Anyone here have the MTHFR gene mutation?

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 25th, 2008, 03:53 PM
victorialv's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I guess I have 2 mutations of this gene. I am not super clear on which those are, but I trust my RE explicitly, so I have decided not to do my normal "google it to death". I never trust doctors this way, but she is the absolute TOPS, and I am able to let it go with her.

Anyhow, curious if anyone else has the same thing, and what you are taking for it? I take a baby aspirin, a prescription called metanx AND my DH gives me a shot of Lovenox every night (ouch! ). Sometimes, it doesn't hurt at all and other times, I almost jump 10 ft in the air. Weird!

Angels in Heavan.
Helena May, June 28, 2007 & Alexander Michael, October 11, 2007
May 26th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Raises hand!!

I am homozygous for mthfr. Apparently I have two abnormal genes. I found this out after I lost my dd. Since we lost her I started taking a baby aspirin, continued my prenatal vitamin while ttc, and they upped my dose of folic acid to 5mg instead of just 1mg in my prenatal. I started taking the Lovenox just over 4 weeks along (ouch), but it does get better with time. Of course I am bruised but its not that bad. I am not sure what the metanx is but I would talk to your dr. about taking more folic acid. I see that many women with this take 2-5mg. I was told that I will always need the folic and the BA even when not pregnant or ttc.

May 27th, 2008, 02:39 PM
kalis's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i do not have the mthfr mutation, but i have tested positive for other blood clotting disorders in the past (protien c & protein s deficiencies).
i take both the baby aspirin and i give myself shots of lovenox one time a day (80mg). that is great that your dh does them for you- justin would never be able to do that, he isn't really into needles. and i am like you, sometimes the shots go well and don't hurt too much at all, and other times i am about in tears. it is worth it though.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search