OK, Tell Me

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 20th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Wee3monkeys's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have been so thirsty lately. My max H2O intake is usually around 30-40 oz a day (I know, not great, but it's usually all I can drink). I have been so thirsty the last few days though, yesterday I was right around 60 oz, and today I'm pushing 80+ oz so far. To top that, I'm swelling, my ankles, toes, fingers, etc. Ankles and feet to the point that they're uncomfortable. With all that water I'm drinking though, I shouldn't be swelling like that should I?

TMI, here, but urine is fine color wise, but I'm not going any more frequently than usual. I'm not drinking soda, or having anything unusually salty either. I don't get it. Oh, also it's cooler than usual outside and I haven't done any extra exercise or moving around.

So tell, me, should I be worried, or am I being paranoid?

August 20th, 2008, 02:26 PM
jademyst13's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
About two weeks ago my feet and ankles started doing the same thing. I went to the Dr and she was too worried, but said I may have high blood pressure so they did some bloodwork that I find out about tomorow. I wouldn't be too worried if I was you, but I would make sure to tell your Dr. It does seem that alot of ladies around this same point start complaining of the swelling starting, I honestly thought it was something that started much later in pg.
August 20th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the reassurance Jenn! I've had some swelling so far, but it's usually if I had something salty or it was really hot, or I spent some time on my feet. I usually put my feet up and drink water. But I've had so much water the last couple days, that I wouldn't think I should be swelling. Who knows, I'll ask when I go to the Dr. next week.

My girlfriend thinks I need to go have her check my sugar. She's diabetic, and that was the first thing she said, "those are signs of diabetes." Which was why I was asking you ladies' opinion.

August 20th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
That is what I was thinking when I heard it too, but thats not always the case. I am always so thirsty while pregnant too and my sugars can be running perfectly. So it could just be a regular pregnancy thing. Are you having any of the other classic diabetic signs? Blurred vision, legs cramping, extreme fatigue (more than usual), moody, eating a lot and losing weight?

Just a suggestion though, you could always go over to your friends just after you get up and before you eat anything and check your bloodsugar. A fasting bloodsugar should be under 100. If you can't do that, then I would mention it to the dr. It could be nothing at all, or it could be high blood pressure or even possibly diabetes. Sorry I am not much help am I? lol

August 20th, 2008, 02:52 PM
I'm usually a pretty good drinker, staying at or around 30oz a day (usually a little less), but since I got pg, I'm usually just over 30. The last couple days are the only out of control days, since Sunday I think. As for the other symptoms you mentioned, no, not really. I have been having headaches frequently, so I've started being better about wearing my glasses. Legs crampy, not really, tight feeling like I need to stretch, has pretty much been the norm. Extreme fatigue what's more than usual when pg?? Moody, yes, but that could be pg related. Eating a lot and losing weight, no, try eating a lot and gaining weight.

I can't do the fasting check, she lives about 20 minutes away; she thinks I should come let her check as soon as I'm off of work this evening. She asked about my carb intake today, and yes, it's been a little on the ridiculous side today. I thought about my blood pressure, with my headaches, that's been my thought, but my blood pressure has been perfect at the doctor's office. I do have to run to Walgreen's to pick up my meds, and was considering check my b/p there.

See this is exactly why I was asking for opinions, because I'll worry, if you don't tell me I'm being silly and it's fine.

**Little Update** Now my girlfriend is telling me it's OK, no need to come out and check, just go easy on the carbs tonight, and call my dr tomorrow.

August 20th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree with your friend. Unfortunately a lot of the symptoms of diabetes are all the same as pregnancy signs. lol But the big one would be losing weight or staying the same, also you would feel sick to your stomach especially after eating. It really could just be a hot day affecting you. I don't know how swollen you are, but if you can push on your ankle and it leaves an impression for several minutes then you should call the dr. tomorrow and just let them know. They may want to see you, or they may tell you to just put your feet up.

If your concerned about getting GD, you could easily go on the diet. It is basically 35 carbs per meal x3 meals and 15 carbs for snacks x3. Also making sure you are eating a protein with every meal is important because it helps stabalize the bloodsugars.

Your answers from above kind of make me think that it isn't anything to worry about.

My dr. told me that a little swelling in the summertime is signs of a healthy pregnancy. Now if your ankles swell up and you can't tell where your calf and foot meet then its time to head to the dr. lol

August 21st, 2008, 05:44 AM
mom 2 haley & tyler's Avatar formerly mommy2haley17
I would call the dr just to be on the safe side. KUP

August 21st, 2008, 08:05 AM
I haven't called, I'm pretty sure I'm fine. Just probably a freak out moment when she and another girlfriend said GD, due to my water intake and swelling. It can wait until next week when I have my appointment. Geez anxiety is a pain in the booty, something so small all of a sudden gets out of hand.

August 22nd, 2008, 12:03 PM
victorialv's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I may be totally off, but maybe bc you weren't drinking THAT much water before, that when your body started really needing it (therefore, the unusual thirst), your body decided to hold onto it?

Angels in Heavan.
Helena May, June 28, 2007 & Alexander Michael, October 11, 2007
August 22nd, 2008, 10:43 PM
angelmomjen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to angelmomjen
Hi hon..how are you doing now?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search