Washing baby clothes

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 10th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Pitridge's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Don't laugh at me for asking
How do you wash baby clothes? I have that sanitize cycle on my washing machine which I heard is what you should use to wash baby clothes. Now, if I use that cycle wouldn’t that shrink the clothes? Also, what about detergent, did you use the same one that you use for your clothes? If you bought a special one which one did you buy?

December 10th, 2008, 10:30 AM
greenchild's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
we already use a natural detergent since DH has some sensitivities, so that's what I am using for baby clothes. But Kaiden hasn't arrived (obviously ) so I hope it works for him too. IDK about the sanitize cycle, I know my next washer will have one! but I was just going to use that for the cloth diapers.
December 10th, 2008, 10:33 AM
madmum_sarah's Avatar formally sarah_the_sane_1
i use sensitive detergent for my lot anyway so adding baby stuff was no harder.
i use boil wash for nappies but normal clothes i just put in a standard white wash unless they are pukey or other end messy
xx

Friends are the family you choose yourself and I love my JM sisters!
December 10th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
I always washed them normally...lol. As far as detergent, I use the color/perfume free detergent for myself, since my own skin is sensitive, so I just use that for Erin too, and always have. I actually have more sensitive skin than she does.

December 10th, 2008, 12:08 PM
woohoo502's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I use All Free and Clear. It was the cheapest of all the free and clear ones. I just wash them on the normal warm cycle. I don't even know if my washer has a sanitize cycle! Anything that has been pooped on, I soak in a bucket with this Oxy Clean baby stuff I found at BRU.

December 10th, 2008, 12:58 PM
dee68's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to dee68
I started with Dreft.....BUT at 10.00 a bottle, I don;t use that anymore ...lol
I buy the Arm and Hammer for Sensitive skin...more for the cloth diapers......I have on occasion used our detergent for some of her things also, like burp cloths and bibs...and we have had no skin reactions.

I would suggest any type " Free" detergent for the clothing.

December 10th, 2008, 01:21 PM
braeden&chase'smom's Avatar Veteran
I had the same question when I had my first one. I used Dreft because my son has sensitive skin, and I heard that with babies you should use a milder det. I always wash his clothes seperate from anything else. Oh, and I stopped using the Dreft this year, he is 18 mos. now and I haven't had any problems. As for the sanitize cycle, it helps if the baby wets his pj's or bedding, but I wouldn't say you have to use it all the time. Regular cycle, hot water would be good. My sanitize cycle goes for an hour and a half! I just can't do that all the time.

Hope this helps!

December 10th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Thank you all for your suggestions, I guess I should go and buy a different detergent, which it makes sense to me.

December 10th, 2008, 02:12 PM
jademyst13's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I bought some free and clear all for the babies, but since we were only taking one or two things at a time to the hospital those things got washed in with our regular detergent. It didn't bother them so now we aren't even trying to seperate them out.

Also a good note, most baby clothes are 100% cotton and will shrink ALOT. Even some of the preemie clothes shrank too much for us to use on a 4 pounder.
December 10th, 2008, 02:41 PM
*Judy*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
With Sophie (my 4 year old) we went out and bought dreft and washed all her stuff in it until she was about 6 months. Well with Ellie that all fell by the way side. I wash her clothes in the same stuff I use for everything else(generic costco brand liquid soap in my High Effeciency Washer). I do wash her stuff seperate though, and we have not had any problem. I always wash on cold so as not to shrink anything.
December 10th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Judy that's the detergent that we have the Costco brand HE, have to love costco.

December 10th, 2008, 07:54 PM
victorialv's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well, I don't know what you are really "supposed" to do, but after reading a lot of BTDT mom's advice on my DDC, I decided to buy the free and clear detergent and wash all of our stuff in that. Also, I use the gentle cycle for all baby stuff, but I use the normal temps as I would at any other time.

I probably screwed up the temp thing and will be sorry once he gets here and nothing fits because I shrunk it all.....

Oh well!

Angels in Heavan.
Helena May, June 28, 2007 & Alexander Michael, October 11, 2007
December 10th, 2008, 11:46 PM
angelmomjen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to angelmomjen
I have been use dreft..I got some from the baby shower..Nathan generates at least 3 loads a week, and I still have some left in that one bottle that I got. My SIL uses the arm and hammer free and clear and no problems. I think I will be using that as well, I guess the most important part is free of perfume.
December 12th, 2008, 08:02 PM
jademyst13's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh yeah we always wash in cold water anyway but the dryer shrank them

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search