What Can I Take For Nausea/Vomiting?

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 8th, 2009, 01:54 PM
BakingMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What is safe for me to take for nausea and vomiting? Roald was born still at 25 weeks in November and they told me all tests came back normal. They also said he looked fine and so did his placenta. They mentioned nothing about any blood clots or abnormalities, etc. They told me the most likely cause of death was that his unusually thin/lean umbilical cord (which had no Wharton's jelly practically) had bent or folded, cutting off blood and oxygen. They told me sometimes babies just have lean cords, but when I explained to them my husband and I suspected I had severe morning sickness they told me it was possible his lean cord was caused by my not keeping down enough nutrients.

Well I've been nauseas all week and today I had a migraine early in the morning. I always vomit when I get a migraine (I don't get them often, though) and my vomiting left my throat all torn up and it just flashed me back to puking when I was pregnant with Roald. It was terrible. I remember one time close to his death I was puking when my stepson was still i nschool and my husband was at work and Roald was kicking me so hard. I remember rubbing my tummy where I felt him and saying "It's okay" (my puking was really violent and had alot of bile in it) but it just drives me crazy thinking about it now.

I need something to help me not vomit! And of course the stupid Women's Health Center told me they don't give free appointments and their idea of low-cost high-risk prenatal appointment was $800 with a 10% discount!!! Grr!!! I left them a message letting them know how I'm feeling crappy and that I'd like to know what they recommend but really I just want them to feel bad and give me that appointment before May (I'll be 11 weeks by the time I am insured and get to have an appointment).

Thanks to Mommy2Belle for my Roald blinkie!
April 8th, 2009, 02:11 PM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
HUGS Bonnie! m/s can be so tough - how frequently are you vomiting and are you able to keep fluids down?

Start with the simplest solutions first (if you haven't already) - try keeping crackers like saltines handy and eat a couple every hour to try to keep something in your stomach. Some people have better success with a little protein - a little cheese or peanut butter if you can stomach it.

I'm a big believer (after a nasty incident involving hard pretzels) of eating only things that will come up easily when m/s is at its worst (sorry if that's TMI/gross)...if you can keep it down, consider mashed potatoes and similarly smooth/easy foods just in case.

Lots of people swear by the preggo pops and ginger (chewable, hard candy or there are ginger drinks)...neither worked for me at all, but try and see if they help.

I found water actually made my m/s worse when i was vomiting, so try iced tea (decaf) or a light version of gatoraid (i found one type of Vitamin Water i could drink) instead...sometimes sucking on ice helps...and again you could make cubes with something flavored. I found peppermint tea actually did help when i could keep it down...just a thought.

All of that said, if you're vomiting more than 3-5 times a day and especially if you can't keep fluids down, then it's time to go to doctor or ER. I waited too long with my first pregnancy (it didn't hurt the baby) and ended up in ER for IVs...if the vomiting is impacting your ability to keep fluids down you may need m/s meds. I take both Zofran & Phenergan for mine - and it has been a lifesaver, so consider them if yours gets to be too much to handle.

Hope you feel better soon! HUGS

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
April 8th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am sooo sorry you are feeling so ill. With my first PG, I found that sucking on candy such as Sprees or sweetarts worked. Hard candy, if it wasn't too sweet, was good too. But. my m/s has always been pretty mild...gagging, no actual vomiting. I hope they can give you something...B-Natals are like Preggy pops. I've heard they work. KUP!!!

April 8th, 2009, 09:01 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Oh honey, I know it's normal to be scared, but try not to worry TOO much. I get so very very very very sick when pregnant, vomiting the entire time, and so far hasn't been linked to harm to my babies (as Cora's cause of death didn't have anything to do with that).

For me the only things that REALLY help were the prescription meds (phenargen, etc), but I did notice that lemon ginger tea if it was cool helped a little.

I'll ditto Lara, I ended up in the ER on an IV with Cora because I was throwing up once an hour (for 24 hours) and started throwing up blood. Talk about scary. So don't let it get that far. If you can't hold down clear liquids then talk to a Dr, because dehydration can make the sickness worse.

Anyway, good luck!

April 9th, 2009, 02:24 AM
princesskate's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I dont know anything about meds to stop sickness ect but I just wanted to send hugs and say I hope you feel better soon xxx

My first weight loss goal is to lose 21lbs, which is 10% of my body weight
April 9th, 2009, 07:48 AM
~*Kixs*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
(((HUGS))) Morning sickness is a curse and a blessing. It feels terrible but it reminds you that your body is making all those fun pg hormones. I had it for 7m when I was pg with my DD and 5m with DS. And I would throw up 10x a day or so...it was bad! But both my children are healthy. Your body gives everything it has to the baby and you get the nutrients that are left over. I am so sorry for the loss of your son (((HUGS))) but remember that every pg is different and the same situations (m/s) any not effect this baby in the same ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-SBB View Post
I'm a big believer (after a nasty incident involving hard pretzels) of eating only things that will come up easily when m/s is at its worst (sorry if that's TMI/gross)...if you can keep it down, consider mashed potatoes and similarly smooth/easy foods just in case.

TMI but every morning I would eat half of a banana before I got out of bed then run and jump in the shower so I could throw up in there and not have to clean it up. The banana gave my body something to get rid of so I did not have so much bile coming up that stuff is nasty!

I am like Brittanie though...phenargen is the only thing that really worked for me. When I was pg with my DD I did not have insurance until I was 7m pg. My doctor knew it and would lovingly give me free samples at each visit...it was only 4-5 pills but it was enough to help me on the really hard days. My OB also waited to bill me for anything until after delivery so my insurance picked up the tab. The only thing I paid for out of pocket was labs and u/s. Do you think your OB would be willing to do something like this? Does not hurt to ask.

For over the counter help I found that eating small meals all day really helped. Sipping gingerale or bubbly water...sucking hard candies...sleeping...protien - it is weird but protiens helped settle my stomach. I would eat piece of turkey lunchmeat like they were going out of style. And some times put chive creamcheese on them for flavor.

I hope you feel better soon!

April 9th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
When I was sick at the beginning of this last pregnancy, someone suggested to me to try avoiding gluten. She said she stopped eating gluten it really helped her. I didn't get the chance to try it because I was living in a REALLY little town and they didn't have much gluten free stuff and it was really expensive. But I just wanted to suggest it, in case it works for you.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search