Appt yesterday - Dr not checking HCG levels?

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 28th, 2006, 08:25 AM
Super Mommy
Went for my appt yesterday. Found out many things:

1) My Dr said that they did not check my HCG levels...WTH? I always thought that was routine, esp with prior m/c...

2) I gained 10 lbs since last months appt. But the Dr did not seem worried, so I guess it's o.k....

3) I have never had Chicken Pox. Now I am all nervous about getting near kids, even though most are vacinated for it...(anything to make me worry!)

4) Dr could not find nuggets hb. She said it may just be too early yet w/ the eq she was using. But since there was a good u/s on Mon and no warning signs, she is not worried. (wish I could say the same...)

Am I just worrying for no reason?
January 28th, 2006, 09:11 AM
Super Mommy
How many m/c's have you had? Unfortunately with some docs you have to PUSH for that b/w if you haven't had 3. I know that's almost sickening that they won't do it on their own. I had to push this time, having only had 2 in the past.

Also, they may just not be concerned about it anymore considering how far along you are. Maybe they just have full confidence in this pregnancy...?? I hope that's the case!!
Waiting for #2!
</div>
January 28th, 2006, 10:15 AM
soontobemommyto3
my DR doesn't do the beta numbers that a lot of people get done in early pregnancy. I also didn't push. Since my loss was later in pregnancy I wasn't overly concerned about m/c early (not any more so then I was in my other pregnancies).

My DR does do an HCG test with my first blood work. Why I have no idea, because he doesn't repeat it. I think it is just part of the pregnancy panel they do (they also test my blood type each time - like that is going to change from pregnancy to pregnancy ). But he never tells me the numbers.

At this point in the pregnancy, I don't think they use HCG as a perdictor of pregnancy health. They do use it as part of the 1st trimester screening if you are getting that done and they do use it in the AFP test. But at 12 weeks, I think it isn't really necessary since you've already seen the baby's heart beating away.
January 28th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Super Mommy
I think maybe I am just getting too worried. I was doing o.k. with all of the news until they could not hear the heartbeat. It was so strong when they did the u/s that I guess I was shocked that she could not find it. It's hard not to worry though. I am going back on the 17th and the next u/s is scheduled for the 20th unless I hear from them first (the maternal fetal medicine section is checking a bunch of my blood work to see if they can see anything abnormal there where I would need to take shots to carry to term.)
January 28th, 2006, 01:35 PM
Prudence's Avatar Super Mommy
This is the first pregnancy I had that they accually took blood and will probably have HCG lvls.
I am also with a different Dr. this time. My other Dr. never tested any lvls, at least he never gave me a count.

I wouldn't worry too much.
January 28th, 2006, 01:41 PM
hopin4a4rth
They only did it for me because I told them I NEEDED to see the #'s. Otherwise I wouldn't have had it done either.

It's still early to find the h/b W/ DD we didn't find it til 14 weeks. Try not to worry too much.
January 29th, 2006, 07:53 PM
Miranda and Maria's mommy's Avatar Not Mike's girl
OMgosh!
I was just about to post something like this....I nearly flipped out when I saw that my doctor wasn't checking my Hcg!! What a freak...Especially given my history. He isn't taking any test that 'confirms' my pregnancy at all! He took my word for it and gave me my due date--thanks buddy my ticker already says my date!...Doctors are their own breed...Glad to know that I'm not the only one with a slow one...

If I'm not here, find me on that other website
January 30th, 2006, 04:35 AM
Prudence's Avatar Super Mommy
Pyung-
I am surprised he didn't at least have you do a urine to confirm. That sounds crazy lol. My last two were urine, and then a blood test to check for aids and stuff.
This one I got blood drawn to confirm it, I am sorry what a silly dr. you have.
January 30th, 2006, 09:07 AM
Rina42308's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow...i would freak if my dr refused getting my levels checked...we did them every 4 days for the first 3 weeks I think...and I always called and asked what the numbers were and wrote them down...my dr is a sweetheart so she's not at all bothered by my "pushiness"...she totally caters to it...i know this would not be the case with all dr's but I encourage you to push your dr abotu getting in sooner...I am positive I would not sleep if I didn not hear a hb when I was expecting one...remember that we teach people how to treat us...if we let dr.'s blow us off they will continue to do so. Don't take no for an answer...the squeeky wheel gets the oil! If you want in sooner before the 17th stalk them tillthey let you in...call everymorning to see if there are any cancellations that you can take...
Best of luck to you...this is your baby, your body...you do what you need to to ahve peace during your pregnancy!

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." -Margaret Mead
February 1st, 2006, 08:57 PM
Miranda and Maria's mommy's Avatar Not Mike's girl
This was my first time meeting him so I was more taken aback I also didn't want to be too pushy at our first meeting. My old doctor did the urine thing, then did the blood work....sounds normal enough... I did tell him that I must have taken like 10 pregnancy tests at home, so he may have thought it pointless.To be honest, I think he's more of a 'hippie' type of thing...I will push for the Hcg test come next appointment. thanks for the advice tho....

If I'm not here, find me on that other website

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search