Hospital bag list

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 8th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Madison.Hailey.Zack's Avatar Mom of 2 Girls and a Boy!
Here is what I have so far for both Madison and myself for my hospital bag. Anything I'm missing??

Madison's bag
Diapers
Wipes
Coming home outfit
Bottle
Blanket
Pacifier
Socks

My bag
Chap stick
Outfit to come home in
Socks (dont like slippers)
Robe
Shampoo/Conditioner
Toothbrush/Paste
Hair Brush
Makeup Compact
Bar of Soap
Puzzle Book
Phone Charger
Pads
Bra
Nursing Pads
Water Bottles
Book to Read

I dont want to pack any music stuff like cd's or players because I dont really use them now. Also I have a address book in my purse with phone numbers so I'm covered with that. I dont think I will pack snacks and I dont want to pack a nightgown because I dont want it to get all nasty and I dont mind wearing the gowns they provide. So what else am I missing. I am going to pack Madison's bag this week and what I can of mine for now just to be covered. Thankx for all your help.

September 8th, 2008, 06:50 PM
*becky*'s Avatar Mommy to Bailey & Camryn
I packed gum or hard candy since you can't have food. I had a nasty taste in my mouth and they said gum or hard candy was ok since it wasn't food.

Oh and a camera!!

September 9th, 2008, 02:22 AM
*Pamela*
Looks like you're good. You really only need a homecoming outfit for the baby as they proivde everything you need and even though it seems free, you're paying for it through your hospital bill so definately use it and take it home with you.

Also, they don't recommend wipes on a brand new baby and the hospital will give you cotton wool pads, kind of like make up remover pads but bigger or something close to it.

I notice you don't like slippers but one thing to keep in mind is that maternity units are so hot you may not want to wear them ( I don't, but have them packed just in case) but after birth, you're going to be sore and uncomfortable and if you are left to put socks on, you may have a hard time. I recommen slip on slippers that have no heal that way they can go on and off very easily and you don't have to bend over. You can get a cheap pair for about 2 bucks or so and won't be a big loss if you don't use them but very worth having just in case.

You may want to take a pillow as well, they give you one and you can request another but they're not as comfy as home.

I really miss giving birth in the states as they do provide most of what you need, I'm sure you saw in our ddc that I have posted about having to bring everything from towels to nappies to pads, crazy.
September 9th, 2008, 05:04 AM
kalis's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i agree that it is a good idea to take a pillow from home.
i also took a couple of magazines, that helped pass the first handful of hours.

don't forget deoderant - didn't see it on your list
September 9th, 2008, 07:09 AM
*Judy*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Scrunchies for your hair

Like Pamela said you will not need all the stuff for Madison, they will give you wipes and diapers and such. You may not even want to take a bag for her, just her coming home outfit, that is all I packed for her.

Also they will give you these mesh panties to use at the hospital and I would say use them while you are there but have a real pair to come home in because they are NOT the most comfy things in the world, but better than getting all that blood on yourself.

You will need some cash, either for you to hold onto or Mike. So he can get food or what ever without having to leave the hospital. You may be there hours and you don't want him to leave to get food and miss anything.

Also if you forget anything you can always send Mike to get it.

September 9th, 2008, 07:12 AM
*Bobbie*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It's been a loooonnnngggg time since I have done this.... LOL but with Amanda I brought her baby book. They will put a footprint in it for you and I also did a lot of writing in it the night she was born.

On 1/31/12 at exactly 16 weeks pregnant Noah came too soon. He was our 7th loss
If you would like to see pictures of my sweet (but tiny) boy they can be viewed at www.caringbridge.org/visit/noahdarrohn they aren't the easiest pictures to look at but I am willing to share them with anyone who would like to see them <3
On August 2, 2012 we lost Sarah at 17 weeks. She was our 8th loss Her pictures can be viewed at http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/sarahdarrohn
There is no known explanation for my losses.

September 9th, 2008, 08:00 AM
*Pamela*
Ohhhh, good one Bobbie and thanks for reminding me. I took Ethanael's and they did his too but I need to find out if they will do that here.
September 9th, 2008, 08:23 AM
dee68's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to dee68
Quote:
Scrunchies for your hair

Like Pamela said you will not need all the stuff for Madison, they will give you wipes and diapers and such. You may not even want to take a bag for her, just her coming home outfit, that is all I packed for her.

Also they will give you these mesh panties to use at the hospital and I would say use them while you are there but have a real pair to come home in because they are NOT the most comfy things in the world, but better than getting all that blood on yourself.

You will need some cash, either for you to hold onto or Mike. So he can get food or what ever without having to leave the hospital. You may be there hours and you don't want him to leave to get food and miss anything.

Also if you forget anything you can always send Mike to get it.[/b]
thats what I did for Katie also.....
looks like you ave just about everything covered !!!

I packed snacks though for me....

September 9th, 2008, 09:17 AM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
I disagree with Pamela about the hot maternity rooms. I was FREEZING, although that might have been a side effect from the epi. I was so glad I had two pairs of socks!

I would suggest lotion too. The air in my room was very dry and made my skin very itchy. I didn't have any lotion with Cora, and was miserable. But Matt mentioned it to a friend who called who was going to bring him lunch, and she brought me 3 different kinds. = I brought my own bottle with Erin and was very glad I had it.

Also, my hospital didn't give me the wool pad things. They gave me wipes, and scented ones at that, and poor Erin's skin was so red until I made DH go pick up some unscented ones.

Also, I did NOT like the pads that the hospital gave me. I actually leaked more with those than the Always Long Overnights that I brought with me.

September 9th, 2008, 09:50 AM
*Pamela*
That is a side effect Brittanie. I hope I wasn't misunderstood, I didn't say not to take socks just that she might not want them on. I'm planning on taking thick socks just in case I do need them too because you never know.

That's horrible about the wipes, you think they would know better. Poor baby, hate to see them irritated like that.

The hospital here is so so hot, I felt dizzy during our tour. It didn't help that I had on a long sleeve top and jeans. Was worth getting the tour though.
September 9th, 2008, 03:24 PM
Eleysia's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Id bring some tylenol in case they wein you off meds and youre still in pain. also i brought a razor, it was the best feeling in the world to sit in their (handicap) shower and shave my legs. it made me feel pretty again for some reason.

September 9th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Wow...I'm envious of you ladies who have hospitals that supply the basic for you. I had to bring everything when I had Makenna...including my own pads!

I also packed our laptop since the hospital had free wireless internet and that's how we announced her arrival and sent photos to everybody. Also, don't forget a hat for the baby and a receiving blanket or 2. They loose a lot of body heat through their heads. Your DH will appreciate some snacks packed and don't forget to pack your DH a bag too. He'll appreciate the toothbrush, soap, brush, and snacks to feel refreshed since he'll be with your the entire time and probably be feeling a bit funky after a day. You'll also want some snacks for you once baby is born. I had Makenna just after breakfast was delivered and missed out and was beyond hungry until a kind nurse scrounged up a pitiful muffin and a carton of juice.

DH got to room in with me so we also packed his pillow and a change of clothes.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search