who will be / was with you in the delivery room?

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 26th, 2008, 12:45 PM
dee68's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to dee68
Mick was supposed to be....but since it was an emergency and I had to be put under...he couldn't be there...

November 26th, 2008, 01:03 PM
ShannonMVT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
For sure my Dh. I'm kind of iffy about whether I want my mom in there (and I don't know if she would want to be or not). I just think that once the baby comes out, I want Dh to go with the baby. And *hopefully* baby will be brought to me pretty quickly. But if not for whatever reason, I'd like for someone to be there with me while I am waiting. I don't know if that make sense.

November 26th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Pitridge's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Dh will be the only there, we are working on a birth plan, so far we got nowhere

November 26th, 2008, 01:11 PM
MamaTTx2's Avatar Super Mommy
People in room with me while in labor with DS: mom, mom's boyfriend, 12-year-old female cousin, baby dad, baby dad's mother.
People in room with me while DELIVERING DS: baby dad

This time around: I am not sure if the hospital still lets you have that many people in there with you. I would like to have my mom and her boyfriend and DH. I absolutely know already that once it is time to push my DD out that DH will be the only one in the room with me!

Kaylee Rose (born April 13, 2009)
Ethan Lucas (5 yrs. old)
November 26th, 2008, 01:13 PM
victorialv's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Just DH and I, although my mom has hinted that she wants to be there, but once it comes time to pushing, everybody is getting kicked out. I would be embarrassed if my hoo-ha was out there for all to see.....but, I am pretty private about that stuff. I wouldn't even let a doctor in training come in at my last appt when they did the Strep B test....lol....

Angels in Heavan.
Helena May, June 28, 2007 & Alexander Michael, October 11, 2007
November 26th, 2008, 01:20 PM
mom 2 haley & tyler's Avatar formerly mommy2haley17
Only dh!!

November 26th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My mom and DH were in the room with me during labour (and we had a huge waiting room full of people who spen the night waiting). My MIL and my middle sister visited me while I was in the L&D triage before I got to my room. When it came time to push it was just DH. My mom and DH were a huge support system for me and I hope to have my mom in there again. Honestly, I don't care who's in my room during labour but I only want DH while I'm pushing.
November 26th, 2008, 02:24 PM
ShannonMVT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
For those with Dhs in the room, when you are pushing, will he be by you/your head or will he be down at the business end? My Dh doesn't actually want to watch the baby come out. Me either, no mirror for me.

And just curious for those who only want their Dh when it comes time to push, may I ask why? Because you feel it is a private moment for just you and Dh? Or because you don't want anyone besides Dh watching you go through that? Or some other reason?

November 26th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Pitridge's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
For me, it's that 1) I don't want the whole world to watch me give birth, it's a private moment 2)We are taking the bradley method class so he knows what to do (i hope so) . Dh does not want to see the baby coming out either and he also doesn't want to cut the cord (which I thought he would, he might change his mind)

November 26th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Generally Crispy
Just me and the Hubby and whatever staff needs to be there. Im not completelt comfortable with too many people being there. If I get to push then it will just be us. If I go C section, I am a bit more open to someone else beingt here too...but not sure who.
November 26th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
For those with Dhs in the room, when you are pushing, will he be by you/your head or will he be down at the business end? My Dh doesn't actually want to watch the baby come out. Me either, no mirror for me.

And just curious for those who only want their Dh when it comes time to push, may I ask why? Because you feel it is a private moment for just you and Dh? Or because you don't want anyone besides Dh watching you go through that? Or some other reason?[/b]
When I was pushing DH was actually holding one of my legs. I don't know where he was looking and didn't really care either. As for why only DH being in there while I push, it's because I don't need well-intention family memebers to give their input and tell me what to do while I listen and respond to my body. I have enough to focus on and too many "cooks in the kitchen" isn't my idea of fun.
November 26th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Sabina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had Dh and my step mom in the room while labouring and while pushing. DH was good at the emotional support and stuff but he's not good at taking care of me like a Mom can. I was really glad that my Step Mom was there and I want her in there with me again. She was MAKING me do stuff while in labour to distract me and I think if she was there right from the start I may have held off on the epi a little longer. She also took care of me when I was physically breaking down with a fever and lots of pain. She was putting cold wash cloths on me and stuff and hot packs. She didn't do anything in the delivery room (they almost didn't let her in) but it was great to have her. DH and I were so caught up in moment we weren't taking pics or anything. She took a ton of pics (I have pics of him right after he is born on my belly!) and even video (the pedi kept yelling at her but she kept on trying) and I know some ppl that only had DH and they don't have those pics. I really think they are priceless and I would suggest having a third person for that reason. Someone that will capture your moment.

