epidural question

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 23rd, 2008, 07:49 PM
dee68's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to dee68

I keep hearing they make the labor process slower...is that true ???
is there something else given for pain the doesnt have to be put in your spine? why am I freaking out over this?...lol
can I deliver in the hospital pharmacy and just start grabbing stuff as I need it ?

May 23rd, 2008, 07:57 PM
Mum2three's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Mum2three
HAHA Dee...I have heard of some cases of it slowing down the labor process. But not all the time. Thats why they do it before your 5 cm. Cause they want to be able to pump the real stuff in and get you to 10 asap and have lots of contractions.

I personally didnt have any meds for child birth. the only one was Alexanders birth, cause he was a emergency c-section.

Freak out all you want!! its only normal....Its a scary time...

you will have no problems...

May 23rd, 2008, 08:19 PM
Brittney06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I can't decide if I am more scared to have that needle going into my back, or pushing something out between my legs with no meds!
Either way I may have a heart attack when i get closer to that day!
(I had a minor freak out after watching a baby story today)
May 23rd, 2008, 09:25 PM
Sabina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The epi does slow down labour for a lot of ppl. I had mine REALLY early at 3 cm and I stayed at 3 for a long time and it was upsetting. Just be prepared that you might slow down for a bit. My epi never hurt at all. I never felt the burning or anything. I did have a huge amount of back the day after for about a week. I was told it's normal after an epi but nobody told that before so I thought I would pass that along so you know. I couldn't carry Ben's car seat for about a week.
May 23rd, 2008, 09:34 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
I hadn't noticed that, but I was on pitocin both times, so I don't know if that affected anything. I got my epi w/Cora around 11:00 am and she was born at 4:07pm, and with Erin I got the epi at 8am and she was born at 8:48am.

ETA: With Cora I had been pushing for 2 hours but couldn't deliver without help because she was caught on her cord. So I was fully dilated and effaced around 2pm. So I only had the epi for 3 hours before being ready...not long at all.

May 24th, 2008, 12:14 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I keep hearing they make the labor process slower...is that true ???
is there something else given for pain the doesnt have to be put in your spine? why am I freaking out over this?...lol
can I deliver in the hospital pharmacy and just start grabbing stuff as I need it ? [/b]
You can deliver at the pharmacy and grab as much as you like....just make sure Mick is there later to bail you out of jail.

I was induced with the prostaglandin gel and Pitocin with every baby. I had an epi with every single one...and Fentanyl (sp?) and my labors (ALL of them) were RIDICULOUSLY LONG. There are too many variables with mine so i don't know if prolonged labor was caused from the epi or all the meds combined....
May 24th, 2008, 06:52 AM
woohoo502's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have heard that it can slow down labor, but sometimes it can make you progress quickly. If you body is very tense during contractions, once you relax after having the epi, you can move a little quicker than you were. I hope that is what happens to me!

I am also freaking out about the epi, but I have much longer to think about it!

May 24th, 2008, 08:19 AM
Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Christal
I didnt have an epi with either of mine but I did have demerol with the first and staydol with the second. This time I am going all natural at a birth center. The main thing with narcotics is they wear off pretty fast and can only be given every 2 hrs I believe and because they relax you too much there is a chance that you will have to have pitosum with them. Also when they wear off you are pretty much going from no pain to hard labor which is kind of a shock and you dont have a chane to get used to them. So I figure I did it twice feeling everything I can do it with nothing this time. I was there when my sister delivered and the epi slowed her labor down so much she was at 4 cm for about 6 hrs and the Dr. were debating a c-section but my mom would not let them she finally did start progressing. I know how scary it is thinking about pain especially if its your first but I just think of it this way. It dosent last forever it will end eventually and the second you look into the eyes of your new baby you completly forget about it.
May 24th, 2008, 08:22 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I found that it made mine speed up. The only thing I can tell you is that after several hours of contractions it was the best thing I could have done and only 30 minutes later she was born. Sure it seems scary, but its not that bad. I know you will do just fine. Women do it all of the time, so if they can handle it so can you! Keep telling yourself that, it worked for me.

May 24th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
I do have to tell you this: I fully believe I could go completely natural. I almost did with Erin. I was putting off the epi because the anesthesiologist with Cora was stupid and took 3 tries to get it in. So when they broke my water at 7am, I asked for my epi. Well, they only had the overnight anesthesiologist and the day ones come in at 8am, and he was downstairs with my friend's 2 year old son (he was have surgery). Long story short, he got there at 8.

I went into transition 10-15 minutes after they broke my water, and was dealing with those horrid contractions for 45minutes before he got there. I was shaking so bad I could barely sign the little form. I think my signature was just a scribble. I didn't feel the needle or anything at all, since I was so focussed on the contractions I was having.

After I finally got it, I could breathe again. It was wonderful. And they didn't give me much, since I was so close to delivery, so I was up and walking about 30 minutes after Erin was born.

Here's my tip...let yourself labor for a while without it. You may be stronger than you think.

May 24th, 2008, 10:10 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I just watched the hour and a half thing on epidurals and pitocin. from what I watched it definitely can slow down labor, most of the time it does. It did with my sister. And I also learned it increases your chances of a C Section, because of what happened to Christals sister that she talked about. BUT I am sure you will be just fine, if you chose other drugs instead there are plenty. My SIL got through her labor with Nubain, and she has a low pain tolerance. she practically slept through it all, so you could try that first.
May 25th, 2008, 11:36 AM
dee68's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to dee68
Thank you all so much for your responses & stories !
It is alot to to think about......but I will "try " as Brittanie said to labor as long as I can......then go for it....

thanks again girls,
you are the best !!!

May 25th, 2008, 03:32 PM
victorialv's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have also heard from many that it slows down labor. But, you know what's funny, everytime I watch those baby shows, it seems to speed it up?! I really don't know what to think about that, but it seems to work really well for a lot of people who wait for a little while. I think I will end up doing that. Waiting until it is not something I can handle any longer. I know I will never go natural, I just don't have it in me to go all the way, so to speak. Hats off to the ladies that can though!

Angels in Heavan.
Helena May, June 28, 2007 & Alexander Michael, October 11, 2007

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search