Chromosonal Loss and TTC

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 13th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Ryleeroo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi Ladies. There is not alot of resource out there for what I have been through. Our baby (who was due in June 2009) was diagnosed with full Trisomy 18, he went to heaven on February 10th. Just in case- you dont know what Tri 18 is, it is when the child has 3 chromosone 18's instead of the normal two. Most babies do not survive in utero and can live for a few hours/months if they do)

Anyways, Has anyone ever been through this and conceived another child? I believe this would be the same for 13,18,21. They say it is a fluke thing and you are at no greater chance of it happening again, (Im onlly 26) and Im trusting them. But, I guess I want some comfort for anyone that has been through it.

McKenna Claire 3-12-2010
Angel in Heaven 3/16/2011- 12.3 weeks
February 13th, 2009, 10:25 AM
*Jennifer*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I haven't had this happen, but just wanted to offer my condolences. I'm so sorry for your loss.
February 13th, 2009, 10:31 AM
IAMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Many, Many, Many for you. I am so sorry for your loss. My heart is breaking for you. May your angel rest in peace.

I think I would trust your Dr, in that the chances of your next child having Trisomy 18 is most likely pretty slim. I have not had personal experience with a loss from Trismoy 18, but my aunt and uncle had a downs syndrome child years back. They were very nervous to have another baby afterwards, but they went to a genetic counsler who determined that there was no defined reason for my cousin to have downs, that is was just a fluke occurance. With that news, they went on to have a healthy son.

I lost my last pg at 20 weeks due to one twin having spina bifida and then both twins having TRAP Sequence. I was absolutly terrified of it happening again, even though the chances were slim to none. I am now 24 weeks along, and so far everything is OK. I just wanted to tell you that, to let you know that you do have a huge chance to have a normal pg after you loss, and that it is OK to be scared and nervous when you decided to TTC again. The next time around, I am sure that your dr will take extra percausions with you, and you will be offered more teseting (u/s, blood work). We are also here for you if you have any questions or need anything at all.

February 13th, 2009, 10:32 AM
dee68's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to dee68
I am so very very sorry for you loss......

I have not been through that, but wanted to offer you some hugs and some support.
I have heard however that it does not mean it will happen again ~

February 13th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I am so sorry for your loss of your sweet son I dont know much about trisomy but wanted to send you my thoughts and prayers
February 13th, 2009, 11:38 AM
Melanie0507's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
First, I am so sorry for your loss.

I don't know anything about Trisomy 18, but is there any way your doctor could send you to genetic counseling, just for your peace of mind? Just a thought...

I hope you stick around! I look forward to getting to know you!
Owen 5/17/09 (Born with Hirschsprung's Disease)
And expecting our newest addition 5/7/12

February 13th, 2009, 11:42 AM
kellyanne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am so sorry for your loss. My last m/c (which was at 10 weeks) I had a d&c and had the baby tested. Our testing came back that the baby had a general form of Trisomy, meaning that the baby had a whole extra set of chromosomes. Most babies with this type of Trisomy don't even make it through the first trimester, but I did read about some who made it to birth or even lived a few hours. I was told the same thing, that it is a fluke. I do have 2 other unexplained early losses though. I waited one cycle after my d&c and conceived again. I'm now 23 weeks and everything is looking okay so far. Again, I'm so sorry for what you've had to go through, but I do believe that it is encouraging that the docs say it shouldn't happen again.

3 angels Feb, Mar, Aug of 2008
February 13th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
I don't have any more to add than what Sam did. Deciding to TTC after any kind of loss is terrifying. I didn't lose Cora for any sort of genetic reason, it was a cord accident. It was one of those fluke things that I don't have any higher chance of now, but it still scares me.

Good luck honey!

February 13th, 2009, 12:58 PM
proudmommato4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just wanted to say how very sorry that I am. I have a total of four losses. My last loss was at alittle more than 12 weeks, after both seeing and hearing the heartbeat. We had that baby tested, and were told that the baby had trisomy 18. I was also told that is was a fluke, and that I was able to try and concieve again. Which we did and I went on to have a pefect baby this past Sept 26th. I wil keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

WE WILL NEVER FORGET OUR FOUR ANGELS IN HEAVEN!

February 13th, 2009, 01:59 PM
sarah*'s Avatar Loving My Piglets
Hi hun

Just passing and saw this.

I was 19 when i gave birth to my first baby and she was lost due to a chromosonal problem (she had 45xo) missing a whole X chromosone the doctor told me it would be like being hit by lightning twice for this to happen again, that it was one in a million.

I have gone on too have two healthy children since then, hope this helps x

Sarah (27) married to Stuart (31)
together for 10.5 years married for 4.5 years.
mummy too....
Ryleigh (8yrs - April 24th 2006)
Rhianna (7yrs - June 7th 2007)
Lacey (6yrs - June 5th 2008)
Lucas (4yrs - April 26th 2010)
Connor (1yrs - February 15th 2013)

February 13th, 2009, 05:08 PM
LadyLacy's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm so very sorry for the loss of your sweet son

my friend lost her dd to Trisomy 18 and she carried her for 6 mos. she went on to have 2 healthy boys.

your in my thoughts and prayers

M/C 6wks 4days Jan09 & 4wks 5days Nov 05, 3/25/09dnc[10wks 3d]Jan/24/2010[11wks baby stopped growing at 7+ wks]
February 13th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I just wanted to say I am sorry for the loss of your sweet baby boy. TTC after a loss is difficult no matter what. I lost my baby girl at 27 weeks from my clotting disorders but I have talked to several others that lost theirs from trisomy and that went on to have healthy babies. You might also try the stillbirth forum for more information and it is a great place for extra support in the grieving process. Hugs!

