BTDT MOMS.............HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 8th, 2008, 11:37 AM
dee68's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to dee68
well I thought the colic was gone.....but the last few nights Katie has been screaming and crying, full of gas....nothing helps her.
I am seriously wondering if she has a lactose allergy. I do not think it is a full blown milk allergy...no rash, no diarrhea....
but I have read lactose problems mimic colic.....and produce green stools...she has that.

I have 3 cans of Lactofree Enfamil.....should I give it a shot?? she is happy all day.....then by her last bottle.....forget it!
she wakes up in the am just as happy as can be !!!

any other moms deal with lactose allergies? how did you baby act? what formula did you try?

I asked our pediatrician about it before...and she says it was colic.....but who knows??? Katie goes back on the 25 th..

any help would be appreciated !!

October 8th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Mum2three's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Mum2three
awe poor girl!!

I would say give the other milk a shot. whats the harm right? theres gotta be something that will help her.
My mom said that my brother had colic really bad and at 4 months old she was placing him on Homo milk and the colic was gone! she started to feed him pablum off of a spoon it helped his tummy with the gas. Do not overfeed! Stick to your baby's regular feeding schedule. Food allergies and emotional stress can aggravate colic. my mom found to that infant massage worked really good for my brother, cause he was really bad with colic. and even dancing with him she would crank the music and just dance. And her famous thing was and i remember this, was she had a snuggy and my brother lived in it. she had him close to her chest all the time. she found that the movement would soothe him and wouldnt cry.

What about getting Katie into some sort of swimming? here they h ave a mom and babe swimming class, and mabey it something to help Katie???

Big Hugs momma! you deserve them, your a great parent to Miss Katie.

October 8th, 2008, 12:09 PM
we dance, we walk...we do the bicycle thing with her legs, we massage....nothing helps .....she screamed so much & got so hot (NO fever though!!)I had to strip her down and put a luke warm washcloth on her to soothe her...she did like that.
I am also wondering if all of the added DHA in EVERYTHING is a problem too.....why do they have to put it everywhere??? suppose babies can not tolerate it?? it is MANUFACTURED for goodness sake! it is NOT natural!! sorry for the mini rant, but it makes me mad

October 8th, 2008, 12:27 PM
Mum2three's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Mum2three
no worries hun...i know the formula stuff Makenna was on was no DHA into it. it was from superstore. im not sure if you have superstore in the US, but it was their brand of formula. I will try to figure out things to try for you to. i will call my mom tonight and see if she knows anymore. every picture my mom has of Jake his mouth is open, (crying) it was bad!!!

i will try to help you out..

October 8th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Danielley08's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My youngest Keegan did the same thing his whole first 6 weeks of life that I was home on maternity leave with him...I'd literally stay up all night rocking him and crying right along with him...I went to the docs and they said colic...2 weeks later I went back and they suggested changing his formula...we went from the regular Enfamil to ProSoBee...we didn't qualify for WIC so we got the Parent's Choice Soy at Wal-Mart...

It was like a whole new baby was in my house...he immediately started sleeping through night...his poops started to get better...he didn't cry as much...it was all about the Soy...the docs said he was lactose intolerant...when we changed him to regular milk at 12 months he went on Lactaid (lactose free milk) and he drank that until he was 2...but then we started introducing him to yogurt and cheese and he handled it well and now that he is 2 and a half he can drink regular milk (and LOVES cheese!!!)

I would at least give the ProSoBee a chance...or if you dont mind saving a few bucks trying the Parent's Choice...it is a bit thicker than Enfamil but that just means you have to shake the bottle a bit longer...(and its like $10 cheaper!!)

Hope this helps...

(Boys' birthdays are backwards...lol)
~Thank you to claire1979 for my siggy~
October 8th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Generally Crispy
Quote:
I would at least give the ProSoBee a chance...or if you dont mind saving a few bucks trying the Parent's Choice...it is a bit thicker than Enfamil but that just means you have to shake the bottle a bit longer...(and its like $10 cheaper!!)

