We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to email@example.com.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
1. Did you do serial hcgs? I got my blood drawn yesterday but I don't really want to do a follow up hcg. Last time they didn't double correctly and that ended up being a bad sign for me (although a small number of pregnancies have that happen and they are okay). I guess I am taking the "ignorance is bliss" route this time, because I'd rather just assume that everything is fine. I know if I did them and they were good, I'd be relieved. But if they were bad, then there is nothing I can do about it. I'd still be waiting for my 6 week ultrasound to look for a heartbeat. My RE said most people want them done but it is up to me. I am not sure about my decision now.
2. When did you go in for your first ultrasound? My RE wants me in for a 6 week and then an 8 week. And after that I'm going to try and get my OB to give me a later one, unless we can hear it with the doppler, because we lost Thomas after 9 weeks.
I'd like to schedule it for Sept. 8 because my RE is at my local branch on Mondays and it would be easier for Dh to come. I'll be 6 weeks 2 days that day. My RE says that this is far enough along that we should see a heartbeat. It makes me nervous though, knowing I didn't see a heartbeat at around 6 weeks with Thomas, but then I did at 7 weeks. Which I know is probably because there was something wrong all along. I'm torn between wanting to go ahead and schedule it for that time or wanting to wait later to "make sure". Also I'm guessing? maybe the RE has a better ultrasound machine than my OB does. My RE said you can see the heartbeat starting at 5 weeks 5 days.
3. Anyone used Endometrin progesterone suppositories? I'm taking one each night at bedtime since my progesterone was low in my last pregnancy.
I still can't get over how excited I am for you!!!
1. I was bleeding at 5 weeks so I had to have my hcg levels checked, the was the only time I did it. I think, personally that it's more of a stress, but we are all different.
2. I went for my u/s at 6w5d, it was one of the most scary things I done, but it was all worth it at the end. I think having the u/s at 6w is great because at least you see the h/b and the changes of something going wrong start dropping. I have not gotten an u/s since them, I will get one in a month. We did go at 12w to hear the h/b and we are going back in a week, so that's fine with me as long as I can hear or see that everything is ok, I'm happy.
1. I did 3 total hcg's. One to confirm, one two days later and then one at about two weeks later. My hcg was 50 then 150 and then the last one was well over 10,000 so they knew they could do an ultrasound. I think you should do what makes you feel comfortable.
2. I think my first ultrasound was at 6 weeks 5 days. We saw the heartbeat. I went in freaking out though. We then had one in the office at 7 and a half weeks. 8 and half weeks. 12 weeks. 17 weeks was one at the ultrasound place. 20 weeks at the ultrasound place. 26 weeks at ultrasound place. We are scheduled again on Monday. My docs did it just to keep me relaxed. And then 17 weeks I had a little spotting. 20 weeks was a rescan because they couldn't see certain structures. And the same for the 26 weeks. Now we go Monday because they think I'm going to have a 10lb baby. OUCH.
3. They checked my progesterone the first to hcg draws and they were fine so I didn't have to take anything.
I think if you just talk to your dr. about your concerns they will be more than happy to keep you sane during the pregnancy. I know at my 7 and half week appointment I broke down crying and the dr. immediately took me to the ultrasound. They don't seem to like crying crazy pregnant ladies Good luck and congrats on your pregnancy.
1. I had the repeat test done and wish I hadn't, however, at the same time it was the only thing that kept me sane. My numbers went up, but weren't doubling. I can understand why you wouldn't want to have them done again, but my first and second hcg numbers did more than double since it was so early.
2. You could read back about some of my story and they freaked me out with my first u/s. I tell everyone I know now to try to wait until you think you are at least 7 weeks before your first u/s. For me I went in and they saw the fetal pole measuring 6w3 and said they should see the hb by now then. Did my hcg and it was going up but not doubling like it should. Did another u/s 2 days later still saw the same thing. One week later from then the baby had a heartbeat and I was measuring 6w2d. Go figure!! And I just knew I had to be right about when I o'd. I think this baby just implanted a little later than Abby did.
