Actually, It WAS A Small Feat

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To General Chat LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 8th, 2011, 08:27 PM
foxfire_ga79
Lots of people say it's no small feat to potty train a kid. Ivy sure made it look easy. I decided a few days ago to give it a try and she's got the hang of it. Only 2 accidents all day today. She only used 2 diapers today, at her nap and when I put her to bed for the night.
I think though that she's "going" more often than she actually needs to. She gets 2 M&M's each time she goes, so it pays to go often. lmao
But the sucky thing is that since she's so tiny, the smallest undies I could find are WAY too big for her. If anybody knows where to find undies for a 22lbs critter, feel free to point me in the right direction!
July 8th, 2011, 08:40 PM
L-SBB's Avatar Bb Cowgirl
wow congrats! She's so petite too - i wish i had suggestions for you on the undies, but Savannah's so big for her age we have opposite issue...that's awesome though that she's caught on so fast!

Savannah thinks her potty is for storing toys & her lovey so far , although she has tried sitting on it a couple times without her diaper....so baby steps...

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
July 8th, 2011, 08:55 PM
foxfire_ga79
What I found most helpful with Ivy was that occasionally over the past year, maybe just once or twice a month, I would hold her over the potty when I knew she would go. Everybody has to pee as soon as they wake up, so that was pretty much a guaranteed time and I praised her for it.
I laughed at the idea of elimination communication at first but I tried it for a little bit and even though I didn't feel like sticking with it I think that's been a huge help.
As soon as Savannah wakes up, get her to the potty. When she goes, tell her what she's doing/did (we say tinkle lol) and be all happy about it. And then forget it for the rest of the day. Only get her to the potty when she's basically guaranteed to go. After a few consecutive days of that is when I started letting Ivy run without a dipe and I'm more and more impressed every day.
How old is Savannah? Ivy's just about to turn 19 months.
July 10th, 2011, 07:41 AM
Keepin' it real!
You won't find any smaller than 2t. Trust me, I checked. Gerber makes the "training" ones which are thick and smaller than regular 2t size underpants.

The WORST thing that I went through with the first 3 kids potty training was finding the size that would work since they were all 2 (or under) when they got done. 2t was all I could find for the girls and OMG for BOYS, I could only find 3/4T (it's like a double size), but they lasted 4ever and I didn't even need plastics! (Of course, they pt themselves!) I think for boys, now, they do have 2t sizes (not that it helps me any, lol) finally.

With my SN son, pt was a nightmare. We did have to find plastics for him, and it's not easy to do so. The undies were too big for him also, but he had such issues with bowels that 1/2 the time, he'd diarrhea (after being medicated, though-not his fault) and the plastics would miss some of it. One day, though, he just woke up able to poop again and potty trained 100% and we have NO nightime accidents! It's crazy because I thought he was a bit old not to be done, but apparently between 3 and 4 is normal for many parents to get the kids completely done.

1 Girl 2011 and 1 Boy 2013. Their family is COMPLETE!

Surrogacy # 3 for new family?: 2014??
July 10th, 2011, 10:10 AM
foxfire_ga79
Yea by the time you count being reliable over night, and able to go themselves and get their clothes on and off, you're looking at somewhere over 3.

Maybe I'll ask my SIL to make some undies. The 2T undies I got her pretty much just fall down on their own if she takes off running. She's so itteh bitteh!!
July 10th, 2011, 10:23 AM
Keepin' it real!
Wow, I guess that is pretty different than my experiences. My little ones could dress/undress (needed occasional help with a button, maybe), wipe (I'd help with non-clean break poopies but they're neat freaks when it comes to that, so it was not something I had to do often), flush, and wash hands and they were completely done by 2 (except my last one). We didn't have night-time issues (except with last one but only at first) but they also didn't drink anything past 7pm either so I think that helps.

I would probably say making them custom-made will be the best fit for ya. My girls were teeny tiny so it definitely was not easy fitting them. I did use safety pins to keep the undies on. lol No matter what, though, it was WAY better than changing diapers or buying them, even! lol

1 Girl 2011 and 1 Boy 2013. Their family is COMPLETE!

Surrogacy # 3 for new family?: 2014??
July 11th, 2011, 08:21 AM
foxfire_ga79
My boys were around 2 1/2 just to be potty trained. I can't remember how my first daughter did with her clothes, but I don't trust kids' wiping jobs so young. Maybe I'm just crazy over protective on that issue but I prefer to supervise hygiene stuff a lot the younger the kid is. My kids are anything but neat freaks. lmao
July 11th, 2011, 02:42 PM
L-SBB's Avatar Bb Cowgirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪♫♪♫MzzPrmDonn♫♪♫♪ View Post
What I found most helpful with Ivy was that occasionally over the past year, maybe just once or twice a month, I would hold her over the potty when I knew she would go. Everybody has to pee as soon as they wake up, so that was pretty much a guaranteed time and I praised her for it.
I laughed at the idea of elimination communication at first but I tried it for a little bit and even though I didn't feel like sticking with it I think that's been a huge help.
As soon as Savannah wakes up, get her to the potty. When she goes, tell her what she's doing/did (we say tinkle lol) and be all happy about it. And then forget it for the rest of the day. Only get her to the potty when she's basically guaranteed to go. After a few consecutive days of that is when I started letting Ivy run without a dipe and I'm more and more impressed every day.
How old is Savannah? Ivy's just about to turn 19 months.
Savannah's just a few weeks older than Ivy - she turned 19 months in last week of June. We'll definitely try putting her on it after she wakes up...that's a great idea, since it's really the only time we can confidently predict her needing to go. She's actually getting really accurate at pointing to her diaper just before she goes, but (so far) not with enough time to get her bottoms & diaper off before she does. Should be quite an adventure for the next many months

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search