Is there hope?

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 14th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Newbies
Ok, so this is a rather long story. But in Oct. 2008 I found out I was pregnant. I had not had a period since July and therefore the whole situation was messed up. But I had taken pregnancy tests in September and they were all negative. Then I took one Oct. 14 and it was positive. I got an exam at my first midwife appointment and she determined I was somewhere in between 8 and 10 wks pregnant. But she could not find a heartbeat. So I had an u/s scheduled a few days later. All that we could see on the u/s was a gestational sac and the u/s tech said I looked like I was in early pregnancy. But when I got home I started researching and I found out about blighted ovums, missed miscarriages, etc. I put myself in a bit of a frenzy and got really emotional. I was also under a ton of other stress dealing with college and not knowing for sure when I got pregnant which made 2 guys a possible father. Then I started bleeding and eventually miscarried on November 8th.

Well, after my miscarriage I had a period December 19th, and then again on January 20th. But come February 19, 20, 21, etc I did not have a period. I waited until after Feb. 25th because sometimes my periods come between the 20th and 25th. I tested on the 27th I think but it was negative. (I knew I had to be pregnant though because period was late, bbs were sore, and I had experienced nausea a couple times.) So I tested again March 1st, and I got a positive.

Well, I had my first midwife appointmend March 11th. She only took medical history and checked what she already had. She did not give me an exam or anything. Well, the day before my appointment I had pinkish spotting for a couple wipes but it dissapeared. I mentioned it at the appointment and she noted it. Well I was scheduled for an u/s on Friday the 13th to check viability. But later that night on March 11th I started spotting light red blood. Well I went for my u/s Friday and all we saw was a sac again. The u/s tech said I was before 5 wks of pregnancy or I had already miscarried. Well, this happened last time and so I was a little taken aback. I was supposed to be 7 wks pregnant by my dates which I know are not wrong. (Concerning my last menstrual period.)

So I figured that I would start miscarrying this weekend. But come Friday night around 10pm my spotting stopped. This confused me. (It has not returned yet.) No matter how I manipulate my dates, whether making my cycles 40 days long or 35, they are around 31 days long. But I can only get a 5 wk 6 day time as my lowest. And the u/s tech said I was under 5 wks.

Well, the spotting stopped which just confuses me. I don't know if I should still be expecting the worst scenario or not. I cannot talk to my midwife until Monday and know the results of my HCG test I took on Wed. to see if it adds up with my u/s or not. What is the likelihood that I could be over 5 wks but the u/s machine still say I am under 5 wks and everything will be ok? I just need to know if perhaps everything will be ok or if I should expect to miscarry eventually. Any advice is good.
March 14th, 2009, 07:21 PM
*Bobbie*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Spotting is pretty normal.... but really scarry! I spotted till 13 weeks or so and sometimes even bled. My baby was fine. They also said my gestational sac wasn't growing at the same rate as the baby. My baby was fine

Unfortunately there isn't much you can do but wait it out.... and think positive. Not all u/s machines or techs are the best...they can be wrong. You could have a tilted uterus. You could have ovulated late and had a late implanter...or a slow starter Not all pregnancies are textbook pregnancies and they do end in healthy babies.

Good luck at your next appointment...and be sure to come back and let us know how things are going.

LOTS of sticky dust coming your way Don't give up hope!

Google misdiagnosed miscarriage if you need some inspirational stories

On 1/31/12 at exactly 16 weeks pregnant Noah came too soon. He was our 7th loss
If you would like to see pictures of my sweet (but tiny) boy they can be viewed at www.caringbridge.org/visit/noahdarrohn they aren't the easiest pictures to look at but I am willing to share them with anyone who would like to see them <3
On August 2, 2012 we lost Sarah at 17 weeks. She was our 8th loss Her pictures can be viewed at http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/sarahdarrohn
There is no known explanation for my losses.

March 15th, 2009, 06:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
It also depends on how they did the ultrasound. Vaginal is more accurate than abdominal.
Like Bobbie said techs can make mistakes.

http://stitchingthroughlife.blogspot.com/ my cross stitch blog, my outlet.
http://chriscrossdesigns.blogspot.com/ my Cross Stitch Designs

March 15th, 2009, 06:30 AM
Chunky Monkey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Chunky Monkey Send a message via Yahoo to Chunky Monkey
I also experienced spotting from 5-9 weeks with heavy heavy bleeding around 7 weeks. I was told I had already miscarried by my doctor and without confiirming with another beta and/or ultrasound he wanted to schedule me for a D&C. But we wanted to know so he ordered both and came back later like "oh I guess I was wrong."

So it is possible to spot and bleed and have a normal pregnancy.

Oh and when I went for my 5/6w ultrasound I was told the sac was empty but then when I went back a week later they saw baby with a strong heartbeat moving around. I am now almost 15w.

Good luck!

March 15th, 2009, 07:54 AM
Melanie0507's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am sorry you are going through all this

At my first early U/S this pregnancy, my doctor told me that I was only 5 weeks or so, which I KNEW was impossible, but then I went back a week later and everything measured right where it was supposed to be.

So, don't give up hope!!! Find out your HcG numbers and try to take it one day at a time!

Let us know what happens! You will be in my T&Ps!
Owen 5/17/09 (Born with Hirschsprung's Disease)
And expecting our newest addition 5/7/12

March 15th, 2009, 01:06 PM
angelmomjen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to angelmomjen
I had heavy bleeding several times, and spotting until I was 13 weeks pregnant, and I now have a 6mth old little boy..Everything can be ok. Many prayers for a stickbaby
!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search