new with progesterone question

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 11th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Regular
Hi Ladies,

I am hesitant to officially join the August DDC because of my 2 recent early miscarriages (July and Oct.). I guess I'm sort of expecting to lose this one too. Luckily, we are pregnant again (EDD 8/18) but I am finding myself terrified, constantly checking for blood. I had my levels checked at 17DPO and my beta was 388 and my prog. 11.4 My doctor said the progesterone was fine, they look for it to be over 11. I never had levels checked w/ the last 2 pgs., so I don't have anything to compare it to. My dr. also said he doesn't really believe in supplementing low progesterone, that many drs. now believe it doesn't cause a m/c, it is a signal that a m/c is coming and not preventable. I had seeked another opinion and this dr. agreed, but did state she would supplement me if I wanted. So I am basically confused!! Just wanted to find out what other women's #s were, and what they've been told by their drs. I will be getting my levels re-checked on Sat. Thanks in advance for any info.!!
December 11th, 2008, 06:07 PM
victorialv's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
First of all, congrats on the new pregnancy and welcome to PAL!! We are glad to have you here! Also, I am really sorry to hear of your losses. Hugs.

Secondly, if you are seeking opinions, I would get the progesterone. If nothing else than for your peace of mind. There is no harm in taking it, and if it makes you feel better, then I say "why not?"

ETA: I forgot to answer your questions! Silly me! My numbers were in the high teens/low 20's on progesterone, and at 15 DPO, my HCG was 169. My doctor prescribed progesterone and believed it could help sustain the pregnancy.

Angels in Heavan.
Helena May, June 28, 2007 & Alexander Michael, October 11, 2007
December 11th, 2008, 06:08 PM
jenn27's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi. The only time this pregnancy that I had mine checked was at 11DPO and my levels were 12.3. My dr wants to see the numbers over 11. Every dr is different though. I just had an u/s at 6 weeks 5 days and the baby seems to be doing fine. I know how worriesome all this can be though. i have been a nervous wreck up until my u/s today. I'm sure everything wil be fine. If you have done your research and you feel that the supplements would benefit you, then I say go for it. If nothing else, maybe it can give you peace of mind. It can't hurt I don't think. Good luck hun and KUP.

December 11th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I know exactly how you feel! I had my hcg levels taken twice and they seemed to be fine. But I still basically made my dr do a progesterone test today because I was worried it was low. But I've read the same thing, that a lot of Dr's think the low levels are because the pregnancy is failing, not the cause of it. So I don't know what my level is until tomorrow, but even if it's borderline I don't know if he'll want to supplement (or if it would even be too late to be useful).

I know how scary it is, and I feel EXACTLY like you do. I'm basically expecting to lose this pregnancy. I have an ultrasound Monday and I just have it in my mind that it won't go well and I'll be back to square one TTC#1. It's such a horrible thing to think! I can't offer you anything to help except to say please try not to stress.

Thinking of you!

December 11th, 2008, 10:04 PM
dee68's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to dee68
welcome to our board !!

we do have a chart with HCG's # in our Helpful Pregnancy Info Forum.
Honestly, when I was pregnant with Katie, my dr. didnt do hcg's ...and to tell you the truth I am glad !! with my first pregnancy(my angel) the dr. I was seeing did hcg's and I was in a constant turmoil.....numbers vary GREATLY ....

now, IMO progesterone should be checked and supplemented if needed....

best wishes to you and lots of sticky dust !!!

December 11th, 2008, 10:10 PM
~*Kixs*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats on your little bean!!!

I lost 2 last year very early like you but mine were May and October and then I got pg with my DS who was due 8/4 but born in July...take that as a good sign!!!

I have taken progesterone with both my kids. My number with DD was like a 9 and DS was 13 maybe. I have had good luck with it and IMO what can it hurt! It is a little pill and does not taste bad. It does make m/s worse for some but so what if you have a healthy baby in the end. If I were in your shoes I would ask for it!

Please PM if you need anything (((HUGS)))

December 12th, 2008, 05:35 AM
mom 2 haley & tyler's Avatar formerly mommy2haley17
I agree that if you would feel better taking it, just ask for it. It can't hurt. I know lots of ladies on here have taken it with much success. KUP

December 12th, 2008, 07:16 AM
Platinum Supermommy
and Congrat's! I'm sorry for your losses. I had 3 losses in 2006 before I got pg with Makenna. I was a nervous wreck.

When I was pg with my DD my levels were low and around 13 for the longest time. I was put on prog supp's and was on them until I was 12wks. My RE likes to see them over 20 to be safe, and she says it a "do no harm" kinda medication. I was nervous at first too, and played each day as it came. My levels did start to go up and my DD was born Sept 3 07 (she was due in August though, but was fashionably late).

This time my levels were over 90 and I didn't need to go on it! It just goes to show that each pregnancy can be vastyl different.

GL!
December 12th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Pitridge's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats and welcome to PAL!
I never had my level checked either, it wa snot even a topic of conversation with my doctor. I did not even know anything about it until I joined this board and heard other girls talk about it.

December 13th, 2008, 03:28 AM
Regular
Thanks for your stories and advice ladies! It helps to hear from others in the same situation. I will hopefully find out my new levels on Mon. and will talk to the dr. about prog. supplementation if it's still on the low side.

I'm hoping this gets less stressful. I'm a teacher and I feel like I spent most of yesterday fighting the urge to go the bathroom to check for blood. At times I realized I couldn't handle the rest of the day knowing I'd started m/cing so I waited, enjoying what I thought were my last moments of thinking I was pregnant. I have a bit of a creamy d/charge, which is what keeps tricking me. Craziness!! I keep reminding myself that we are blessed to be in this situation, with so many people trying and wanting to be pregnant.

Christine MA- did you find out your new levels? Is your dr. thinking you might hear the heartbeat on Mon.? My dr. doesn't usually ultrasound until close to 7 weeks. I haven't scheduled mine yet. The past 2 times I scheduled them right away, so I'm being a bit superstitious here. Good luck on Mon.- I'm thinking good thoughts for you!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search