Hope this helps...

[/b]
When we went to formula we went to prosoybee and then to Parents Choice because you got a huge can for less than the price of the small prosoybee can. My daughter did great on it. I did remember having to shake harder. My sisters babies were all fed the Parents Choice and have all done great too.
October 8th, 2008, 02:30 PM
kellyanne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I second (or third or whatever) changing formula! My DD was breastfed, but I watched my nephew and he had major problems with formula. For him it was constipation on Similac, improvement w/ Parent's Choice but problems still, puking w/ soy, and FINALLY happy baby with Nestle Goodstart.

Good luck....and for staying up all night with a screaming baby.

3 angels Feb, Mar, Aug of 2008
October 8th, 2008, 03:07 PM
thank you all so much !!!

we have tried Nestle and it just doesnt seem to agree with her......she does OK with Enfamil Gentle ease....but still has episodes at night...
we did try Parents Choice Gentle...and the last can we bought, she spit up terrible.....I premixed the bottles & the formula separated like it was spoiled or something...
I have read that Walmart has been selling outdated formula...and I am just leary of them right now.
so we started the Enfamil Lactofree today...we'll see how she does the next few days...then we will most likely try the Prosobee...
I may just buy it just to have it.....
I swear my pantry is FULL of new cans of formula that we wont use.....

October 8th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Ethan was a colicky baby for 4 months and it was hell! I am so sorry you are still going through it dee I would definitely switch to the soy formula, I hope that fixes it!
October 8th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Frozendesire's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Frozendesire
Just a thought and keep in mind I bf and did the occasional enfamil bottle for Curtis and he had no issues... so I have NO experience but...

What about the bottle? Could that be a problem? or maybe part of it??

Just trying to think of all the possibilities so you and baby can get some sleep and more smiles!!

October 8th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Quote:
Just a thought and keep in mind I bf and did the occasional enfamil bottle for Curtis and he had no issues... so I have NO experience but...

What about the bottle? Could that be a problem? or maybe part of it??

Just trying to think of all the possibilities so you and baby can get some sleep and more smiles!![/b]
we use Playtex Drop ins....so I know she doesn't get any air in there.....but thanks for asking !!

October 9th, 2008, 05:55 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Here's my story with DS. He was 100% breastfed and had similiar issues.

First night he was great slept 5 hours (would have been more if it wasn't for the hospital). Nursed and went back to sleep.
Second night, he was MISERABLE. I honestly thought about sending him back to the nursery but didn't.
Third night on, he would scream bloody murder. We tried gas drops, warm compresses on the belly (does work btw), and sleeping upright. Nothing worked.

Around day 10, I finally wondered if it was milk. From day 10 through day 15, he continued to be miserable. Around day 15, he stopped screaming. However he did break out in a rash. Took us another 2 months to realize, he's allergic to soy. As soon as I removed all soy from my diet (along with all milk), he was the happiest baby.

Around month 6, we introduced cereal. Guess what most cereals have in them, soy. Too me forever to find one that was milk and soy free.
Around month 12, the pedi really wanted us to try yogurt. We tried and immediately got runny poop and he was miserable again. I started buying lactose free milk (I prefer the land o lakes brand which is what I drank for the entire time I was nursing him) for him also. We tried a few days of it however gas returned. Every 2-3 months, we would try another day of milk. Eventually he adjusted and now at 2.5, he also loves milk (esp chocolate), can eat cheese and can handle even ice cream.

Moral: don't just assume it one thing. My pedi does not like soy and prefer to try lactose free first. I've also read that soy for boys isn't the best for fertility later. It will take up to a full week to get rid of milk in the system. I know it took 4 days to get out of me before I really saw a huge difference. So don't just assume after a day, it's not working. Wait a week. I also wouldn't change more than 1 thing at a time and wait a few days between them.

Be careful of solids are you are introducing them. Read labels. It's amazing how much have milk and soy in them.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search