Is this reasonable?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To General Chat LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 5th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I've stated before that I want my kids to be in some kind of after school activity... last year Lily did TaeKwonDo, and she wants to learn an instrument now. I'm looking into piano lessons for her, as well as art because she likes art as well.

Well she was sent home with information on the after school activities, and this year they are offering spanish classes. I think that would be great for Lily, and it would benefit her in the long run to be bilingual. I wish I stuck with my spanish classes, I know minimal conversational spanish, it would help my career greatly to be bilingual.

Anyways, I looked at the price of the program and was shocked. I'm not sure if I am being unreasonable or if this really is a lot for a before school program in elementary school.

The class is twice a week, from 8-845 so right before school starts at 850. It's on site at her school, and runs from September to March. There are 39 meetings according to the schedule. It says spanish is introduced through songs, games, stories, and other interactive activities. It costs 310 for the first student, 260 for the second, and 235 for the third. I understand they meet a lot and the benefits are great... but holy crap, to me that is a lot to pay up front. There isn't any information on the sheet we were handed out, but it seems as if there are scholarship possibilities from their website. Nothing on her registration form says that, so unless parents searched for it on their site they wouldn't know about it.

I think this would be great for Lily, but there is no way I could pay all of that up front. I think more parents would be apt to pay if you could do it in installments (which again, I see no option of from what we were given.)

Am I just unreasonable, or is that an okay price for kids in a k-6 school?
September 5th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
That's really expensive! But they have to account for the price of all the activities they're going to be doing, food if it needs to be provided, paying for the teacher to be there, paying for the games and supplies, etc. I'm sure there's a lot of other expenses to that I'm not thinking of.

I would talk to the person coordinating the program and ask about payment options. I'm sure they have some.

September 5th, 2010, 07:24 PM
foxfire_ga79
That sounds expensive to me. Have you thought about getting the Muzzy videos to teach kids a language? I've heard good things about that and plan to get it. It's on my "eventually" list.
And for an adult to learn a language pretty quick, there's a CD program by a guy named Michel Thomas that is AMAZING.
September 5th, 2010, 07:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'll have to look into Muzzy, that's one program I never really looked into but it's been around for ages so I'm sure the reputation is good. Heck, I could do it with her at home, that's a good idea, lol. I really need to expand my Spanish knowledge.

I'm sure lots of cost goes into the program, but jeeeze, that just seems like so much for kids her age. I'm going to look into their scholarship program, they ask about free and reduced lunch status, which they say is their biggest factor to determine scholarships. We have applied but not sure if we have been approved, so I'll have to call on Tuesday and see if she's been approved. I'd like her to learn spanish... but not for that much money, lol.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search