I'd like input on something.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To General Chat LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 19th, 2010, 06:00 PM
MissTorrieIfYou'reNasty's Avatar Co-Host of Heated Debates
Abortion Debate- Last post, October 8th.

Religious Debate- Last post- September 21st.

Breastfeeding/Formula Feeding debate- Last Post-September 11th.

We're a cluttered, cluttered board, and I think that may be time to streamline. Is there any reason we can't debate about abortion, religion, and breastfeeding on the main board? It seems silly to have a breastfeeding/abortion/religious sub-forum when all too often we end up in those discussions as a spin off in the main forum. Circumcision and politics we can't even debate anymore. I don't see any reason those should be up there cluttering the board too. The number one thing I hear from new members about this board is that it's "scary" or "intimidating". I'm trying to mitigate that a bit and get new blood in. I think if they see friendlier "community" sub-forums up top instead of all kinds of intimidating categories that would go a long way. I'm not sure that Rachel would be ok with my idea, I haven't asked her. I wanted to get ya'll's opinion first.

Should we do away with all these little used categories and do all of our debating on the main forum? We'll need to descriptively label our posts, of course. What say you guys?

"I love mankind, it's people I can't stand."
October 19th, 2010, 06:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm down with that.

October 19th, 2010, 06:37 PM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
Works for me, and if you could get the ban off of politics, I'd be even game-er.
October 19th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Poncho06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't see why not, so long as it's noted VERY clear in the title so people know before going in and reading. I tend to forget to check those areas.

October 19th, 2010, 06:54 PM
Hey... Where's Perry?'s Avatar Darnit face
Sure... as long as we can get naked while we debate circumcision and stuff.
October 19th, 2010, 06:56 PM
smsturner's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
strip it down baby

I never knew until that moment how badly it could hurt to lose something you never really had. - Missed Miscarriage at 10 weeks - 3/26
October 19th, 2010, 08:30 PM
Jintana's Avatar Dragoness
I'm in favor of streamlining and making the interface more user-friendly. Not sure that'll help with being scared, depending

October 19th, 2010, 09:47 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar I'm climbin' in yo window
YES!!

October 20th, 2010, 05:34 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thumbs up from me

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
October 20th, 2010, 09:28 AM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
Yes!

October 20th, 2010, 10:03 AM
As per Rachel, we're free to delete the subforums. Since we're in agreeance on that matter, I'll go ahead and put in the request to delete them, with the exception of the Abortion subforum, which is probably best left where it is. The status-quo works ok there now and Rachel would really prefer to keep abortion debate off the main forum.

Another issue is that I went ahead and asked Rachel if we can open up Circumcision and Political subjects and the mods said it was fine, if we create a group for them. I'm not well-versed on exactly how those groups work so I need to get familiar with them. We're going to need two members who are willing to "mod" those groups and enforce the guidelines. Rachel would also like to see us hammer out some proposed guidelines for those groups before we create them.

What do you guys think? Would you like to re-open those two subjects based on those provisions?

Last edited by MissTorrieIfYou'reNasty; October 20th, 2010 at 10:09 AM.
October 20th, 2010, 10:37 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Yeah, I think we're big girls and can handle opening up those topics again. There would be a lot more traffic and topics I think if they were re-opened.

October 20th, 2010, 03:26 PM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
A group? They mean another area that people have to be invited to and not seen on the main board?

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
October 20th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
^^ What she said.

October 20th, 2010, 05:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to melkissa2004 Send a message via Yahoo to melkissa2004
I'm pretty sure groups are open to everyone. It's not invite only. It's just like the message boards except self moderated and set up a bit differently.

October 21st, 2010, 04:05 AM
smsturner's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think that sounds good. I would be interested in being in the political debate group.

I never knew until that moment how badly it could hurt to lose something you never really had. - Missed Miscarriage at 10 weeks - 3/26
October 23rd, 2010, 08:34 AM
*Leslie*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to *Leslie* Send a message via Yahoo to *Leslie*
Really anticipating watching this play out. I'm not real familiar with the "group" thing, but I'm wondering how far the "self-moderation" goes. Do the mods still step in if things get bad? Does it take more for them to come around? How far is too far? Would someone report the post/poster to the member host, and they decide what to do?
Just some questions that popped into my head when I read this.

October 25th, 2010, 11:23 AM
SweetSimpleThings's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I know I'm not here much these days but I'm just curious to know if all the threads in breastfeeding and the other deleted forums still exist (like they got moved over to the main forum, but still in date order) or if they got deleted when the subforum did? There were some interesting threads I was involved in in the BF debates and it's interesting to go back and read them from time to time, and see how my opinions/stances have changed on certain things.

October 25th, 2010, 11:42 AM
Tersh's Avatar DD nurses her baby too!
I want to see the circ and politics open up again, and I'd even offer to mod the circ one, if needed.

Thank you to *~Joni~* for my beautiful siggy!!

October 26th, 2010, 12:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSimpleThings View Post
I know I'm not here much these days but I'm just curious to know if all the threads in breastfeeding and the other deleted forums still exist (like they got moved over to the main forum, but still in date order) or if they got deleted when the subforum did? There were some interesting threads I was involved in in the BF debates and it's interesting to go back and read them from time to time, and see how my opinions/stances have changed on certain things.
I believe they still exist in the database if you search a poster's name or subject in the search field.

Sorry I haven't been on top of what to do with these groups. I have a couple of volunteers to create them. I'm wondering if I should wait until i get a second co-host.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search