I am sure you will make the right decision for you. If I had to do it over though, I would probably get the hcg draw again but I would wait until at least 7 weeks for an u/s.
What was the first number for you?
Thank you Mistyx5 for my siggy.
I talked to my mom about it and I think I have a game plan.
I think doing another hcg is only going to make me obsess more. If they are good, that would make me happy, but REALISTICALLY it will probably only keep my fears away for a few days, since good numbers don't always mean good outcome. I'm still going to be nervous about that first ultrasound. So I'll pass on this I think. It isn't going to change my plan if the numbers don't double...I'd still be taking the progesterone and waiting for the ultrasound. Now if I start to spot, I might go get another hcg level tested.
Also I think I will try to schedule the ultrasound for 6 weeks 5 days instead of 6 weeks 2 days. I think it will make me feel better to have those extra couple of days to be sure that the heartbeat is going to be there.
I am still waiting to hear from them today about the thyroid and hcg level from yesterday.
I just hate how I have already started to slip into "worry mode" a little bit. Ack! I know it's normal for someone who has had a loss, but I am really trying to force myself to focus on being happy, enjoying my pregnancy, and being positive. My RE said 1 miscarriage doesn't increase the risk of another. She said no gurantees, but this pregnancy will probably be fine.
Edit: They just called. Hcg at 12 dpo was 99! Sounds good to me. TSH was 1.9 and she said that was fine as well.
I scheduled my first ultrasound for Sept. 11.
FUNNY - the receptionist who scheduled the appointment asked me if I knew how many babies I was having. I was like umm...not sure, probably just one. My RE did mention that it was probably just one from the follicle that was 16 mm but she said it was possible that I ovulated the one that was 10 mm as well. I think there's just one in there though.
My experiences almost mirrored Rhonda's.
1 & 2 & 3. (sorry to lump them all together) Went in for u/s at 6wks, saw empty sac. Had hcg it was good, had second hcg, it hadn't doubled. Went back 2 wks later and saw baby (I can't remember if we had a heartbeat here or not, I think not but honestly it's kind of been a blur). But baby was measuring behind by a week. They ran my progesterone which was low, so they started me on injections 2x wk. My Peri was not optimistic. Every week I went back we checked on baby though, and it was just hanging in there. Finally at the end of the 1st trimester my doctor sounds optimistic for me. And here I am.
I think your plan sounds like a really good one! Yes, you are going to be nervous and scared and worry; try to just take one day at a time. You and your bean will make it!! We're here for you, and we'll be praying for you and your little STICKY bean.
Woohoo!! As I was posting, you're update came up too. YAY for a good number!!!! That's great!!! Whatever is in there, I'll be praying it's healthy and sticky!!! YAY SHANNON!!!!!!!! **doing backflips**
I have not read everyone's responses just yet, but here is my experience.
1. Ignorance IS bliss sometimes! I say do whatever you know would make you feel better. Just because you choose not to get a repeat HCG today or tomorrow does not mean you can't have one done next week if you start to get anxious. It doesn't sound like you want one, so go with your heart sweetie! Anyhow, my experience was terrible with my 1st pregnancy, they did not double and I was then convinced it was over. Which it was, but I had more time to dread it coming. Wish I wouldn't have. Then, the next time, everything was going so well in the beginning, that I started freaking that the numbers were going up too fast, and well then I spent hours googling that, and days worrying about it! Not to mention, one of the later tests came back with very little movement in numbers, but we had a heartbeat a few days later?? I was ready to tear my hair out then!
With this pregnancy, I got 'em done again in the beginning, but told myself only a few draws to make sure we are on track, and that's it! It worked out well, but it is agonizing waiting for those results. After that, I decided to do the ignorance is bliss, and it has worked out really well.
2. I went in at 6w2d or 6w3d, and then every 2 weeks for an U/S until I was 12 weeks. If you want to wait though girl, I say go for it. Whatever makes YOU feel better hun!
3. I took pregesterone because it was a little low, and always is. I took it once a day until I was around 11 or 12 weeks and then they tapered me off of it.
Angels in Heavan. Helena May, June 28, 2007 & Alexander Michael, October 11, 2007