1st trimester screening

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 21st, 2008, 10:00 PM
victorialv's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi Ladies, I think I was lurking on the Dec DDC board when I saw them post about this. Can you please fill me in on the screening where they measure around the head/neck area and take some blood to check for Down's Syndrome? Is this routine or do you have to ask for it because my doctor has not mentioned anything to me about it, and I am concerned that she won't do it at the next appt if I don't say something.

What have been your experiences?

Angels in Heavan.
Helena May, June 28, 2007 & Alexander Michael, October 11, 2007
May 21st, 2008, 10:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Victoria,

The only screen that I have had is the blood draw (called a quad screen) that checks for Down's, Trisomy 18, and Cystic Fibrosis (if I remember correctly.) This test is routine, I believe.

Some people do have an ultrasound at a certain number of weeks (I forget how many weeks) that they measure the neck to see if it's 'thicker'? or something...I am not exact on my info here....but when I asked my doctor about having that kind of screen done, he said that because I am still young-ish, that he wouldn't do it as routine.

I know I have been a little vague, as I don't know all the details, but I hope that help a little...someone is sure to know more about all this...

May 22nd, 2008, 08:03 AM
angelmomjen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to angelmomjen
I had blown drawn at my last appointment 16weeks...but no metion of an ultrasound although I have also seen on other boards where they talk about it..let me know whatcha find out!
May 22nd, 2008, 09:06 AM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
I refused the blood screen with both pregnancies. It tests for a certain protein, of which high levels can indicate things like Downs, and spina bifida, etc.

The problem is, it is QUITE COMMON, to have high levels but not have any problems. There were SEVERAL positives in my PR, but no babies with health problems. My SIL got a positive, and her baby is perfect. I think that it can cause a lot of unnecessary stress. I don't see a reason for it, unless you have risk factors for some of the diseases it's supposed to "find." In the end, the results are "you have a slightly higher possibility"

Oh, and my best friend's sister's son has spina bifida, and her screening came out clean.

So it doesn't seem worth it to me.

As always, do what you feel is best, but I just wanted to make you aware of what I've seen.

May 22nd, 2008, 09:13 AM
Platinum Supermommy
are you thinking of the nuchal fold test??? I think thats what its called, and its done between 11 and 14 weeks via ultrasound. I do not think its routine, so if you want that done I would call your dr. and ask for it.
May 22nd, 2008, 09:23 AM
~*Kixs*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The blood screen is the quadscreen as mentioned above. My doctor does the blood draw between 16-18 weeks. I had it done with both my kids. I did decline it with my DD but my doctor talked me into it only b/c he said while the test would probably come back clean that it is better to know if I was going to have a specail needs child so I could prepare myself and my childs world to better suit her needs....I was 22 when I was pg with her.

Well my test came back postive with DD....I then had an u/s to do the neck messurments and stuff and she was perfectly fine. This test does give a lot of false positives!

But I still had it done with DS, even after my false positive with DD. It is just a blood draw on me so no risk to baby. Plus if there was something "wrong" with my child I would want to know so I could prepare myself and my childs "world" like my doctor had said.

It is only 1 or 2 vials of blood and no big deal.

May 22nd, 2008, 08:12 PM
dee68's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to dee68
I had the quad screen and the Nuchal fold test also....I want to say at 12 weeks. I had another screen done at 18 weeks, I think....for Down's,trisomy 18 & spina bifida. you can decline these tests if you want to.
after I got my results I declined to have any further done...amnio etc.

Nuchal Fold Screen Info
http://www.babycenter.com/0_nuchal-translu...creening_118.bc

May 23rd, 2008, 07:23 PM
Brittney06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
at my doc's it is optional for the test and you have to go to another office to have it done and insurance doesn't pay for it most of the time.
I didn't want to have it done anyways because like Brittanie said alot of times they results are not accurate and you can get false positives and false negatives so I think i will just avoid that stress!
If you want it done I would def. talk to your doctor about it maybe at your office it is mando so they don't even bring it up.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search