May be a dumb question

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 18th, 2008, 01:40 PM
princesskate's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am sorry if this is a real dumb question, but what is progesterone and what does it do I dont even know what mine is because they dont test you for it here

My first weight loss goal is to lose 21lbs, which is 10% of my body weight
September 18th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Wee3monkeys's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was waiting for someone more knowledgable than I to answer your question, Kate. But I didn't want it to sit here forever without a response. Here's what i know, and it's not much, K.

Progesterone is a natural hormone that your body produces during your menstrual cycle (although it does a lot of other things for your body as well), but it is one of the key hormones that supposedly readies your body to accept and maintain a pregnancy. There is much debate between physicians as to the benefits of giving women progesterone supplements to help them support a pregnancy initially. Some doctors are all for it, others don't think it does anything (I think it depends on how your body reacts to the added supplement). Anyway, if you're progesterone levels are low at the start of a pregnancy, there is a very high chance that your body won't maintain it. I do believe a level of 12 or 13 is acceptable, my perinatologist wanted to see a level over 12 w/ me, and I can't remember what it was, but it wasn't even close. So he relented and started me on progesterone injections (he's not really a believer in progesterone supplements and doesn't mess w/ it orally or in suppositories, although those are the more common forms). And here I am, so I think it worked. There's quite a few ladies here who have been on supplements in their first trimester and made it through, I really do think it makes a difference. If there's a question about levels, it really doesn't make sense not to at least try it as it is not harmful in the least.

So that's my input. You can check this out too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progesterone And I know there are other sources of information out there as well. I hope that helped a bit. If you are so inclined, and your physician is the kind that listens, you could request to have it done with your second beta draw. It may ease some of your worries, and if it's low you could request a supplement.

September 18th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Pitridge's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I did not want to answer because I do not have imput. I don't think my doctor ever checked my levels, if she did she never said. Sorry I don't have anything to add.

September 18th, 2008, 03:11 PM
I don't think they normally check it, unless you have had some type of problem in the past. Recurrent m/c would be one of those problems that may lead them to check it. Talk to your doctor about it Kate, it may be beneficial to you in the anxiety department to just know those kinds of things. KWIM?

September 18th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Thanks ladies, I just wondered what it is as I have seen so many women on here saying they had their levels done ect ect. And I thought 'hey up, why dont they do that here?'

I am not overly bothered about having mine checked, I was just curious as to what it is and does. I guess if the doctor was worried he would have checked hem right See over here you dont even get your beta hcg done as a rountine....there HAS to be a reason for yout o have it done. Our healthcare system is so different

September 18th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Quote:
Thanks ladies, I just wondered what it is as I have seen so many women on here saying they had their levels done ect ect. And I thought 'hey up, why dont they do that here?'

I am not overly bothered about having mine checked, I was just curious as to what it is and does. I guess if the doctor was worried he would have checked hem right See over here you dont even get your beta hcg done as a rountine....there HAS to be a reason for yout o have it done. Our healthcare system is so different[/b]
Yup, I understand. They don't normally run the beta's over here either. There's usually a reason to do it, check for a viable pg, recurrent loss, mom specifically wants it, etc. Usually under "normal" circumstances they'd pee test you at your doctor's office and that's it.

September 18th, 2008, 04:19 PM
The only time that I had my Beta's check was because I was spotting, otherwise I wouldn't have them done.

September 18th, 2008, 04:32 PM
They dont even do a pee test here You have to do 2 tests at home, and if they are both + you then book in to see the midwife.

September 18th, 2008, 04:34 PM
Quote:
They dont even do a pee test here You have to do 2 tests at home, and if they are both + you then book in to see the midwife.[/b]

This time around, my doctor's office told me that they would take my word for it.

September 18th, 2008, 04:39 PM

September 18th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to tracalyn Send a message via MSN to tracalyn Send a message via Yahoo to tracalyn
If you go to an RE (or at least my RE), they do progesterone checks to see if/when you are O'ing and again a week after IUI is done to make sure your level is ok in case you are preggo. As long as AF doesn't show, they do a beta roughly 2 weeks after the IUI. I'm so tired of needles, it's not even funny.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search