What is your birth plan?

Forum: Trying to Conceive Six Months +

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive Six Months + LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 31st, 2012, 08:38 AM
BabyX's Avatar TTC #2
I know we've all thought about it. I've been dreaming about it all day today. I spent some time this morning reviewing the website for the birth center where I would love to give birth to my baby.

What are your ideas on location of birth, drugs or no drugs, etc?

Thank you JMC1988 for my awesome signature!

Last edited by BabyX; October 31st, 2012 at 09:02 AM.
October 31st, 2012, 08:53 AM
captivate's Avatar Sticky thoughts please...
Same as before. No drugs, the nearest horspital to when I am in labour as I am to be high risk and whatever happens.

I have never known a birth plan to go to plan but its nice to think it might lol.

I have 2 miracles on earth and 5 angels in heaven

October 31st, 2012, 08:54 AM
Still Trying for #1
I honestly have no clue yet. I haven't really looked into many baby things in a few months because we have been trying so long.

October 31st, 2012, 09:22 AM
BabyX's Avatar TTC #2
I guess my impatience is showing again.
I started planning even before we started TTC. I met with a midwife and toured the birthing facility nearest my home. I absolutely fell in love with the place. I'm all about doing a water birth and going all natural this time (I had an epidural with DS). I'm very interested in the hypnobirthing technique, and if I ever get pregnant I will be doing more research.
I haven't worked out a detailed birthing plan, just kind of the skeleton.

October 31st, 2012, 09:25 AM
Still Trying for #1
It's ok. I get impatient too.

I am interested in learning about a water birth, but when I get pregnant then I will look more into that kind of stuff.

October 31st, 2012, 09:27 AM
AIK112018's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
All natural.. Water birth...
I really want to have a home birth... But it all depends on if I can find a doula.
I have had bad experiences with my past pregnancies, and I dont want a doctor. And I dont want to be set up in a hospital, where I am going to be checked constantly and monitored and not be allowed to film my own birth if I choose to do so... And I was only allowed 2 visitors at a time... I dont want rules, I want to be free to labor on my own, how I want, where I want, with who I want. Unless medically needed otherwise.
October 31st, 2012, 09:31 AM
captivate's Avatar Sticky thoughts please...
I wish I could be at home but with high risk you cant here in England and I am totally for my birthing centre ( not hospital room ) with 3 people if I choose to have 3.

You can film and photograph births here.

I have 2 miracles on earth and 5 angels in heaven

October 31st, 2012, 09:31 AM
Heres a link for all you impatient ladies like me...
Birth Plan: Customizable plan for labor
October 31st, 2012, 09:37 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had to HORRIBLE hospital births. Most hospitals call their labor and delivery ward "birthing centers" but they aren't really. They DID NOT honor my birthing plan at EITHER of the two hospitals I went to and both pressured me into get epidurals both times, and both times I had really bad experiences. And these were at the TOP hospitals in my tri-state area for labor and delivery.

During one epidural they tried to give me, they hit nerve and pain was shooting down my leg, and during another I almost died because my blood pressure CRASHED and the epinephrine they gave me to stabilize me wasn't working at first. Obviously I was OK, but it just stunk overall. These were with leading anesthesiologists. Then once I saw the move THE BUSINESS OF BEING BORN it all made sense, and I realized it wasn't just me.

It wasn't the birth I wanted either time. With my youngest, I went to a REAL (freestanding) birth center and even though I really wanted pain medication when I was in the transition stage of labor, I couldn't get it because they didn't have it, and in the end I was SO GLAD I didn't have it. It was by far the best birth I had. I would not change a single thing about that experience. I want to go to the same birth center with this pregnancy again. I will never again have a hospital birth.

That said, a lot of women have had wonderful hospital births where the hospital followed their birth plan. That could depend on the hospital or it could depend on the nurses who are on staff. With MOST hospital births, the doctor or midwife don't show up until you the baby's head crowns, for that last few pushes to get the baby out. If I HAD to have a hospital birth again, I would hire a doula. There's too many variables otherwise in terms of having the birth you want (which is really limited in a hospital anyway as there are some things you aren't ALLOWED to do even if you put it on your birth plan). You could have a great hospital and a great doctor but because of the nurse on duty and assigned to you you might not have the birth you want.

So, I plan to repeat my most recent birth, if possible. I feel more confidence in my odds of having the birth I want if I do. I totally support hospital births though for those who want them. And no matter what birthing choice someone makes, if they have something in mind for their birth they really need realize that in a hospital it WON'T be easy to have the birth you want, even if you think it's going to be, just I NCASE, be prepared that it's going to be almost impossible and that you will need people to fight for your patient rights for you because it's hard to do so while in labor. I thought my husband would, but he didn't. I was so so so so so prepared and it still didn't work out, so with a hospital birth I will just say no matter how prepared you think you are, expect that you need to be 1000x times more prepared than that, unless you don't really care about your birthing experience and only care about the end result (which is totally cool!)
October 31st, 2012, 09:37 AM
Still Trying for #1
Interesting

Thank you for that info, lost.

