Need a vegan recipe...

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To General Chat LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 2nd, 2010, 07:04 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
So, I want to do something nice for my sister, because I usually don't. I was going to cook her something, but she is vegan and I don't know what's good. So, you vegetarian/vegan types.. any super amazing recipes you can throw at me that have ingredients I can get at a regular old grocery store?
September 2nd, 2010, 08:17 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
She's VEGAN right? I don't want to give you any recipes with dairy or cheese (like a vegetarian lasagna)

Does she eat Quorn? It's a fake meat, but it's not soy for those that either avoid the soy hormones or want a different taste and texture

Seitan is a cheap wheat protein and often comes flavored.

At Walmart, Morningstar makes chick'n patties, "beef" patties and beef sausage and crumbles. Fake soy meatballs are actually REALLY yummy from Walmart. So spaghetti is cheap and quick and throw in those meatballs, and you get protein.

Veggie Stir Fries (Rice and Veggies) super cheap. White or Brown Rice, with bags of frozen mixed veggies. You can add Quorn in the shape of chicken chunks, or Seitan.

20 Cheap Vegan Meals that Don't Suck

You can make FAKE chili (since it has beans it's of course fake). Tomato sauce, beans, some fake Morningstar meat crumbles
Quote:
5. Vegetarian Chili

Everybody likes chili. It’s easy to make, it’s ridiculously cheap (beans and tomatoes), and it’s so hearty no one will even miss it without the ground beef, though you can add seitan for texture. Wash it down with a cold beer.
Fake Meat Patties and some Oven Fries for a "burger and fries" night

Mexican food is super easy. Tortillas, refried beans (ENSURE they contain no animal lard and will be marked Vegetarian), rice, mexican spices and you can make anything. NO cheese if she's vegan, but you guys can add the cheese to your own taco's

Easy Vegetarian Taco Salad

Feel free to add cheese or sour cream if vegetarians are dining. Vegans may add guacamole or any vegan topping on hand.

* Heat 2 cans drained black beans, 1 jar of salsa, and 1 small package of frozen corn in a skillet or pot.
* Add diced peppers of any type if desired.
* Cook until heated through.
* Pour over crushed tortilla chips onto each plate.
* Top with fresh veggies such as lettuce, tomatoes, or avocado.
* These can also be made into walking tacos by pouring the mixture into an individual sized bag of crushed tortilla chips. Eat with a spoon.

This is pretty much what we eat in the week

September 2nd, 2010, 08:33 PM
rose198172's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You could also make a homemade pizza with no cheese on it... lots of veggies. I have a vegan friend who eats stuff like that all the time. The pizza crust recipe on the back of my yeast packet only has water and oil - no milk or eggs. So.. that's an idea.

September 2nd, 2010, 09:15 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
Thanks! And yes, Lauren - she's vegan. No dairy or eggs, no fish. She does eat Soy. her vegan platform is based solely on animal cruelty. She actually DOES eat dairy and eggs when they come from the farm owned by people she knows who treat their animals nicely. She's against the treatment of food animals, not against eating animals. But I don't know her farm friends (that apparently aren't friends anymore - not really sure there, but I feel bad for her losing friends while is why I wanted to do something nice), so I can't get hold of those eggs or milk.
September 2nd, 2010, 09:34 PM
JustJodes's Avatar Valar Morghulis
If you are looking for a dessert, I have a recipe for by far the best chocolate cake I've ever eaten and it's from a vegan cookbook

And ditto Lauren about the seitan, I have a recipe for stroganoff that is very good. Another option to make pretend meat is tempeh, I love it as taco meat or ground beef substitute.

'Not today.'”

September 4th, 2010, 07:47 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
What type of bean goes into chili?
September 5th, 2010, 08:41 PM
I swear to God NO beans go in Chili. Except for when I support a fellow non animal eater. So what I'd use, if I were to ever do it, which I haven't, is to use canned Ranch Style Beans, Red Beans and some black beans. Just pop open 3-4 cans, dump in a big huge can of Tomato Sauce (the cheap canned kind) and grab a pack of Chili Spices.

I'm not an onion eater, cause I HATE the texture and crunch, but I do use either Cream of Onion to make it thicker, or just onion salt. Throw in some mushrooms if that sounds good to you. Then a bag of MorningStar Meat crumbles

You can get the Chili spice pack for like $.50 or something in Walmart- it's in a whole bunch of packs of like gravy mix and other mixes. I get the mild kind and add chili powder

I gotta say that my husband finds store bought Tempeh to be the most palatable. It has the texture of mashed rice and it just seems easier for him to stomach

September 6th, 2010, 05:48 PM
Veteran
lmao beans in chili! Beans in chili!
September 7th, 2010, 06:13 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
I was looking for "kidney beans" as the answer.

My chili recipe comes from a Texan. He told me it was blasphemous to make a) meatless chili, and b) to put beans in it. But he did tell me how much chili powder, garlic, onion, and... something else. I wrote it down, lol. And I have all these spices because he already made chili at my house once. come to think of it.. almost all the spices in my cupboard are because he cooked at my house and demanded them. Interesting.
September 7th, 2010, 04:37 PM
See at least he knows what he's talking about!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search