What is your birth plan?

Forum: Trying to Conceive Six Months +

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive Six Months + LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 31st, 2012, 12:21 PM
Still Trying for #1
I agree with you, lost. The idea of a c section scares me!

October 31st, 2012, 02:18 PM
FishermansWife4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes, Audrey i totally do.
I mean, it's not the most horrible thing in the world but I'd definitely love to be able to give birth naturally. I really don't like how many needles they stick me with is my main problem. I get amniocintiseses done, plus the hand iv plus the numbing shot to my hand so they can give me the iv, and to top it all off they give me spinals. I usually have quick recovery time, which is a plus and is a blessing though

2013 Mommy
"No freedom til' we're equal. D*mn right I support it." - Macklemore "Same love"
October 31st, 2012, 02:35 PM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm so glad you have quick recoveries! It's a major surgery, so I know some women can be out of commission for 6+ weeks, whereas within 1 day of vaginal birth you can be walking and carrying things and the recovery to 100% is much faster. Some women seem to heal almost as quickly with c-section which I think is great. I feel bad for those it takes longer for, though, especially those who were convinced by doctors they needed a c-section when in reality they didn't That said, I'm glad c-sections can be done when they are truly needed. We're lucky our medical community is advanced enough to do things like that!

In case anyone is worried about c-sections, there is some data here:
http://www.webmd.com/baby/tc/cesarea...-complications

It shows that the risks are very low (and you also have to keep in mind there are risks with vaginal delivery, too) and the recovery time isn't too much longer than a vaginal delivery. Most women I know are proud of their c-sections and say they are great. I only know ONE person who had a bad experience (they accidentally broke her baby's leg during delivery, but there's no way to tell if they would have done the same during a vaginal delivery). After that, though, she gave birth to twins naturally. But most doctors these days do not give vaginal births after c-section and those that do it's on a very particular basis.

Last edited by alittlelost; October 31st, 2012 at 02:53 PM.
October 31st, 2012, 03:14 PM
Nár lagaí Dia do lámh!
I want a natural birth but I'm realistic to all options really. I'm not extremely fired up for one, I just think it would be a nice experience. If I want an epidural at the time I'll get one.
October 31st, 2012, 03:21 PM
Oh, you'll want an epidural when the time comes HAHA. That's why I didn't have my third in the hospital. In fact, I was so tempted in transition to tell them to take me to the hospital so I could get the epidural, except that I knew that was impossible because I was in way too much pain to move. If there was an epidural there, I would have taken it. BUT I'm glad I didn't and that's why I would have a birthing center birth all over again. I've experienced both, and I definitely prefer without meds, because that affected most of my labor. But for those 30 intense pain minutes, I didn't feel that way. If you think you'll just get one if you decide you want one at the time, IMO you should PLAN to get one, because you WILL want one and if you don't get it early enough, it would be too late for them to give it to you.

Childbirth doesn't tickle, but no matter how you do it, it's magical.
October 31st, 2012, 03:24 PM
v6pony's Avatar Veteran
I am most likely going to have to have a c-section. That's been my thought process for several years now. But if I can give birth naturally, I would totally love to.
October 31st, 2012, 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by v6pony View Post
I am most likely going to have to have a c-section. That's been my thought process for several years now. But if I can give birth naturally, I would totally love to.
Why do you think you will most likely need a c-section? Has a doctor told you that? (Not that that's necessarily a good reason to think you would need one; doctors say all kinds of stupid things).Research shows that up to 95% of women CAN deliver naturally! (almost 1/3 end up with c-section, though, a lot of them made to feel like they need one when they DON'T! Doctors and nurses will even "scare" a patient into thinking they need one sometimes).

