Intro/My doctor :(

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 5th, 2006, 04:05 AM
LeedaRenee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi all, I know a lot of you from TTC after miscarriage or Pregnancy loss, but to those I dont know, My name is Renee. I am 24 years old and a nurse in the NICU. Hubby and I have been married for about 2 months now, but have been together for over 5 years. I had a miscarriage at 8 weeks back in september, and never thought anything could be so devastating. I found out a few days ago that I am PG and very excited, but also very nervous.

Which leads me to my first post here. The doctor that I had when I suffered my miscarriage was great. I switched doctors when my baby had a heartbeat in the 40s and found Dr. C, who practices at the hospital where I work. She was so much nicer and particular about how she wanted things done. I called yesterday to make my first appointment and the secretary told me that Dr. C would be leaving in February, which would mean I could see her one time. She's going to baton rouge, which is where she is from. The secretary asked me if I would like to be set up with another doctor. I asked if there were any more female docs available (I prefer females) and she said the ones they had were not accepteing any new OB patients

I went ahead and made an appointment with some man, who I later heard was a real jerk. Luckily, one of my fellow nurses pulled a few strings and got me an appointment with a well renown female doc. So I am very happy, but would still prefer my original doctor considering that she knows my history and all. I hope I like this new lady. My first appointment is in February when I am about 8 weeks. It will be all pins and needles until then!
January 5th, 2006, 08:34 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Congratulations! I'm sorry about your doctor, pregnancy after a loss is hard enough as it is. Just remember that there is more than one great doctor in the world and you might end up liking this new one just as much. I hope everything goes well!

"Nothing in this world worth having is easy"
January 5th, 2006, 08:49 AM
soontobemommyto3
I'm sorry your DR left That stinks. I hope you like your new one.

I had to decide if I wanted to stay with my DR or not. I finally decided it wasn't his fault I lost my baby and he did an excellent job with my other two kids so I stayed with him. My mom was a little put off by that, I guess she thought I'd get a new doctor. But I know this DR so well and he didn't even charge me for the loss of Cassie - I mean that was pretty cool on his part.

Anyhow, I hope it works out for you with the new DR.
January 6th, 2006, 05:18 AM
Rina42308's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi there...I kinda snickered at "I made an appt w/some man"...you soundn like me! I have always been biased about males drs since I had one when I was a teenager tell me "that's what you get for being a woman" when I experienced a ruptured ovarian cyst. Jerk...
When i got pg the first time 2 ladies in my office recommended their OB. I went to him. he was nice enough but not all that attentive. he treated me and my loss as "just one of those things" and every time we did an ultra sound he would say "cross your fingers" which really made me want to kick him in the b#$%s!
After my first loss I changed dr's to one of his woman associates. She is so wonderful! I absolutely adore her. Unfortunately I ended up m/c again but she herself was adamant in finding out why. She sent me for multiple tests and when I met my b/f's dr he was sent to for a sperm analysis she encouraged me to use him too "best in the feild " she said (they did their residency together).
I was a bit reluctant because he was the M word..a MAN...but trusted her advice so I did. he was absoluetly amazing. Found my problem with his eye on the u/'s...something no other dr had seen. He did an additional test on me for no charge. When i told my female OB that he foudn the septum and wanted to perform surgery she encouraged me to have him do it and no one else...she said, "he knows what he's doing, you have one shot...i would never tell you I could do this surgery as well as him and place your fertility in jeapordy that way." She photocopied herself all my records he would need and didn't charge me for them (usually a $25 charge)...I had the surgery done and when it was all over Dr Wilcox (the "man") said to me, "this is why I do my job...to give patients like you back the gift to conceive a healthy baby"...he made me cry...
I'm telling you this story to let you know Dr. Wilcox has shown me that even a man can be empathetic, can realize the importance of needing to conceive and deliver a healthy baby...he understood the magnitude of depression m/c's can have a\on a woman. So although i had my female dr backing me up...this guy was amazing.
I am happy you have a female dr now so that you may be more comfortable but just in case a man has to ever see you, know there are "some " good ones out there LOL!
Good luck...please let us know how your first appt goes!

