We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
I'm waffeling ladies, and just don't know what to do.
Just a little back story: I miscarried on June 29th of this year. I had an ultrasound the week before where the Dr. told me that my gestational sac was irregular and I would miscarry. I found another dr. for a second opinion, had another u/s, saw the heartbeat, but later that day began spotting. Went to the ER, had yet another u/s where they discovered that the baby's heart was no longer beating, and then had a d&c the following day, due to very heavy bleeding.
My dr.'s office called today, and scheduled my ultrasound next Monday. At first I was happy about getting in so quickly, but now i'm rethinking it! I will be 5 weeks and 4 days which might be far enough along to see something, but possibly not. So I guess that I don't really want to do it, I don't want to know, I don't want an impending miscarriage hanging over my head like it did last time. I just want to be as happy as I am now for as long as I can be. At the same time, if I had the u/s and they saw something abnormal I could go ahead and schedule the d&c and get it over with before Christmas.....So what would you do??
Thanks for reading if you got this far!!!!!
Angel baby 6/29/05
Jack Oliver 8/4/06
It's amazing the mind set that we get into after a loss. I remember having similar thoughts about my appointment that was right before Thanksgiving and how horrible it would be to cancel all of our travelling family last minute.
At 5 weeks 4 days, you will probably only be able to see a gestacional sac and maybe a small white blob. I had one around that time and then again at 6 1/2 weeks. It's up to you if you want to go ahead with the US. I know for me it was reassuring to see that something was forming and it wasn't all in my head. Chances are, you're still so early that even if there was going to be a problem, it's too early to see it.
Maybe I didn't help much, but wanted you to know that you're not alone. I too MC this summer. We had our final appointment on June 30th and saw that there was no HB and the baby had stopped developing weeks prior. It's been really difficult for me to believe that this pregnancy can go to term, but I'm trying to stay positive. Best of luck to ya, let us know what you decide to do.
I personally won't want it done until about 7 weeks only because you won't be able to see anything yet. I had one at 6 weeks and only saw a sac and it drove me crazy until I went in at 7 weeks and saw a baby and a h/b.
I'm very sorry for your loss, and know how long lasting the after-effects can be. Like has been previously said, I too would wait until you're at least 7 weeks before you get an ultrasound. At this date, you should still be able to gat an u/s prior to Christmas if you wanted, just not so early on that they won't be able to see anything.
Most doctors that I had talked to wouldn't even do an u/s prior to 7 weeks because you really can't see anything and usually it's too early for there to normally even be a heartbeat. I went at exactly 7 wks with this pregnancy and they were able to see the h/b w/the external u/s so I even was able to avoid having the vaginal u/s that i'd had to have with the prior two that i'd lost.
I too hope that you will be as happy as you are now! Please keep us posted
I called my dr. today and she finally got back to me, I know i'm being a pain but I really wanted to put that u/s off for awhile. I did get the appt. changed until the 20th, i'll be 6 weeks 5 days, and I miscarried at 7 weeks exactly last time around. She thinks that it really needs to be done before we go out of town for the holidays, to make sure that everything is okay. Since the sac was irregular last time there is a chance that it will be again, i'm just praying that this bean will stick, and everything will be okay.
Angel baby 6/29/05
Jack Oliver 8/4/06
I had two miscarriages last year and so am quite trepidatious this time around. I had my first U/S last week (at 4w and 4d) and all we saw was a sack. I'm not sure why we did one this early, but for me it was something for me to see to BELIEVE that I was pregnant. BUT, I'm not a big fan of doing a bunch of unnecessary U/S as scientists are still on the fence as to whether they are harmful to the fetus and how harmful. My hormone levels are great so far and I believe I am going to put my foot down and insist that we wait quite a while for the next U/S as I just don't see a need to subject the fetus to that so much. I just want my hormone levels checked regularly, that will be enough for me until I'm far enough along that we can check for heart beat with the doppler.
I am glad you are waiting. With this pregnancy I went in at 5W6D and we saw nothing but a gestational sac and it worried me so bad. I had to go back 3 days later and we finally saw a baby with a heartbeat. I wished I had waited because those 3 days were so terrible for me. I did not want to go in that early, but I had been having a lot of spotting. Good luck to you!
Angel baby 7/5/05
New bean due 5/17/06!!