As for epidural, I think everyone needs to assess the pros and cons of having one versus not having one and go with what they feel most comfortable with. C-sections, however, IMO, should not be given to patients who don't need them. While both epis and c-sections carry higher risks than non-medicated and vaginal births, it's really only unnecessary c-sections I take issue with (because it's unfair to mother and child, especially to the mother who is often tricked into having one or having one for the wrong reasons). But I'm all for NECESSARY c-sections. And when a a doctor tricks a woman into having a c-section she doesn't need, I don't blame the woman, I blame the doctor. If I were a women in those shoes, I'd probably be easily tricked into a c-section too, because they really SCARE you into thinking it. Almost every women who has had a c-section REALLY believes they HAD to have a c-section or they or their child would have died or something horrible would have happened. I believe sometimes that is true I don't believe it's true 1/3 of the time, though, which is how often c-sections generally occur. But all that 1/3 is led to believe the ABSOLUTELY NEEDED a c-section, when in reality only maybe 5-10% of people need one, not 33% of people.
October 31st, 2012, 04:52 PM
One woman I knew who was about 4'9 and 95lbs gave birth to an 11lb boy. I was impressed, but then, our bodies are designed for such things. no matter how tiny we are or how big the baby is, in 95% of cases, the baby CAN come into this world naturally (though the lying on the back position is the worst, which may be why sometimes it seems the woman can't push the baby out, but someone in the business of delivering babies naturally will be able to guide the mother into a position more conducive to pushing.)

We woman are AMAZING. Truly amazing. Our bodies are amazing. Our bodies can do amazing things. I've even heard that your body will know how big of a baby you can push out and your baby will grow to the right size based on that. I wish more doctors would give women a better chance and save the c-sections for those who DO really need it. And if a woman really needs it she shouldn't feel bad about it and if a woman doesn't really need it a doctor shouldn't put her or her child at risk because they want to jump the gun and head for the O.R. before necessary.
mrsb1029 and AIK112018 like this.
October 31st, 2012, 05:15 PM
Still Trying for #1
You are very knowledgeable about child birth and c-sections, with a strong opinion on them. I may have to do research to see what I prefer, but everything you have said has helped me.

October 31st, 2012, 05:36 PM
Allie_SMg's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I want a fully natural (drug free/free to move) birth in a birthing center with a midwife, though I've heard that with Tricare (military insurance), they don't cover that, so I may have to settle for a natural birth at a military hospital or a home birth, but in an apartment, that may be difficult. lol I wouldn't want to bother the neighbors and we are on the second floor. xD It's big enough for baby, but the walls aren't thick enough! hehe
alittlelost likes this.

October 31st, 2012, 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsb1029 View Post
You are very knowledgeable about child birth and c-sections, with a strong opinion on them. I may have to do research to see what I prefer, but everything you have said has helped me.
I studied it a lot with ALL of my pregnancies (because information is always changing). When I get pregnant again (I hope I do!), I'll be looking into everything again.

And I do have strong opinions on this, but that doesn't not change the amount of respect I have for other people's decisions. I just want to inspire people to 1) decide they WANT to put a lot of thought into it and 2) if they do, to understand how much thought is necessary to really be getting all the information they most likely would want to have.

I have messed up in other areas, though. Sometimes I thought I researched everything and made the right decision, only to find out I made the wrong decision because I was believing what I wanted to believe instead of what was really THERE. Through it I learned not to be so quick to think other people are wrong, to respect differing opinions because they might know something i don't or something I haven't learned yet. but at the same time, it taught me to REALLY look into the things I care about because surface information is just not enough when it comes to children. They need us to care more than that. And we won't always get it right, but we can educate ourselves as best as we can and make the best decisions we can based on what we learn.

If there's anything I'm most opinionated about, it's the right to knowledge.
October 31st, 2012, 05:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allie_SMg View Post
I want a fully natural (drug free/free to move) birth in a birthing center with a midwife, though I've heard that with Tricare (military insurance), they don't cover that, so I may have to settle for a natural birth at a military hospital or a home birth, but in an apartment, that may be difficult. lol I wouldn't want to bother the neighbors and we are on the second floor. xD It's big enough for baby, but the walls aren't thick enough! hehe
We didn't have a home birth last time because we were in a condo and I didn't want to bother the neighbors! That's why we went with the birthing center.

