Signing.....how do you feel about it?

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 18th, 2008, 09:00 AM
dee68's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to dee68
I really dont think I would do it with Katie. I know 2 families that have little ones ( 2 yrs & almost 3 yrs)and they taught the kids to sign.
well, these children show no signs of trying to communicate by talking at all.....that is what worries me, that it will hinder her in some way from trying to talk.

Has anyone here used it and had liked it?

if not what are your thoughts?

May 18th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Mum2three's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Mum2three
My aunt is deaf and cant speak so she had to teach her children to sign, and had to send them to a special school to help out with the signing. And theres really nothing wrong with it. they still spoke to my uncle and I fine. but they know when mom is around they have to sign, cause she cant hear. I think its great. and when i had my kids, i would sign to them milk and stuff, when they were 4-5 months old, so i knew what they wanted. I see nothing wrong in teaching a child sign.. thats just me tho..

I dont use all the signs, but some that will help me out as a parent to understand a infant

May 18th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Doodle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have taught all of my kids basic sign and have found it to be a wonderful tool. My oldest daughter is now diagnosed as autistic, as an infant signing helped alleviate frustration and the doctors attribute her willingness to communicate to the fact that we did sign with her. DD2 is gifted with verbal skills off the chart, the doctors feel that signing was a great way to engage and expend her mind at an early age which helped her to develop her verbal skills. DS is 15 months and in the midst of a language explosion (one of his favorite words to try and say is riduculous). He still signs eat, sleep, drink when he is too frustrated to think of the words but it has not stopped him from talking one bit.

When we teach sign, we teach very basic needs like eat, sleep, drink, milk, water, hurt, yes, no, no touch, stop and then the animals just because they are fun. 99% of the time we say the words in conjunction with the sign

May 18th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Eleysia's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My son's daycare taught them to sign. not 100%, just a few words. It helped us a little bit since it took him a while to talk. He would sign for things like more, his cup, outside, stuff along those lines. He was still talking a bit, but just couldnt say those words. I was sorta grateful for it, as long as they filled me in on what the signs meant lol.

May 18th, 2008, 11:12 AM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
I'm sort of with you, Dee. The kids that I know personally who were taught to sign took longer to talk, so even though I've heard a lot of great things, I'm hesitant about it. Which is why I didn't start with Erin. She's got her own signs though (she pats her tummy when hungry, and that's something I've NEVER done with her, so she got that one on her own!). I've not had any real issue communicating with her, especially now that she's a little older and is better at letting me know what she wants.

May 18th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am thinking about using sign language with my baby. I know that my nephew was diagnosed with autism and he was always so frustrated and would bang his head on the floor, walls, or even the glass sliding door (very scary) and then my sister taught him signs and he could finally communicate what he wanted and the tantrums began to get less and less. Later they worked with him in speach therapy and now he is like a normal little boy. Genius when it comes to most things, IMO. I think it was the best thing for him and my sister of course. Also by signing my sister always said the word out loud and once he started talking his vocabulary was out of sight. He only has a mild case of autism though.

So I am thinking about teaching this baby some of the words, like hungry, thirsty, more..and so on.

May 18th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I dont really have a preference, but I have never done it. Havent really needed to, and I always understood what they needed no matter what.

So I probably wont this time either.
May 18th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Lv2Mommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Interesting - I've never really considered teaching my kids to sign. They were all verbal from a very early age and able to tell me what they needed. My mom teached special education and uses signing a lot with the non-verbal kids in her class. My niece uses several signs that my mom has taught her, and although she's not very verbal (she'll be two in July) I don't know that it has to do with the signing.

I guess it all depends on your kids, but I think it's a great thing for them to learn.
May 18th, 2008, 01:22 PM
victorialv's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Have not given it any thought before this thread, but I don't think so, unless I am just having a really hard time understanding.

Angels in Heavan.
Helena May, June 28, 2007 & Alexander Michael, October 11, 2007
May 18th, 2008, 03:35 PM
dee68's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to dee68
Quote:
I'm sort of with you, Dee. The kids that I know personally who were taught to sign took longer to talk, so even though I've heard a lot of great things, I'm hesitant about it. Which is why I didn't start with Erin. She's got her own signs though (she pats her tummy when hungry, and that's something I've NEVER done with her, so she got that one on her own!). I've not had any real issue communicating with her, especially now that she's a little older and is better at letting me know what she wants.[/b]
Now that's one smart cookie !!!! LOL

yeah, I just don't think I want to do it......
dont get me wrong, there are cases where it can be necessary and that I am all for.....but from what I have seen, where there is not a need for it....the children are taking longer...~shrugs~

May 18th, 2008, 04:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I think if this baby had a hearing loss or some other problem, I would most definitely do it. However, I would also be concerned that it would delay their speech, provided there was no disability. A positive side, tho, would be that they could communicate earlier to what their needs/wants are.

I haven't ALWAYS understood what my kids wanted or needed when they were learning to talk...most of the time, though, you just know...mommy's intuition or something??? And it's kinda fun to learn with them what they are trying to communicate...trial and error...My kids didn't come with a manual........LOL!

May 19th, 2008, 07:13 AM
kalis's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i will probably teach her some. i know quite a bit of sign b/c i used to babysit a deaf girl and one of friends in grade school was deaf. my mom also used to be a sign language interpreter in the school system here. but i plan on just teaching some basic signs before she is old enough to be talking,... more, milk, eat, sleep, yes, no. along those lines.
my best friend did this with her son, who is almost two now, & it seemed to help him a lot with that frustration that little ones get when they want or need something and don't have the language skills yet. and he is sure a talker! talking more every day!
May 19th, 2008, 09:37 AM
~*Kixs*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My mom runs a daycare and keep Kaylie for us. She teaches all her kids basic baby sign and then some colors and animals b/c like a pp said it is just fun

DD picked up on this really well and would sign stuff when she wanted something. The only down side is Kaylie was a early talker...3-4 work sentences by 12 months. And when she started signing she stopped saying the word that she knew!!! It was so fustrating! So we would just make her say the word with the sign or she would not get what she wanted...I know mean mommy. But the no talking business only lasted a couple of weeks. But it was fustrating...Grrr....

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search