BTDT moms

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 22nd, 2008, 08:26 AM
Mega Super Mommy
What did your babies wear for the first month? Should I have a ton of onesies or those side snap shirts? What sizes did yours wear...and how much did they weigh at birth? With it being winter here, will I be dressing her in a onesie under her other clothes? I feel so clueless!! I also just realized that I don't have any newborn size onesies, but she might be a big baby..just don't know what I should do. Help!!!

November 22nd, 2008, 08:46 AM
Danica's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Naden was 8 lbs. When he was first born he actually fit into preemie clothes for the first week or so and then he fit in 0-3. He wore onesies during the day and at night I put him in the nighties that are open at the bottom with elastic (like long gowns). That was so nice for the nighttime changing. No worrying about snaps. I would also use those sleep sacks that zipped from top to bottom. I guess I just really hated snaps so I wanted the fastest access for changing diapers at night. When we went out I would put a onesie on him with soft pants and maybe a zip up sweater if it was cold and then I'd just cover his carseat with a blanket when we were walking from the car to the store/restaurant/doctor. I always had a beanie on him too for his head when we went out. I also had one of those car seat nano bags that is like a sleeping bag to keep him real warm on snowy days but I didn't use it that often.

edited to add: I'd also buy one of those swaddle blankets that have the velcro to hold it in place. Most babies will easily roll or eventually kick out of a blanket if it's used for swaddling and if you have one that stays put they'll stay warm all night long.

November 22nd, 2008, 08:52 AM
Mum2three's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Mum2three
Sleepers and onesies are the best thing for babies for the first month. Just cause they grow so much. Have a few outfits for visiting ppl or what not. Alex was 8lbs and had 0-3 month clothing at birth. Jaiden was 11 lbs at birth and was in 6 month clothing from birth. LOL. Makenna was the tiniest at 6lbs 14 oz. And she just came out of 3 month sleepers. She was in Preemie stuff from birth. When its winter please put a undershirt/onesie under her clothing. Theres to many drafts that can make her sick. Did they say on the u/s she would be a big baby? If not i wouldnt worry about it. I would just get some preemie stuff and 0-3month sleepers and onesies..Dont worry we all have been there.

November 22nd, 2008, 09:16 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Makenna was born in September and was 7.3lbs. I was expecting a large baby but was shocked to find out she was small and wore NB size clothes the first month and I always had a onesie under her clothes (daytime and nightime) until May and she was 8 months old. She wore sleepers at night, but I had her in clothes during the day. I don't like sleepers on babies during the day. I don't wear my pj's around the house all day and neither does my DD. I had her in one piece rompers until her cord stump fell off, and loose fitting elastic pants and long sleeve onesie tops and sweaters after that. We went out a lot so I had her in various outfits (i.e. jeans, dresses, skirts, etc) from the very beginning.

At night I had her in a cotton sleeper and a onesie and we had her in the Miracel Blanket (THE BEST SWADDLING BLANKET EVER!!!). There's no way a baby can get out of it and there's no velcro or snaps. Also make sure baby has a hat on especially the first month. It's amazing how much body heat they loose through the top of the head. Everytime we left the house, even when is was nice out she always had a hat on.
November 22nd, 2008, 11:11 AM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
It was actually really hot when Erin was born, so she spent a lot of time in nothing BUT a onesie. I occasionally put pants over them when we went out. She was 6lbs14oz at birth, but was long and skinny. She grew out of the length of stuff a lot faster than the width.

I'm planning on putting baby brother in mostly onesies and sleepers, simply because that's what I have. I haven't been able to do much clothes shopping...

