Planning a benefit

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To General Chat LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 19th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Cereal Killer's Avatar I'm climbin' in yo window
I am organizing a benefit for my best friend of close to twenty years. She has been diagnosed with ALS (aka Lou Gehrig's disease). For those unfamiliar with this disease:
Quote:
Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), often referred to as "Lou Gehrig's Disease," is a progressive neurodegenerative disease that affects nerve cells in the brain and the spinal cord. Motor neurons reach from the brain to the spinal cord and from the spinal cord to the muscles throughout the body. The progressive degeneration of the motor neurons in ALS eventually leads to their death. When the motor neurons die, the ability of the brain to initiate and control muscle movement is lost. With voluntary muscle action progressively affected, patients in the later stages of the disease may become totally paralyzed.

Quote:
As motor neurons degenerate, they can no longer send impulses to the muscle fibers that normally result in muscle movement. Early symptoms of ALS often include increasing muscle weakness, especially involving the arms and legs, speech, swallowing or breathing. When muscles no longer receive the messages from the motor neurons that they require to function, the muscles begin to atrophy (become smaller). Limbs begin to look "thinner" as muscle tissue atrophies.
There is no cure and the average life span of people with ALS is 3-4 years from the onset of symptoms. The disease is progressive and "M"s progression seems to so rapid. At this point she can barely walk, she can't wash or brush her own hair (because she can't lift her arms that high) and she cannot hold her 3 month old son without assistance.

I am planning a benefit for her, to be held in June, to help offset the enormous costs associated with living with this disease. I am organizing a silent auction as part of the benefit and need items to auction. If anyone has a product that they would be willing to donate for the auction, I would be eternally grateful. The only thing I can offer in return is a thank you and advertising your product website/etsy or ebay shop, etc). Please PM me if you have an item or items that you could donate. I will need to know what the item is and what the value is, for the start bid price.

If you have read all of this, thank you.

April 19th, 2011, 11:57 AM
foxfire_ga79
I'm selling all of my Carnival Glass right now. I'll set aside a piece for you to put on etsy in June that should start bidding somewhere around $20-ish.
April 19th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Thank you! But I would actually need the piece to have at the auction. I will put your etsy link on the auction paper. If you have business cards or flyers, I will place those next to the item as well.

April 19th, 2011, 01:12 PM
foxfire_ga79
I've never used etsy. No cards either, I just used to collect this and recently decided I'm sick of collecting it. lol
Maybe I should just send you a piece of it. Would that be simpler for you?
April 19th, 2011, 07:11 PM
Poncho06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
PM me some info, I have zero talent for creating anything but can send a monetary donation to either help with the costs of the benefit or whatever it's needed for.

I had a friends dad recently pass from ALS and it was horrible, I'm so sorry for your friend as well as you.

April 19th, 2011, 07:19 PM
foxfire_ga79
^^^ That could work for me too, if you're comfy with it. I have a PayPal account.
April 20th, 2011, 12:16 PM
That is awesome. Thanks Rebecca and Jamie. I recently asked her sister in law to set up an account so as soon as I have the information on that, I will pass it along.

I know it is going to get worse, much worse, and that scares me. She is 34 years old and has a new baby and she can't even hold him. Her mother got a wheelchair for her and I am going to talk to a friend of ours, who is handy with tools, to try to construct something that we can hook onto the wheelchair that will allow her to bond with and interact with her son. The prototype in my head is a table type thingy with a bumbo type thingy secured to it...it is an imaginative work in progress.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search