Birth control??

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 10th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Just wondering what will you ladies do about bc after this baby is born?

I know that I can't take any hormones with the clotting disorders, and I am allergic to latex so condoms are out. I don't want anything perminent because I think I might want more if this pregnancy goes perfectly. I just don't want to end up pregnant in the first couple of months. We have been ttc for 6 years minus the 7 months that I was pregnant with Abby and the 5 months with this baby. I just don't think I know how to prevent! lol

Is there any options other than hormonal supplements?

NFP isn't really a good choice for me because my cycles are so irregular with the pcos. They can range from 24-60+ days. I just don't want to be consumed with temping and using opk's right away. However after 6months to a year if it happens then that will be great, but I know my body will need time to recover from 2 pregnancies.

So what will you ladies be using to prevent?

August 10th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
I'm not pregnant currently, but I have an IUD - and I already know that when I do have another babe, i'll be getting another IUD afterward! I have the copper IUD, and the first month was a bit yucky with spotting & cramping - BUT after that first month, things got back to normal & I love it!!!

August 10th, 2008, 04:27 PM
NeeshBoogie's Avatar Super Mommy
I was thinking about going back to the pill, but I had been using the mini pill and I read somewhere that the mini pill makes one more likely to miscarry or have ectopic pregnancies, so I probably won't rush to get another mini pill.

Condoms will probably be my primary until I can find a pill I actually trust. I'm afraid of "the shot." LOL

Thank you Mod-MommaTrish for my gorgeous siggy!!!

August 10th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Madison.Hailey.Zack's Avatar Mom of 2 Girls and a Boy!
DH and I will most likely use condoms. Its going to be so weird though for us since we havent used them since June 06. We used them everytime for 9 years and then stopped when we started ttc. It kind of feels like a step back but I dont want to get pg to fast after having Madison but DH and I are only going to wait maybe 6 months to start trying again because we want to try without the Clomid this next time and if after 3 or so months we are going to go back on Clomid. Sorry got off topic Can you use a diafram (sp)?

August 10th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I'm not pregnant currently, but I have an IUD - and I already know that when I do have another babe, i'll be getting another IUD afterward! I have the copper IUD, and the first month was a bit yucky with spotting & cramping - BUT after that first month, things got back to normal & I love it!!![/b]
Is the IUD hormones? Do you still ovulate or have af while on it? I have heard of several getting pregnant while using the IUD, thats what scares me the most.

Quote:
DH and I will most likely use condoms. Its going to be so weird though for us since we havent used them since June 06. We used them everytime for 9 years and then stopped when we started ttc. It kind of feels like a step back but I dont want to get pg to fast after having Madison but DH and I are only going to wait maybe 6 months to start trying again because we want to try without the Clomid this next time and if after 3 or so months we are going to go back on Clomid. Sorry got off topic Can you use a diafram (sp)?[/b]
Dont worry, its not off topic. I was wondering if I was crazy for thinking that far ahead. My dh thinks I am nuts but really its something we have to think about. I think it is just too risky to get pregnant again too soon. Pregnancy takes a lot out of our bodies anyways, and with being on Lovenox I know I want time to get back to "normal". I want to be protected because it always happens when you least expect it.

August 10th, 2008, 07:54 PM
NeeshBoogie's Avatar Super Mommy
Aren't there condoms you can use that aren't latex?

Thank you Mod-MommaTrish for my gorgeous siggy!!!

August 11th, 2008, 12:18 AM
*Pamela*
I'm not sure what we are going to do. I'm still researching what will be best. I will be nursing hopefully for the first year so that will limit your choices. This will definately be our last baby but still don't think we want anything permanent.

IUD's do release a hormone.

I think step one is to determine if you will be nursing or not and then look at options for each and write each one down. There are lots of sites that give you the pros and cons of each and write those down and narrow the list down to a few that you would be interested in and then speak with your doctor about them.
August 11th, 2008, 06:35 AM
mom 2 haley & tyler's Avatar formerly mommy2haley17
I actually am thinking of gettin my tubes tied when I have the c-section. Not totally sure yet though

August 11th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
I'm basically in the same boat! lol. I hate the hormonal ones because they make me sick. I'm also allergic to latex. I WAS using a spermicide, but I also developed an allergy to that.

I used the trojan supra microsheer polyurethane condoms. They worked really well (we got pregnant when DH decided not to put one on...lol). There was also no burning or itching or other irritation. We'll be using them again after this one is born, and you can bet that DH will be better at making sure he uses them so we don't get another oopsie!

August 11th, 2008, 10:16 AM
*Judy*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am going to have my tubes tied. As for you Rhonda, it sounds like the best bet for you may be the IUD. They have some that are hormonal and others that are not. Your doc will probably have way more options for you.
August 11th, 2008, 11:37 AM
*becky*'s Avatar Mommy to Bailey & Camryn
Tubes tied or vasectomy (sp?) for us.

August 11th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for all your help. I know that when I get closer to december I will be asking more questions to the dr. I really want to breast feed and hoping that will be enough to keep me from O'ing right away but I hear of so many women getting pregnant while bf'ing. Seems like it usually happens when they slow down on bf'ing and start them on solid foods though, so that could buy be a good 6 months right? Also I am kind of thinking that maybe we will just go with the withdrawal method, although not fool proof it might be all we need since I am not miss fertile.

Its worth talking to the dr. about later though. I am sure I won't even feel up to it in the first 6 weeks. I will be too busy watching the little one sleeping and everything.

I think I will want to have at least one more baby before we think about tubes tied or vasectomy though. So we have a few years for that.

August 11th, 2008, 01:18 PM
*Judy*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You know Rhonda at my breast feeding class they said that just because you are breast feeding does not mean you won't ovulate, so don't count on it as your method and think you will be safe. But hey it will always be a gamble huh? Nothing is 100% except absinance...
August 11th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Eleysia's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just wanted to add my two cents lol.

The copper IUD doesnt release any hormones, it just irritates the lining in your uterus so nothing can implant. For some people you bleed often, and some do not. My mother had it and loved it.

Also there are lambskin condoms you could use. They are a little harder to find, but they are effective against pregnancy, just not STD's.

I wanted to BF exclusivly until 6months but my milk dried up at 3 months completly. I even tried Fenugreek to boost my supply. Sometimes even despite the best of intentions, you may not be able to BF as long as you would like, or even at all

August 11th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Quote:
Also there are lambskin condoms you could use. They are a little harder to find, but they are effective against pregnancy, just not STD's.[/b]
The polyurethane ones are actually quite a bit cheaper. They're also thinner, as well. If you're going the non-latex condom route, that's what I'd suggest.

August 12th, 2008, 04:55 AM
Mum2three's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Mum2three
im allergic to latex and when im on the pills i get pretty sick. so i stay away from those 2 completely!

I ended up having my tubes tied. and Dwayne went in to have the big V!! we are so done having kids. But i will say, if your getting your tubes tied dont do it when u have the c-section. its really hard to understand cause your so emotional. I wish i waited.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search