I'm starting to think I don't want a hospital birth unless it's absolutely necessary. I have no idea if I am high risk or anything so I guess maybe I should do some research?

October 31st, 2012, 09:41 AM
With my last birth, I was in the tub because I wanted a water birth, and my cousin was in labor too in the next room, and because I wasnt progressing fast enough, he wanted me to get back on the bed. (I refused, because I knew there was no logical reason to move) So he picked me up out of the tub, and placed me on the bed, and left. I was so mad. My cousin ended up having a c-section after I gave birth. > I was induced also, but I didnt use pain medications.

With my 2nd birth... it went pretty good. I did get the epidural though, which I regret... and also didnt get the waterbirth I wanted either..

My first birth, my doctor didnt listen to me when I told her I was in labor. She made me wait at home, and ended up going to the hospital in active premature labor, too late to stop it. Of course though, Avery had alot of chromosomal problems, and he wouldnt have survived even if he was full-term. But the fact that my doctor didnt trust my own instincts... > No pain killers - Labor progressed too fast.

I dont trust doctors in my area anymore.

And of course... this is just MY experience.

Last edited by AIK112018; October 31st, 2012 at 09:46 AM.
October 31st, 2012, 09:45 AM
IF you are high risk, you'll need a hospital birth. If you aren't high risk, a hospital could make you high risk. Just my experience that makes me say that, though. The thing with hospital births is your birthing plan WILL be much more limited. You an put anything you want on it, but when you get there they won't read it, and if they do they will disregard a lot of what you want as not an option. I just feel like a mom-to-be has a BETTER chance with a home or true birth center birth for their birthing plan to be honored. BUT, really, some parents just feel like they want an epidural and don't care what else happens, don't care if they get a c-section (or might even prefer one), etc, in which case a hospital would be better for them, or, if they don't care what happens, then a hospital works, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIK112018 View Post
With my last birth, I was in the tub because I wanted a water birth, and my cousin was in labor too in the next room, and because I wasnt progressing fast enough, he wanted me to get back on the bed. (I refused, because I knew there was no logical reason to move) So he picked me up out of the tub, and placed me on the bed, and left. I was so mad. My cousin ended up having a c-section after I gave birth.

With my 2nd birth... it went pretty good. I did get the epidural though, which I regret... and also didnt get the waterbirth I wanted either..

My first birth, my doctor didnt listen to me when I told her I was in labor. She made me wait at home, and ended up going to the hospital in active premature labor, too late to stop it. Of course though, Avery had alot of chromosomal problems, and he wouldnt have survived even if he was full-term. But the fact that my doctor didnt trust my own instincts...

I dont trust doctors in my area anymore.

And of course... this is just MY experience.

That's TERRIBLE!

Here, they say you can have a water birth, but when you get there, and not UNTIL you get there, do you find out that you can be in LABOR in the tub but you can NOT give birth in the tub. It's misleading. They make parents think they can have any birth experience they want in the hospital. Just type up your page and request a room with a birthing tub. But it does NOT work that way. If the room is taken, you won't get it. If the room is available, it's not REALLY a "birthing" tub. It's a laboring tub.
October 31st, 2012, 09:51 AM
Still Trying for #1
I wonder sometimes if gestational diabetes runs in the family? Does anybody know?

October 31st, 2012, 09:53 AM
Same here with the hospital, there are only 3 rooms I think with a tub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsb1029 View Post
I wonder sometimes if gestational diabetes runs in the family? Does anybody know?
I have heard that it does....
October 31st, 2012, 09:57 AM
First, there's plenty you can do to prevent gestational diabetes. I'm not saying taking those measures works for everyone.

"For every 10 grams of total daily fiber a woman eats she lowers her risk of gestational diabetes by 26 percent! The study also found that women who eat diets low in dietary fiber were twice as likely to get gestational diabetes."
Is Gestational Diabetes Preventable?

There is some indication that gestational diabetes is hereditary, but form what I understand that is not confirmed and most of the research has been seen as inconclusive.
October 31st, 2012, 09:59 AM
Still Trying for #1
My mom had it and my grandma is diabetic. And I am a little overweight. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

October 31st, 2012, 10:09 AM
Do what you can! You could even start working on your dietary fiber intake now
mrsb1029 likes this.
October 31st, 2012, 11:47 AM
FishermansWife4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'll be having a repeat c-section. I've had 3 previous c's so it's kind of a given. I don't like it but it's what has to be done :shrug:

2013 Mommy
"No freedom til' we're equal. D*mn right I support it." - Macklemore "Same love"
October 31st, 2012, 11:51 AM
BabyX's Avatar TTC #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishermansWife4 View Post
I'll be having a repeat c-section. I've had 3 previous c's so it's kind of a given. I don't like it but it's what has to be done :shrug:
Don't you hate it when we don't have to do stuff we don't like?

October 31st, 2012, 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishermansWife4 View Post
I admire your bravery. The idea of a c-section TERRIFIES me. I told my husband if I ever needed one, I don't care WHAT the rules are, they better put me to sleep because I could NOT be awake through it. I know many women have done that, but I just couldn't. I would have a panic attack.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search