HCG levels after miscarriage

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 2nd, 2005, 09:57 AM
Veteran
I had a natural, uncomplicated miscarriage which started on Novemeber 21 (I as 9 weeks pregnant). By November 28th, I had stopped bleeding. My doctor said I should get more blood tests in about another week just to see what my HCG levels are. My question is, if my partner and I want to start trying right away to get pregnant again, is there any point if my HCG level aren't back to pre-pregnancy levels (although they probably are - just don't know for sure). Is it possible that I will ovulate as soon as 2 weeks after my miscarriage?
December 2nd, 2005, 11:12 AM
JennL
First of all, I'm really sorry for your loss. As far as your question it's hard to say. The reason why they want to check your hcg levels afterwards is that with a natural miscarriage sometimes not all of the tissue comes out, and if some remains inside it can cause an infection (and will also cause your hcg levels to remain elevated). It is best to have them checked just to be sure that everything was taken care of and you can start off "fresh" so to speak.

It is also impossible to predict when you'll ovulate after miscarriage as everyone's different. Some keep the same schedule, and some don't ovulate right away. With this pregnancy, I ovulated 34 days after my second miscarriage, which is when we got pregnant again. So far so good, although they do recommend waiting at least 1 cycle so that your dating will be more accurate for when you do get pregnant.

I wish you the best of luck!
December 3rd, 2005, 06:06 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm just lurking. I wanted to add, that I m/c in July and it was Sept. before my pregnancy levels were down. I went in to get my blood tested every week at first, and then every couple weeks. I agree with Jenn, there could always be some tissue left behind, so if I were you I'd just keep checking till you know for sure that it's safe to ttc again. Good Luck.
Gavin born 4/10/09

December 6th, 2005, 05:42 PM
Ditto to the above. I had a natural, uncomplicated m/c at around 10 weeks and it took some time for my hCG levels to go down. You want it to be back at normal before you try to conceive again because you certgainly don't want to get an infection right around the time you might conceive and risk another pregnancy loss or great harm to your health. The longer you recover the better able your body will be to work at sustaining the next pregnancy. As for how long before you ovulate, probably an individual thing. I don't think I ovulated for several months afterward. Probably a combination of my emotional stress and age.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search