Oh and DH and my Step Mom were not allowed to watch at my hoo ha end b/c NICU was there to take him. They were only allowed to watch from my head so they were out of the way. When they took Benjamin away DH went with him (I told him to go with him and watch him like a hawk) and my Step Mom and Dad came in and kept me company. That was nice. It was like my Dad was taking care of his daughter and DH was taking care of his son. It let me relax to know that DH was with him the whole time.
November 27th, 2008, 05:54 AM
Danica's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had Travis and my mom in during Naden's delivery. Honestly I regret not having my dad in the room. I know he would have strategically filmed the birth and now I feel like I missed out on capturing it on video. I didn't invite my dad in the room because I didn't want my MIL and FIL and Gma to feel left out. They were wall there with me at the hospital but left the room for delivery. If I wanted the hospital would have let me keep them all in. Honestly I wouldn't care if they all stayed in except for my FIL. That is just too weird for me. I could have cared less if the girls or my dad saw my parts. I still run around my parents house naked when I visit. No big deal.

For meatballs's delivery I think I'll have Travis and Mom and dad in the room filming. I don't care much about hurting anyone's feelings this time. That is if they can time their travel correctly and be here at the right moment. Otherwise it may just me me and Travis

November 27th, 2008, 05:58 AM
madmum_sarah's Avatar formally sarah_the_sane_1
with ian my mum and his dad
with ewan his dad and MIL outside waiting
with kyle his dad and MIL outside (not that she had to wait long but she still annoyed me just being there!
with louie his dad had to go back to orkney so i was left with my other MIL (his step mum)
with sadie... a student midwife although it was a speedy nightmare, it was my most relaxed and enjoyable birth!
with this one, probably on my own again unless i have prior warning in which case i will ask my BFF jane if she can get her lazy butt DH to look after kids and come with me.

Friends are the family you choose yourself and I love my JM sisters!
November 27th, 2008, 05:59 AM
Danica's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Shannon: DH and mom were both at my head holding each hand at times. I did have a mirror because I wanted to see (it really helped me with pushing actually). The only time Travis had an issue was at one point. The doctor basically took forever to get there and she ran in the room, threw on her gown and gloves, pushed on that skin under the vagina opening and said I'm going to need to be cut and just cut before anyone had time to react. I remember Travis put his hand to his mouth and made the gagging motion. I think he grunted too. It was sort of comical.

November 28th, 2008, 07:39 AM
IAMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have not completely decided on this yet. My Mother REALLY wants to be there, but I think I want it to just be an experience for just DH and I. I feel VERY VERY guilty for not wanting her in there. She was there for all of my sister's kids birth's except the last one, but my sister was really young when she stated having kids (she was 16, 18,20, and 30). She tells me it's my decicion, but her face shows another story. I don't know what to do, but we have plenty of time to figure it out.
November 28th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Mommy2Makenna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
DH for sure. I'm still considering having my sister in there. DH will be great for personal support, but if I need someone to TALK to the nurses, or go out of his way to ASK for something, he is not great at that. My sister, on the other hand is GREAT at that. I know if I say 'I'm cold' she will hunt someone down and find me blanket -- DH, would wait for a good opportunity and maybe open his mouth. My sis can really get on my nerves because she talks a lot though. I think I will invite her in but tell her I reserve the right to either gag her or kick her out. I still need to talk with DH and see what he thinks though. DH is in the medical world, so I think he would be interested in seeing some of the "business end" and I'm quite sure he will want to cut the cord, but we still have a LOT of things to talk about. Once we get past our appointment on Wednesday and hear the heartbeat again (at 13 weeks) I'm sure we will be much more comfortable in starting to make our plans.

November 28th, 2008, 09:59 PM
kellyanne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
With Cori I had DH and a doula in the room. My mom and MIL were there really early on (induction) when I was just hanging out and eating dinner, but I had them leave when I felt like I needed to concentrate during contractions. My reason for not having them there was that I needed to focus....dh and doula knew my plan, my training, etc. It took so much focus that I think anyone else would have been a distraction.

I think things will be the same with this one, I just need to find a new doula because mine moved away. I also absolutely insist on lots of time alone with dh and baby before all the hoopla begins (weighing, parents coming in, passing baby around, etc.). Last time my doula went out and let them know that Cori was born and we were both doing well, then they came in 30 mins later or so. This time I want at least an hour alone. And no, I don't at all feel selfish or guilty about it.

3 angels Feb, Mar, Aug of 2008
November 29th, 2008, 12:28 AM
angelmomjen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to angelmomjen
I knew that there would be a NICU crew in there with me so I only let DH stay..I think it hurt my mamas feelings but I knew it qould be hectic. There was 15-20 people...the NICU crew..docs and nurses the nurses aids..it was crazy.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search