November 22nd, 2008, 12:33 PM
*Judy*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hey Rhonda,
Ellie was 8lbs. 10 oz. For the first moth or so she spent most of her time in little outfits that were one piece, long sleeved, with feet. Not really sleepers as they had collars. You will most likely not use the long sleeve t shirts. IMO it is better to invest in long sleeve onesies. Ellie sleeps in a long sleeve onesie and we swaddle her. Also we sometimes put her in a long sleeve onesie in a fleece sleep sac.
November 22nd, 2008, 02:05 PM
akafrogs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Since I was co-sleeping, holding, or nursing her most of the time, I didn't put hats on her or dress her too warm because she always had my body heat. (Gretchen was born at the end of October) I didn't use onsies much, because they just annoyed me, unless they were part of the outfit. I used a lot of gowns, sleep sacks (the kind with sleeves that just zipped up), and sleepers. And if you plan to use the infant carrier carseat, make sure you have a bundle me type of thing. They are so warm and you don't need much more then that and a hat on them (well, in regular clothes, but not coats or anything.
November 22nd, 2008, 02:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for the help girls. I was going through all of the clothes that we have for her and found out that I didn't have any newborn size of anything. I was told at the hospital that she was measuring 4 weeks ahead and that she weighed 6lbs 6oz, almost 3 weeks ago...but this past tuesday at the dr.'s office they did an u/s and said she was measuring 1 week ahead and weighing 6lbs 3oz. I believe the dr.'s office more since that is where all of the u/s have been. The hospital must over estimate often. Anyways no matter what I am kind of expecting her to be over 7lbs, but she could be over 8lbs. Thats why I was wondering if 0-3months might be too big on her if she is under 8lbs. Or will nb size be too small if she is 8lbs? Oh well, now I got a couple of NB, many of 0-3, and some for 3-6mo. I think I am ready now!! lol

I have some of the sleep sacks, some of the gowns, some sleepers, and some onesies with little matching pants. So about the cord...do the clothes bother it at all? Is it good to wear the onesies all of the time until the cord falls off? Are snaps or zippers better? How long does it take for the cord to fall off?

Wow I guess I have tons of questions, maybe I am not really ready yet!!!

November 22nd, 2008, 02:44 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
I think the cord issues happen more with the diapers than with the clothes. I can't remember, are you going to be using cloth or disposable?

It takes about 2 weeks for it to fall off. It feel of 2 weeks to the day with Erin.

November 22nd, 2008, 02:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Disposable for me. Dont you just tuck the diaper in a little bit or something?

November 22nd, 2008, 03:09 PM
angelmomjen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to angelmomjen
Nathan weighed 5lb15oz and came home in preemie cloths. By the time he was 8lbs he was in newborn cloths, most of his 0-3m still are way to big. I put a onsie under his cloths when its cold. I say yes get the NB onsies and sleepers. Also it was three weeks b4 his cord fell off.
November 22nd, 2008, 06:53 PM
dee68's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to dee68
Quote:
Disposable for me. Dont you just tuck the diaper in a little bit or something?[/b]
just roll it down a little and it should be fine...I think huggies newborn actually has a little "cut out" for the cord...

Katie came off in like 10 days...

Onesies onesies onesies ! LOL......sleepers are great too...

Katie was 8lb 6 oz....when she got home she was 7lb 11 oz.....and it was summer time so she was in onesies alot with little pants, or sleep gowns....

you want babies to be warm enough but please not TOO warm.....it may cause problems from what I have read....
you will see that sizes vary with different brands also...its a pain !!

Gerber stuff runs small.....Carter's and First Years, run more true to ages,also Garanimals are great size wise too.
I personally wouldnt get too many NB clothing OR diapers for that matter.
Katie is in 6-9 months clothing, but SOME 3 month stuff fits!!
and size 3 diapers! My baby is growing soooo fast !!

0-3 months is great to start...and some size 1 diapers.

You will be fine mama !!!!! you'll be a pro in NO time!!!!

November 22nd, 2008, 09:16 PM
victorialv's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am right there with you Rhonda, I am so confused on all this baby wear!! There are WAY too many choices! I have a ton of stuff and am going to make due with what I have. Hopefully, it will be fine. The rest can wait.

Angels in Heavan.
Helena May, June 28, 2007 & Alexander Michael, October 11, 2007

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search