Log In Sign Up

Would you ask?


Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To General Chat LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #1  
December 10th, 2010, 07:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,090
At Lily's school, her teacher uses behavior cards. They have 2 sets of cards for each student that stays on their desk.

Every day a kid starts on the green side, which is "Everything is all good, I'm making the right choices!" If they do something wrong, they have to turn the card over to yellow, which is "Hey, I need to be careful and slow down because my choices aren't right." If they continue to make bad choices, they pull out the other card that has orange. Which is "If I don't stop misbehaving, I'll get a phone call home." If they continue, it's onto the red card which means they get a phone call home or sent to the office (phone call happens no matter what once it's on red).

At the end of the week they have a slip of paper sent home with the colors they ended up with at the end of the day. Today I get a paper back that says Lily got to yellow on Wednesday. I told her I wasn't mad, she said she was talking in class and was asked to go to yellow with no warning. Usually they get a warning. Well she has always had green, so I said that it's a little mistake but I didn't want to see her in trouble again. She's a first grader, kids talk, oh well.

But then I started to think... she wasn't even in school on Wednesday. She had two teeth pulled on Monday, and Tuesday and Wednesday she was still pretty sore and not really able to eat school food. So now I'm wondering, why was she on yellow on Wednesday? I asked her if she got a yellow on Monday, she said no. I asked about today and yesterday (which was only a half day) and she said no. She had a sub on Monday and no one got their cards turned over.

So, would you ask your kids teacher what is going on if they are getting their behavior card back with yellow, when they weren't even there? It's not a huge deal at all, but I would kind of want my kids teacher to be a little bit more observant of what she puts on their weekly papers.

So do you think that this is something you would ask, or is it minor enough to let it go unless it happens again?
__________________
HTML Code:
<a href="http://www.viravent.com/8/1085"><img src="http://www.viravent.com/8/1085/cntdwn.png"/></a>
Reply With Quote
  #2  
December 10th, 2010, 07:26 PM
fluffycheeks's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,207
No, I wouldn't ask. We do the red/yellow/green at my school too, and I don't think it means much unless your kid is always getting yellows and reds. Who knows, maybe the class even had a sub on Wednesday, and the sub accidentally wrote down a yellow for your daughter or something. It's not like their color of the day is recorded in their permanent record or something.

I'm a little confused though - your daughter remembers getting a yellow, so she was obviously there for it. Maybe the teacher just wrote down yellow on the wrong day, and she reallygot it on another day this week.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
December 10th, 2010, 08:10 PM
TheMrs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 0
I do the green/yellow/red as well...and purple if they are caught doing something exceptional. Then they get to pick something out of the treasure box..woo woo.

I would ask. It was probably some how a mistake, but it lets the teacher know you are actually reading the papers that are sent home and have an interest in your child's education. I have moved kids to yellow for talking before. If I have to ask a child repeatedly (not just a couple times, but the number of times that make you want to rip your hair out) to stop talking I think it's fair. I also moved students to yellow when I taught 1st grade if they were talking during a test.
__________________



Reply With Quote
  #4  
December 10th, 2010, 08:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Costanza View Post
No, I wouldn't ask. We do the red/yellow/green at my school too, and I don't think it means much unless your kid is always getting yellows and reds. Who knows, maybe the class even had a sub on Wednesday, and the sub accidentally wrote down a yellow for your daughter or something. It's not like their color of the day is recorded in their permanent record or something.

I'm a little confused though - your daughter remembers getting a yellow, so she was obviously there for it. Maybe the teacher just wrote down yellow on the wrong day, and she reallygot it on another day this week.
I think she's confused though. We were asking her and she said she had no warnings, and was talking to her friend. We told her she didn't go to school Wednesday, and she was adamant that she didn't get the yellow card today or yesterday. So I have no idea if she is confused, but she was clear that nothing happened today or yesterday, the only days she could have gotten the card (and both today and yesterday were marked as green). So I dunno **shrugs**
__________________
HTML Code:
<a href="http://www.viravent.com/8/1085"><img src="http://www.viravent.com/8/1085/cntdwn.png"/></a>
Reply With Quote
  #5  
December 10th, 2010, 08:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMrs View Post
I do the green/yellow/red as well...and purple if they are caught doing something exceptional. Then they get to pick something out of the treasure box..woo woo.

I would ask. It was probably some how a mistake, but it lets the teacher know you are actually reading the papers that are sent home and have an interest in your child's education. I have moved kids to yellow for talking before. If I have to ask a child repeatedly (not just a couple times, but the number of times that make you want to rip your hair out) to stop talking I think it's fair. I also moved students to yellow when I taught 1st grade if they were talking during a test.
Oh yeah, I keep in contact with her teacher so she knows I absolutely go over what is sent home.

This may or may not change anyones thoughts... but her teacher is gone a lot. Like, at least once a week. I have never had a teacher in my own schooling gone as much as her teacher is. She really is a good teacher, but she is slow to respond to some of my questions (even when they are sent home on the parent/teacher discussion page). At her conference her teacher told me she wasn't worried about Lily's academics at all and she was quite above the entire class in subjects, and was going to attempt to get her even higher, even if it means more individual work. She has done that, but on her report card she had 6 2's (out of a scale of 1-4) and out of I think 32 standards. They were mainly due to her letters and numbers being backwards, when she had told me not to worry about dyslexia or dyscalculia at her age. I was a bit ticked that it had messed with her grade and how it was "age appropriate" but she got 2's. She only got 3's and 4's last year, with 90% of them 4's. So getting 2's does concern me. So it's kind of touch and go with her... she is great with Lily and has sent home reading that finally challenges her, but specific concerns I bring up I am told are fine, and they aren't exactly great. She just always seems to be gone or leaves school half the day, so it just makes me scratch my head.