Read through all the comments here:
Birthing Center with TriCare - Natural Unmedicated Childbirth - BabyCenter

One mom (mom2felicity, if you only want to read her comment) used a freestanding birthing center on Tricare. It's possible but not always easy to find. That said, it's not too bad, affordability wise, to pay out of pocket for a freestanding birth center birth! I think it's about $3000 to $4,000, and that includes ALL your prenatal care, an ultrasound, post partum care, newborn check ups, the 6 week post partum pap smear, etc. And they usually have you do payment plan, so you pay at each visit or per week. It comes out to like $100 or less a week. For some people that would be too much, so it's better if insurance will cover it, but for those who can pay out of pocket it's really not SO bad if you think about it, especially since it includes all those extra visits and tests and the ultrasound.

also as I understand it, some woman have co-pays and hospital deductables with their insurance that ends up costing them that much or more by the time they've had the baby than just paying for a birth center in full out of pocket. But from what I understand Military care is like medicaid (free) but not as good/not as many options (which pisses me off).
October 31st, 2012, 06:11 PM
Still Trying for #1
I hope I can be as informed as you when that time comes.

The one thing I am nervous about is paying for it since we don't have insurance. Hubby is the only one who works so maybe I could get on Medicaid. Does medicaid pay for birthing centers?

October 31st, 2012, 06:25 PM
Yes, medicaid will pretty much pay for any birth you want, and if you are low income, then you should be able to get medicaid

and you WILL be informed because you WANT to be and that is really what it takes. Also, always look into things for yourself. You could listen to people like me prattle on all day, but you still have to look at the information for yourself and make your own decisions that are right for you and your future baby
mrsb1029 likes this.
October 31st, 2012, 06:36 PM
Still Trying for #1
Thanks so much, lost! Hopefully I can find reliable sources.

October 31st, 2012, 06:48 PM
a lot of the basics will be the same across the board, but if you're ever digging deeper and aren't sure, just try to find sources that wouldn't have a bias. In other words, if they are a Kool-Aid manufactorer, don't take their word alone that Kool-Aid cures cancer.
mrsb1029 likes this.
November 1st, 2012, 02:04 PM
Frozenoj's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I haven't looked into it too much but I know I definitely want either a hospital birth or a birthing center really freaking close to the hospital if there is one. I definitely do not want a home birth. I don't want to be induced unless I absolutely have to be. From what I understand that makes labor so much worse so no thank you if it's only because I'm half a week late or something. I'm iffy on the epidural. I would like to try other things first and am definitely interested in laboring in a tub if that's possible, but if I feel at the time like an epidural is what I want then I'll get one. I want my current obgyn to be my doctor still and I want my DH there with me but I don't think I want anyone else in the room. We will see though. I'm pretty flexible since I have no idea what I'm going to be thinking/feeling at the time.

Thanks Bokkechick for my wonderful siggy!
TTC Blog
10-21-12
November 1st, 2012, 02:22 PM
Still Trying for #1
All I know for sure right now is I don't want to be induced unless it's a medical emergency and I only want my husband in the room with me.

November 1st, 2012, 02:25 PM
v6pony's Avatar Veteran
I've never consulted a doctor about it, nor has one ever told me that. I just think that because I'm tiny ( I know lots of tiny women have natural childbirth). I'm 4'8, 105 lbs. I have no hips. I guess I won't really know what my body is capable of until I'm in that situation.
November 1st, 2012, 03:57 PM
AIK112018's Avatar Elizabeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by v6pony View Post
I'm 4'8, 105 lbs. I have no hips. I guess I won't really know what my body is capable of until I'm in that situation.
I am 5'0" and 110
v6pony likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search