 PM
Jarheadwed's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Were they ever freaked out at first when the baby started crawling?

September 2nd, 2010, 09:00 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
one of my dogs is pretty skittish, and was a little weirded out when the baby would crawl to him. He'd look at me sideways, almost like asking permission to react, and when I told him to go on he'd get up and leave. Eventually he got less skittish, but he's still not overly fond of the kids climbing on him (he lets them, but doesn't invite it like the other dog does). It was never a huge problem in our house.

Try to encourage your dogs to interact with the baby while you're in control of the situation. Hold Dexter and control his hand while he pats the dog gently, and praise the dog. You want contact with Dexter to be a good thing, not something to be freaked out by or shy away from.
September 3rd, 2010, 10:07 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Our dog and Jacob were babies together so she didn't really pay much attention to him crawling. This is what she did when he started climbing all over her.

eta...they were both probably around 18 months to two years old at this time.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural

Last edited by Tammyjh; September 3rd, 2010 at 12:57 PM.
September 3rd, 2010, 11:47 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
Since we're sharing!

(please pardon the messy room, this was a long time ago, lol)
September 3rd, 2010, 05:46 PM
WineKeepsMeSane's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My dogs weren't freaked out by Mackenzie crawling at all. They tended to stay out of reach, and were amazingly careful not to step on her.

September 3rd, 2010, 06:22 PM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
^ Our older Husky has this weird habit of not being willing to step on anything, even a piece of paper. She'll go out of her way to not step on anything but the floor lol

Depends on the age of the dog, I guess. We only had the older dog when Jules was crawling, and she was pretty mellow by then, about 4 years old. Didn't seem to phase her - she's always been "my" dog - follows me around and such, even now, so she pretty much ignored Julia. She's always been really patient with Julia too. Now then we got the puppy and holy cow, I wouldn't let her around anyone younger than 5 or 6. She's just really excitable.
September 3rd, 2010, 07:31 PM
**Badfish**'s Avatar Worth Saving
Mine did pretty well, and he has some issues from past trauma. He's given a few warning growls, which were immediately corrected, and that's been our most serious problem.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search