So I guess this coupled with her getting a yellow on a day she was absent just makes me kind of wonder a little, ya know? I may be the over attentive parent, but when it comes to school I don't let things slide.

So I dunno. I hope my ranting doesn't make me seem like I don't like this teacher, because I do. She is very young, graduated school way early, she has her head on straight. She responds to the kids well, they all like her. There are just certain things I wish she was more attentive about. I forgot I once called her voicemail about a class party she asked me to coordinate, and I called her back and never got a response, until 3 days later in a note sent home. Last year her teacher would call me on their next break in school or immediately after school ended. It's just different than what her teacher was last year, ya know? She doesn't seem as attentive to the little things that add up.
__________________
HTML Code:
<a href="http://www.viravent.com/8/1085"><img src="http://www.viravent.com/8/1085/cntdwn.png"/></a>
Reply With Quote
  #6  
December 11th, 2010, 08:08 AM
TheMrs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 0
I was a lot like this my first year. I just didn't realize the importance of parent/teacher communication and was a bit flighty. I was a good teacher in all other aspects, but I was obviously a new teacher. The teacher should respond much sooner. We do get busy and sometimes it is difficult to balance all we have to do, but as a general rule of thumb teachers should respond within 24 hours. Is it possible this note was from last week?
__________________



Reply With Quote
  #7  
December 11th, 2010, 09:38 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMrs View Post
I was a lot like this my first year. I just didn't realize the importance of parent/teacher communication and was a bit flighty. I was a good teacher in all other aspects, but I was obviously a new teacher. The teacher should respond much sooner. We do get busy and sometimes it is difficult to balance all we have to do, but as a general rule of thumb teachers should respond within 24 hours. Is it possible this note was from last week?
Nope, she gets a report thing every week, and I got last weeks. Weird.

It could be her not knowing the importance of communication, as she's fairly new and a pretty young teacher. So she just may not be in that point of her career/life to realize parents want that?!?

Oh yeah I remembered another "oops" of hers, she asked me to coordinate the Halloween party which I did. She had another mom help as well, and she somehow asked both of us a question by forwarding me an email conversation she had with another parent. In that email she was discussing changes to this students IEP and his behavior problems in class. I was all "OOOPS! Um, that wasn't meant for me!" I think it's just a bit flighty with her trying to figure out how to appropriately respond with parents?
__________________
HTML Code:
<a href="http://www.viravent.com/8/1085"><img src="http://www.viravent.com/8/1085/cntdwn.png"/></a>
Reply With Quote
  #8  
December 11th, 2010, 01:12 PM
TheMrs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Froggy View Post
Nope, she gets a report thing every week, and I got last weeks. Weird.

It could be her not knowing the importance of communication, as she's fairly new and a pretty young teacher. So she just may not be in that point of her career/life to realize parents want that?!?

Oh yeah I remembered another "oops" of hers, she asked me to coordinate the Halloween party which I did. She had another mom help as well, and she somehow asked both of us a question by forwarding me an email conversation she had with another parent. In that email she was discussing changes to this students IEP and his behavior problems in class. I was all "OOOPS! Um, that wasn't meant for me!" I think it's just a bit flighty with her trying to figure out how to appropriately respond with parents?
Ooo, that's a big one! I don't even share IEP info with my coworkers. This is really flighty. Has anything been said to her about it? It's one think to be a bit flighty, but sharing IEP info (even on accident) could cause some big time problems for her.
__________________



Reply With Quote
  #9  
December 11th, 2010, 02:52 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMrs View Post
Ooo, that's a big one! I don't even share IEP info with my coworkers. This is really flighty. Has anything been said to her about it? It's one think to be a bit flighty, but sharing IEP info (even on accident) could cause some big time problems for her.
I didn't say anything, not sure if the Mom did. I'm a SPED minor and certainly wouldn't go gossiping about that to anyone else, so while I noticed it I didn't read the rest of the email and just went forward as if I didn't read anything. Not my kid, not my business. I know that you could get in pretty big trouble for sharing IEP info though. We are able to talk about kids in our observation classes, and I was allowed to discuss an IEP meeting I observed in class but couldn't use any identifying details. But our teacher was a huge stickler on making sure we respected the kids privacy and rights.
__________________
HTML Code:
<a href="http://www.viravent.com/8/1085"><img src="http://www.viravent.com/8/1085/cntdwn.png"/></a>
Reply With Quote
  #10  
December 16th, 2010, 10:05 AM
Super Mommy
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 516
hi! just wondering why teacher doesn't send home a daily report? or only send a report home if child is not on green or yellow...... I know it isn't your policy but just curious if this bothered you or you could bring up to teacher.... my stepson's school used color system as well and he gets a little slip of paper with the color he ended up on each day..... kind of hard to figure out what is going on for kid to have a yellow, orange or red day when it happened days before you actually find out! weird...... My stepson barely remembers what happened one day earlier let alone 3 or four days! I would mention to teacher the discrepancy with you daughter not being there because it may encourage her to look at her system and make it more accurate/effective... Good luck!
__________________
DS 7
DS 2
Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:50 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0