February 13th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to tracalyn Send a message via MSN to tracalyn Send a message via Yahoo to tracalyn
You may or may not remember me from June DDC. I lost my second daughter to full placental abruption at 20w gestation. I was told that they DON'T happen at 20w and my OB's ran every test they could think of to prove to me that it was just a fluke. I know it's not quite the same as what you are going through though. My third daughter is due June 1st. I honestly have been so scared that the same thing would happen to this one as well. I wouldn't allow myself to buy anything for her until I was 'sure' she was ok.

The ladies here, in the stillbirth forums AND TTCAL are a great group of ladies who are here for you and the rest of us just trying to make it through. It's a club none of us want to be a member of, but we're a really tight knit group.

I am thinking of you and yours Karen.

February 13th, 2009, 06:46 PM
*becky*'s Avatar Mommy to Bailey & Camryn
I just wanted to add that I'm so sorry about your loss.

February 14th, 2009, 07:51 AM
Ryleeroo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thank you all for your personal stories. It's really nice to know that I have a place to come and talk to others that have been through similar situations. And I appreciate hearing them, they give me hope!

I'm normally quite the chatter, but since its not even been a week, I am finding myself wanting to go check my DDC club forum to see how everyone else is (NOT A GOOD THING when you are still soppsed to be one of them ) I know it takes time, but you ladies seems awesome and a great support to get through this.
McKenna Claire 3-12-2010
Angel in Heaven 3/16/2011- 12.3 weeks
February 14th, 2009, 08:29 AM
heathernoel's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am SO sorry for your loss...

I don't have anything particularly helpful to add...but I'm thinking of you and your angel.
February 14th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Veteran
Just wanted to say how sorry I am for your loss. I often lurk on the June DDC boards so I had been following your story. I have only had early losses, and those were devestating so I can only imagine how you are feeling right now. The forums that have already been mentioned were really helpful to me after my second loss, and this forum is also great..even for people like me who don't post a lot. I haven't heard many others talk about this on here but I also went to counseling after my miscarriage andI found it to be really helpful. Anyway, just wanted to let you know that you are in my thoughts and though it will never go away- the pain of loss does decrease over time. And, as scary as it is trying again, chances are very good that everything will go perfectly. The only difference, I think, is that once you have had a loss pregnancy becomes both more special and miraculous, and more worrysome and scary. People who have never experienced pregnancy losses often cannot relate to this.

Baby Bria born 5/6/09

February 14th, 2009, 01:20 PM
Super Mommy
Hi, my name is Jen, i lost my Trisomy 18 baby just over 4 months ago. Our Maggie was with us for one day shy of 5 months when she passed. We had no idea she had T18, she was diagnosed 3 days after birth. Here is our blog about maggie Maggie's blog When we found out about her T18 all i could think was that i never wanted to have another baby again, it was just so painful the thought of it all. Much to our surprise I found out 2 weeks after her funeral that I was expecting again. So I never had to struggle with TTC.
I know that Maggie's T18 was a fluke and total random thing, but i still can't help feel very nervous. Thankfully so far everything seems fine with this baby, we just found out that it is another girl.

i know how you feel about visiting your old DDC. I lurk sometimes on my old DDC, it is very hard to see all of the other babies doing stuff that Maggie should be doing but never will.

IF you need to talk, feel free to message me. I don't know if i can really be of much help but i would like to try.

Thanks to Quantum_Leap for my siggie

February 14th, 2009, 09:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm so sorry for your loss. I've had 3 losses in a 9 month span, and after my 3rd loss I had genetic testing (amongst other tests) to find out why I kep having recurrent m/c's. It turns out I have a genetic condition that puts me at a higher risk for having a baby with Trisomy 13 and my 3 losses (well, except for my 1st loss which was an ectopic) were most likely a Trisomy (13 or 14) or Monosomy (13 or 14)condition.

My condition is called a Balanced Translocation (mine just so happens to be between chromosomes 13-14). It gives me a 69% m/c risk with every pregnancy, and I also have a 1% chance of having a baby born with Trisomy 13. I had my DD in Sept 07 and she's completely healthy (although a carrier like myself) and I'm currently pg again and so far there's no signs of Trisomy 13.

It's scary to TTC knowing about the condition that I have. I've been fortunate and never had to TTC after finding out about my condition. I found out about it when I was 10wks pg with Makenna, and I got pg this time while still BF'ing and away on vacation (I haven't seen AF since Nov 06). I wish you all the best. TTC'ing after a loss is hard, and even harder when you know the reason (sometimes).

Chances are very good that it was "fluke" and just one of those things and not genetics. If you're concerned about it though you could always get genetic testing done on yourself and you DH to rule out that worry.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search