Movement questions

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 2nd, 2008, 09:26 PM
ShannonMVT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
1. How long till I feel movement very consistently?

2. How long till Dh can feel it?

I first started feeling movement around 16 weeks but it was at least a week until I really was sure I was feeling the baby. Now I usually feel baby around 4 times a day or so, maybe 3 kicks or so each time. Today, however, the little stinker has been so quiet. It has really had me worried. I've only felt a few "maybe" kicks all day, lighter than usual. But I've read that is normal and sometimes baby can be really active for several days and then have a slow day. Not sure if it's related but I've also had a lot of round ligament pain today.

I haven't gotten much of a chance to see if Dh can feel the baby. Usually I only feel a couple kicks and that's it, so by the time I could get his hand on my belly I know baby would stop moving. I think it's too early for him to feel it anyway.

Oh yeah one more thing... I told my doctor that I fall asleep on my side but sometimes wake up on my back. She said just put a pillow behind me so I don't turn onto my back. Well I did that but I still somehow turn on my back. It happened last night and I woke up with some pain. Hard to remember, since I was so out of it and sleepy, but I think it was when I woke up on my back. How can I keep myself from doing this? I don't want to hurt the baby!

Oh and P.S. mini update. At my last doc's appointment a week ago, I gained 5 lbs. The baby's heartrate was in the 140s but when I started talking it jumped into the 150s.

December 2nd, 2008, 10:00 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
It was between 22-24 weeks with all my pregnancies until it got regular and DH could feel it.

As for the sleeping on the back thing...here's what I think:

The circulation to your legs will be cut off before the circulation to your uterus, so you will wake up either in pain or uncomfortable because your legs are numb/tingly. As long as you try not to fall asleep on your back, it should be okay if you wake up on your back and move.

December 2nd, 2008, 10:04 PM
dee68's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to dee68
I was around 24 weeks or so too when the movements were regukar and when Mick felt them....maybe even later.
Katie had lazy days that drove me crazy !!!!

I propped a pillow behind my back so I would stay on my left side and it did help..maybe even fold it and then tuck it behind you.
I used to make Mick shove my pillow under me....lol

December 3rd, 2008, 06:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
22-24 at the earliest and then it depends on baby. My DS never let DH feel him kick. As soon as his hand got on my belly, DS would go off to sleep. I was hoping it would work after he was born but of course not.

Two words: Maternity (pregnancy) pillows. Reason is most only give you enough room to be on your side. Best part is they do support the belly as you get bigger. The best ones are the ones with back and belly support since they allow you to "flip" without moving it. I couldn't live without mine.

December 3rd, 2008, 09:01 AM
Pitridge's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Honetly I can't remember, but I think it was somewhere in the 20-22 week. I have heard that was long as you don't fall sleep or sleep on your back it's ok if you wake up on your back, just move to your side. I still wake up on my back sometimes, I just move to my side, no big deal.

December 3rd, 2008, 09:11 AM
Wee3monkeys's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm terrible with remembering things like this, but I'll agree with the other girls and say around the same time that movement was fairly consistent and SO felt it.

And I'm not much help with your back sleeping question either. I have never been a back sleeper, my problem is wanting to sleep on my stomach. Honestly, you won't want to lay on your back soon, baby will put too much pressure on your guts and diaphragm and it just won't be comfortable; and I bet that will put an end to the problem for you. Till then, I agree that a little time on your back is probably not going to be hurtful to your little one.

December 3rd, 2008, 09:16 AM
Mega Super Mommy
With Abby dh could feel her one day before 22 weeks. With Hannah it took much longer, in fact he saw my belly move before he could feel her kicking. I was about 26 weeks when he first felt her. Her movements weren't regular until after 28 weeks. Even then she would have a couple lazy days that would freak me out. My dr. told me that when they are that small they have a lot of room to move and could be kicking towards our backs and that is why we don't feel them as much. Since you started feeling the movements sooner than I did, you might get more regular ones quicker too. I hope so for you. I also had an anterior placenta though that got in the way.

I can't believe how far along you are already. Yay!! Almost half way there!

December 3rd, 2008, 07:35 PM
Platinum Supermommy
It wasn't until around 24wks that I felt consistant movement, and it was a bit later until I could feel the kicks on the outside. I wish I could say DH felt her, but the truth was whenever he went to put his hand on my belly she should would stop.
December 3rd, 2008, 09:01 PM
Jessica!'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jessica! Send a message via Yahoo to Jessica!
I can't answer the baby kicks because I'm too early for that.

However, I do have a maternity pillow. It's a full body pillow. I got it from Bed, Bath & Beyond for $50. BEST. BUY. EVER!! I loved using it even when I wasn't pregnant. I do wake up on my back in the middle of night, so I just flip right back to my side again. I don't think it's bad for the baby if you find yourself on your back at times. Just don't spend all night on your back.

December 4th, 2008, 03:06 PM
angelmomjen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to angelmomjen
I am about the same as the other girls...I am sure it was consistant around 26 weeks..but I was also on monitors for weeks around that time that I did not have to do counts..DH did not feel Nathan for a long time at least into the 30's. I did not have the back sleeping problem..but more for me the stomach sleeping. I was still waking up on my belly till the end..obvoiusly not completly on my stomach but I know I had to be squishing my lil man sometimes..I couldnt ever stop myself..Im sure when you get bigger you wont be able to sleep on your back bc it puts pressure on a nerve and can make you feel uncomfortable!
December 4th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Pound's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
you can rig a tennis ball and strap it to your back. that's a trick they say to use for people who snore when they sleep on their backs. i need to make one for dh HAHA. that might work if you don't want to spend the $ for a full boppy pillow thing.

i didn't feel movement (for sure) til about 19-20 wks, and this is my 2nd! but unless my hubby sits there w/ his hand on my belly for a long time, he misses the kicks. every time i call him to come feel, the baby stops (of course). but he's been able to feel it right around the time i started feeling it. you're still early, and it's your first. don't worry.

December 4th, 2008, 10:29 PM
ShannonMVT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks ladies. I'm going to get my booty down to Target and get a body pillow since they are only $20. I think I found a better way to wedge a pillow under my back so I don't turn over. Then I can have the body pillow for the other side.

Baby is back to being more active again and in fact the last couple mornings I have woken up and felt him kicking. He is already making mommy get up earlier.

Dh and I had watermelon tonight and I was showing off my belly, joking that I thought I swallowed a seed and he was like "Whoa! You look REALLY pregnant! What did you do?!" LOL!!!

December 5th, 2008, 12:03 AM
victorialv's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
21 weeks - consistent for me, DH could actually feel on the outside at 18 weeks, as could I

Angels in Heavan.
Helena May, June 28, 2007 & Alexander Michael, October 11, 2007

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search