Transvaginal Ultrasound

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 28th, 2005, 07:37 PM
gtsscott's Avatar Veteran
Hi guys,

I had a m/c earlier this year the day after I had a u/s. I was bleeding a little leading up to the u/s which was the reason I was referred but then the morning after I passed the baby even though the Dr done in internal and said the cervix was closed.

I am now 6 weeks 1 day and am due to have a u/s next week but I don't want the Transv one - I think I will refuse point blank because I am just terrified that I will m/c again.

Has anyone else had experiences like this or a phobia of this now?

I don't know whether it was the u/s or if the baby just didn't take. It is just making me physically sick thinking about having to go through it again.

I hope I don't sound neurotic but I can't help it.

November 28th, 2005, 08:58 PM
Mickey3's Avatar Super Mommy
I've had the same concerns, my mc started a few hours after my u/s. With my situation though, my gestational sac was abnormally shaped, and I mc'd after getting my second opinion.
DH is an engineer and worked on an u/s project grad school(something to do with prostate exams ), he assures me that it is 100% safe, and in no way can cause miscarriage. I'm nervous about it, but I will be getting an early u/s with this pregnancy to check the sac shape this time around.
Jack Oliver 8/4/06

November 28th, 2005, 11:25 PM
michaelsbaby's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to michaelsbaby Send a message via MSN to michaelsbaby Send a message via Yahoo to michaelsbaby
I am so glad that I am not the only one that has this concern. I was only spotting slighty before my u/s and then afterwards I started bleeding heavily.

</div>
November 29th, 2005, 02:23 AM
Ukmum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Ukmum
I was already losing when i had that. They gave me a normal scan first but couldn't see the baby then gave me the vaginal one

m/c 86, May 04, July 04, m/c Sep 04

http://www.facebook.com/Ukmum
November 29th, 2005, 06:41 AM
hopin4a4rth
Mine may have... but it's because it was done wrong. The dr had the wand shoved up SO far and was digging around. When my OB found out he was livid.

Needless to say I refused to have an internal u/s done this time... I told them I'd come in at 9 or 10 weeks for an abdominal one, but I didn't want to have an internal.
November 29th, 2005, 07:28 AM
JennL
I would do some research on transvaginal u/s's before your appointment to try and ease your mind. There is still the barrier of your cervix and other things in between the wand and where your baby is located so the likelihood of it causing a miscarriage is almost nothing from what i've read (i've had several of them over the past two years as well as 3 with this pregnancy to more accurately measure my cervix length). They could cause some irritation to your cervix, as does a pap smear or intercourse - but that doesn't cause miscarriage.

You do always have the right of refusal though, and if you're too uncomfortable with the procedure then don't do it. When I first went for my u/s with this pregnancy at 6wk6days - they were able to get a good enough look with the abdominal u/s and were able to see the heartbeat, so I didn't have to have the transvag. one. Maybe you'll be lucky, too!

Best of luck with your appointment!
~Jenn
November 29th, 2005, 08:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
i was spotting so my doc. used a transvaginal ultrasound inorder to see the cause of the spotting. After few hours i had bleeding(for three days) which lead to a m/c becareful !
November 29th, 2005, 11:46 AM
Regular
I am on my 3rd pregnancy. My first one I lost at 10 weeks but I knew of the loss at 7 weeks. My OB wanted me to try to pass it myself w/o a D & C. I had 3 vag. ultrasounds with my first one. After all of them - I didn't spot or bleed. My 2nd pregnancy - I had no problems and now I am pregnant again and I am not having good turn outs on my hcg tests or progesterone. I have had 1 vag. u/s and on Friday they are going to schedule another one. I don't feel I lost my 1st on due to the u/s but now you have me thinking about this one - if I should go through with it on Friday.
November 29th, 2005, 12:14 PM
michaelsbaby's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to michaelsbaby Send a message via MSN to michaelsbaby Send a message via Yahoo to michaelsbaby
Quote:
Originally posted by hopin4a4rth@Nov 29 2005, 08:41 AM
Mine may have... but it's because it was done wrong.* The dr had the wand shoved up SO far and was digging around. * When my OB found out he was livid.*

* Needless to say I refused to have an internal u/s done this time... I told them I'd come in at 9 or 10 weeks for an abdominal one, but I didn't want to have an internal.
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]

I think with this one, if they can't find it with just an abdominal u/s then I'll just wait, I am too afraid to have an internal one done again. I had only been spotting a bit, not much, and it was dark, brownish mostly. But after the internal u/s it was (tmi warning) red and kinda clumpy.

</div>
December 12th, 2005, 05:21 PM
I definitely want to add my 2 cents here. I agree with the gal that pointed out that the wand is no more irritating that intercourse or a pap smear. The fact that you were spotting and that your cervix was still closed are not relevant to the wand. You were likely spotting because the miscarriage was already beginning. The cervix doesn't open up right away once the body realizes it's miscarrying. Think of it like labor and delivery. You have to labor for quite some time before the cervix is fully dilated. On a smaller scale the same thing happens with a miscarriage. I'm guessing the pregnancy was already over and having the ultrasound or NOT having the ultrasound would not have changed it. It may have helped your body speed up the process, but that's all. When a pregnancy is good it takes a LOT to end it. When a pregnancy is imperfect, nothing can stop it's demise.
December 13th, 2005, 01:53 AM
gtsscott's Avatar Veteran
I had the Ultrasound and tole the Tech that I didn't want the internal because I was worried about the last mc. I was 7 weeks, I am a fairly large girl so I was VERY happy that they were able to find my little bean and were able to get a heartbeat doing the abdominal.

After all of the reading it still doesn't feel reassuring enough to me that it is safe even though I may have already been in the process of ms. So I still associate the u/s with the mc.

All is well so far though, I am now 8 weeks and looking forward to this trimest being over

December 13th, 2005, 12:07 PM
queenofthecastle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree with JennL. The wand don't go into your uterus so it can't cause a m/c. I had spotting in the beginning with this pregnancy and just having sex caused me to spot more. It's because the cervix can get irritated and having something in there, be it a wand for a vaginal u/s or a penis can cause the spotting/bleeding to increase. If you had a m/c after a u/s then it was probably going to happen anyway.

If you are still scared then ask for the dr to give you a regular u/s although it may not show everything as well as a vaginal one.

Sorry that your stressed!!!

Angie

=May '05 and '11

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search