Hunger Games vs Twilight

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To General Chat LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 25th, 2012, 03:20 AM
RedRose_xo's Avatar Veteran
I've read both The Hunger Games and Twilight, and while I love both, The Hunger Games wins for me.

I loved Twilight because it was a love story. Granted, I could see the authors flaws in a few places but I still really enjoyed it, and would consider myself to be a big fan.

The Hunger Games wins because of how well it was written. Its about oppression and poverty and overcoming a corrupt government, but has beautiful relationships and likeable characters.

Its hard to put into words. The Hunger Games has a more definite place in my heart, and is my second favourite series after Harry Potter.

As for the movies, I saw THG last night. It was fantastic, close to the book and true to its characters.

I love to paint, and last year I painted my favourite quote from The Hunger Games onto some canvas, framed it, and hung it in my hallway. Might sound a little crazy but its one of my favourite quotes of all time. Its: “Here your dreams are sweet and tomorrow brings them true. Here is the place where I love you.”

Many have likened The Hunger Games to "Battle Royale", a Japanese or Chinese (I can't remember, sorry!) novel published in 2000. I've read the blurb about Battle Royale and while it sounds similar to THG in some aspects, its extremely violent and disturbing and I know for sure its not my kind of book. It might interest you, though
foxfire_ga79 likes this.

Last edited by RedRose_xo; March 25th, 2012 at 03:24 AM.
March 28th, 2012, 06:55 AM
Lex&angels's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I didn't like Twilight much -- it was ok, I have a few issues with it but it just wasn't that great. It wasn't terrible either. If I thought it was terrible I wouldn't have read all of the books. I saw the first movie and I thought it was bad though. Didn't enjoy, at all.

I loved the Hunger Games and I enjoyed the movie. I think it will be bigger than twilight because it appeals to guys, too. Also I think it's just a better series and the movie was a better movie than the twilight ones.

March 28th, 2012, 02:52 PM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Saw HG today and it was really good. I enjoyed it more than Twilight and liked Jennifer Lawrence more than Kristen Stewart as a main character.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
April 5th, 2012, 11:11 AM
foxfire_ga79
Yesterday I read the first chapter of HG and I love it. It's already better than Twilight IMO as far as writing style goes.
April 14th, 2012, 08:33 AM
*Dayna*'s Avatar Aussie Mama
The Twilight books were really good, but I don't really like the movies.

I loved the Hunger Games books -well first two, and I loved the movie.
April 14th, 2012, 11:54 AM
*Jennifer*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am done with all 3 books and well....now what? I need more!
April 14th, 2012, 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jennifer* View Post
I am done with all 3 books and well....now what? I need more!
Did you like the third one?
April 14th, 2012, 02:14 PM
Yes. I did. I liked the 1st one best, then the 3rd, and then the 2nd.
April 14th, 2012, 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jennifer* View Post
Yes. I did. I liked the 1st one best, then the 3rd, and then the 2nd.
You are the only person I have ever heard say that. Everyone I know doesn't really like the 3rd book.
April 14th, 2012, 03:41 PM
foxfire_ga79
I finished up the first book a few days ago and I loved it. Couldn't put it down. Need to get the 2nd one on Wednesday. lol
Tomorrow I'm taking my 9 y/o to see the movie, just me and her. Girls afternoon. So far everyone has told me it's Ok for her age.
HG is definitely the better book. It's a more heartfelt story and the writing style is pretty good.
April 14th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfire_ga79 View Post
I finished up the first book a few days ago and I loved it. Couldn't put it down. Need to get the 2nd one on Wednesday. lol
Tomorrow I'm taking my 9 y/o to see the movie, just me and her. Girls afternoon. So far everyone has told me it's Ok for her age.
HG is definitely the better book. It's a more heartfelt story and the writing style is pretty good.
It's definitely not as blood thirsty as you would think.

I saw six year olds in there.
April 14th, 2012, 06:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Dayna* View Post
You are the only person I have ever heard say that. Everyone I know doesn't really like the 3rd book.

It was the ending that got me.

Last edited by *Jennifer*; April 14th, 2012 at 11:36 PM.
April 15th, 2012, 06:27 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Dayna* View Post
I wasn't a huge fan of the third book. The first and second were really good and the third was just okay. And Jennifer is right, the ending was the best part.

Rebecca, my son is 10 and he loved the movie but I don't think my 6 1/2 year old is ready for it at this point. My 10 and 12 year old like to sit and discuss the whole concept of living in a world like Panem but my little guy just isn't interested in that right now. So, it wasn't that I thought the movie was too graphic or anything. Just a little too deep at this point. Dd and I were both glad we read the book first and agreed that we probably enjoyed the movie more because we "knew" the characters a little better that way. Enjoy it!

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search