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." -Margaret Mead
January 6th, 2006, 07:43 AM
Hehe norina, you've got me pegged. Well, I dont really midn having a man if he is competent, but these are the things I've heard about him: He and another nurse who I abhor who works in the term nursery once worked on the L&D floor and got busted for stealing medicine, they were both junkies. They both went to rehab and are now legit.
Now, that in itself would not make stay away from him, but I also found out that several ladies who worked with him went to the head of OB because apparently, he was making some racial remarks about the minority women who were his patients. Also, they claimed he said that he would try to be more rough with women of color when doing their physical exams. I just cant take that chance.
January 6th, 2006, 09:57 AM
soontobemommyto3
Quote:
Hehe norina, you've got me pegged. Well, I dont really midn having a man if he is competent, but these are the things I've heard about him: He and another nurse who I abhor who works in the term nursery once worked on the L&D floor and got busted for stealing medicine, they were both junkies. They both went to rehab and are now legit.
Now, that in itself would not make stay away from him, but I also found out that several ladies who worked with him went to the head of OB because apparently, he was making some racial remarks about the minority women who were his patients. Also, they claimed he said that he would try to be more rough with women of color when doing their physical exams. I just cant take that chance. [/b]

OMG Where do you live? That is horrible that kind of stuff even exists!!! I am mortified. One of the things I love about where I live is it is so freaking liberal here we never have to deal with things like that. I probably live in one of the most politically correct and tolerant places in the world. Sheesh. He should have his license revoked for so many reasons....
January 6th, 2006, 10:01 AM
Oh my Gosh!! that is beyond forgivable! I am sooooooooooooooo glad you got an appt with the famle instead! What a jerk (i'd call him bettr but the board will bleep it out
tell us how your fist appt goes!!

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." -Margaret Mead
January 6th, 2006, 10:44 AM
Blessings B's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
welcome and congrats on new babe. I look forward to getting to know you. Congrats again. B
January 7th, 2006, 01:36 PM
I live in Mississippi, big surprise, huh?

Anyway, I am thinking about getting some levels drawn, I hope they let me come in to get that done before my first appointment.
January 7th, 2006, 04:30 PM
soontobemommyto3
Quote:
I live in Mississippi, big surprise, huh?

Anyway, I am thinking about getting some levels drawn, I hope they let me come in to get that done before my first appointment.[/b]

Well move to San Francisco, I can assure you that would never happen here! I'm sure they will let you do some betas.

By the way, I don't know if I told you how happy I am that you are pregnant. I was so sad when you left to take your break. I understood, but I alway enjoyed your posts. I'm glad you are back and pregnant
January 8th, 2006, 05:43 AM
Aww, thanks, susan...you ladies are so sweet, how could I stay away for long?
January 8th, 2006, 08:02 AM
Leeda I was sad too buecause your posts to me were always so thougthful and articulate...that's why i secretly read your posts here Anyway, I live in LA and although that kind of garbage is not as apparent as I would assume it be in Mississippi, I'd have to admit I have experienced some discrimination and witnessed it as well myself here...anyone see that movie "Crash"...I swear that is a great snapshot of life in LA...
Sorry got off topic a bit. leeda, let us know your numbers...i got mine drawn on Friday and am going to go back tomorrow for another set so that when I see my dr on Wed she can compare the two. I feel I am so on top of my game! Last night though I went to p/u my prenatal vitamins and the pharmacy was already closed...I started crying...yup pg alright, hormones kicking in! when i got to the car I realized they closed 10 min earlier than they were suppose to...I was about to go in and make a fuss when I realized I was too emotional...i probably would have yelled...so I drove home and am going back this morning...
Funny how after a m/c you think of all kinds of things to do to feel as if you are in control huh?

January 8th, 2006, 08:19 AM
Norina, I have not seen "Crash" but have heard DH talk about it. I will have to make an effort to see it.

That really sucks that the pharmacy closed early. I mean, what if it had been something life threatening? And I know that it would make you feel tons better to have started your prenates as soon as you can. I was upset the other night because I fell asleep (for a 30 minute "nap" ) and woke up the next morning. I have been taking my prenates at night and did not that time. You should've seen me rushing to the kitchen that morning and choking down a pill. Silly , huh?

When you go back in the morning, I would mention that they had closed early. My hubby claims I like to pick fights though, so that might not be the right thing to do , but gosh, I would've been so mad had I been you.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search